Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Work Boots

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Work Boots
Reply #120 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:59 PM
Just ordered these on sale for $115 CAD. It's a pretty good deal for Canada. They're Justin JB1104s.
(Image removed from quote.)

I am wearing some cheap walmart boots right now and they have actually have been pretty good so far. I just want something else to wear that comes up a bit higher to keep the dirt out. I plan to just wear them until they wreck, and see how they do. They're not the biggest work boots, but I think that they will be fine for driving and operating machinery. If they don't work, I think that I will be trying out these Cabela's Roughneck 8" Plain Toe Ledger Work Boots. The leather looks good and Cabelas boots are usually pretty good.

Nice boots. I really want to order some Justin's. I have been looking at a certain pair and they are the cheapest they have ever been. If they don't drop in price tomorrow for the Amazon Prime sale event I will probably pick them up. Here's to hoping the price does not go up before then.

http://www.amazon.com/Justin-Boots-Collection-Waterproof-Tan/dp/B005JIBMX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436937849&sr=8-1&keywords=justin+camo+boots

I have a pair of Justin's like the camo topped ones above except they aren't camo they are light tan :cheers: This is the third pair I have had of those and I really like them :cheers: I gave more for the first pair $110 or $115 :think: but got the other two pairs at Tractor Suppy Company on Black Friday special for around $70 :cheers:

I love boots :dd:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #121 on: July 15, 2016, 07:50:26 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #122 on: July 15, 2016, 07:52:16 PM
Its been a while since we talked boots.  Ive gone thru my latest pair of hiking shoes for work and was in the market for boots again.  I had one heck of a time deciding.  First off let me tell you that insoles for me a crucial.  I can easily do over 24 hours on my feet in a weekend.  I have been thru various insoles and recently decided to get Spenco Polysorb Heavy Duty ( $20 ).  I have been walking on these for about a week now and so far I like them a lot.

Now back to boots, after going thru reviews and visiting stores locally, what a pain.  I went to Red Wing among others, I also chatted with Poncho.   I went with Thorogood boots model 814 4355 ( $140 ).  I should get next week.  I went with the Thorogood sizing chart and relied on reviewers experiences.  I also took into consideration my current boot size.  If they fit, I wear them for a bit and follow up with my impressions. 

I have to say for $100 less that similar RWs I had to get them.  I've never owed RWs tho others who have have reported these very well "may be" RW killers, we'll see. 

Take care of your feet guys  :salute:

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Thorogoods :cheers: The same week we talked about them a guy at work was asking me had I ever heard about them as he was gonna order some as well :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: July 15, 2016, 08:06:23 PM
I asked so many people and I no one has any experience with them.  A guy I know wears Chippewa but he drives heavy equipment so he gets about 3-4 years from his boots.  Most guy as we talked run Wolverines, Die Hards, Timberlands, Carolinas, as well as all the other brands.  I honestly don't know anyone who wears RWs on the sites I've been on. 

I've noticed a lot of hikers over the years and roofing boots even for guys who don't roof  :D.  These boots will get run thru the ringer as soon as they arrive and hopefully fit.  My last pair of hikers are slowly dying, I've hit them with the AED Defib this week to get a few more days out of them  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #124 on: July 15, 2016, 08:07:04 PM
The only thing I really wear now a days are new balance, a very low cut hiking boot. They seem to have that perfect fit, especially since they have those wide like 3E 9-1/2's, normally I'd have to bump up to a size 10 to get that little extra width,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #125 on: July 23, 2016, 12:18:38 AM
I got my boots in and thankfully they fit.  I ordered a full size down scrolling my fingers.  I realized I wear anything from a 11 1/2 to 12 depending on the shoe.  I checked a pair of nicer boots I had a they were 10 1/2  :think: which is why I went with a size down. 

I think American made boots a more generous fit wise compared to overseas made boots YMMV. 

I thought they were terrific looking right out the box and the fit being dead on.  They are very comfortable right out the box with NO hotspots or anything.  The leather is softer than Red Wings so honestly I can say, no "real" break in time. 

I didn't treat them with oil yet but I am eventually.  The leather is oiled and baseball glove soft.  Not flimsy by any mean, just not feet aching tough leather. 

I paid $130 online which I feel is fair for USA made boots of this quality.  The review were pretty strong, 4 1/2 stars with several former Red Wing wearers.  I'm not bashing RW just reporting what I read. 

I may get another pair ( different model ) just to kick around town in. 

As of right now I can say I'm happy tho as always time will tell how they hold up. 

IMG_1196 copy.jpg
* IMG_1196 copy.jpg (Filesize: 164.16 KB)
IMG_1197 copy.jpg
* IMG_1197 copy.jpg (Filesize: 166.37 KB)
IMG_1199 copy.jpg
* IMG_1199 copy.jpg (Filesize: 134.56 KB)
IMG_1206 copy.jpg
* IMG_1206 copy.jpg (Filesize: 136.18 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: July 23, 2016, 04:36:13 AM
Those look like some nice work boots :cheers: I would like to hear your thought on them after you have worn them a while :tu:

I love that they don't have a very deep treaded sole :cheers: I have had boots that you couldn't wear on certain jobs because they picked to much mud up as you walked :( Those look about right to me :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: July 23, 2016, 07:57:27 AM
I'll update this thread as time goes on.  I also like the flatter tread for all the same reasons. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #128 on: July 23, 2016, 04:00:17 PM
Those are nice looking boots   :cheers:     Congrats !!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: July 27, 2016, 05:12:16 PM
I treated them with a paste preservative I had for my other boots.  Not sure what it is as the label came off years ago.  I may get some Obenaufs LP as well. 
IMG_1303 copy.jpg
* IMG_1303 copy.jpg (Filesize: 159.02 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #130 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:45 AM
I treated them with a paste preservative I had for my other boots.  Not sure what it is as the label came off years ago.  I may get some Obenaufs LP as well.

So how are they holding up Aloha :pok: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #131 on: August 09, 2016, 01:09:10 AM
Great!  I do have one complaint.  I wish they wouldn't have used an eyelet at the top after the speed lace attachments.    It not a huge deal breaker as I knew before hand but still.  Very comfortable to be in for 8 plus hours. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #132 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:37 AM
Great!  I do have one complaint.  I wish they wouldn't have used an eyelet at the top after the speed lace attachments.    It not a huge deal breaker as I knew before hand but still.  Very comfortable to be in for 8 plus hours.

I have had boots like that before and I never have understood why they put those after the speed lace part ???

Glad they are holding up to your expectations and are comfortable :tu:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #133 on: August 09, 2016, 05:52:08 AM
  Wished I knew of a great pair of boots with ankle support, softer soles for working on concrete/cement floors, and supported us bigger men types. Heels been aching all year, and now starting to get knee muscle aches. Ibuprofen doesn't always work, and it makes the rest of the body feel tired too.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #134 on: August 09, 2016, 05:56:56 AM
I got my boots in and thankfully they fit.  I ordered a full size down scrolling my fingers.  I realized I wear anything from a 11 1/2 to 12 depending on the shoe.  I checked a pair of nicer boots I had a they were 10 1/2  :think: which is why I went with a size down. 

I think American made boots a more generous fit wise compared to overseas made boots YMMV. 

I thought they were terrific looking right out the box and the fit being dead on.  They are very comfortable right out the box with NO hotspots or anything.  The leather is softer than Red Wings so honestly I can say, no "real" break in time. 

I didn't treat them with oil yet but I am eventually.  The leather is oiled and baseball glove soft.  Not flimsy by any mean, just not feet aching tough leather. 

I paid $130 online which I feel is fair for USA made boots of this quality.  The review were pretty strong, 4 1/2 stars with several former Red Wing wearers.  I'm not bashing RW just reporting what I read. 

I may get another pair ( different model ) just to kick around town in. 

As of right now I can say I'm happy tho as always time will tell how they hold up.

What are there, and where did you get them? :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #135 on: August 09, 2016, 06:09:09 AM
The boots I got are Thorogood pictured above.  I got them on amzon for $130.  The leather is quite a bit softer than Red Wings which means no break in ( for me at least ).  The soles are very comfy as well with no slip so far and cushy to walk in.  The insoles are great so far as well. 

The ball of my feet is where the aching for me is,  You are so right that Ibuprofen stops working especially after 10 days of 8 plus hours on your feet.  I have had back issues in the past and after a while on my feet everything starts to hurt.  I know its part of getting older and being on my feet for days on end and hours at time.   

Maybe look in to a quality orthotic if you haven't already.  I got some Spenco Heavy Duty insoles [url]https://www.spenco.com/product.aspx?prodid=42[url] for another pair of boots and they feel great.  Insoles or orthotics wont help much in a poor made shoe. 

I also upgraded my socks as well.  Thicker and more cushion in the heel and ball of my foot.  I cannot recall the name of them.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #136 on: August 10, 2016, 09:03:20 PM

Could you get a speed lace piece added to them ?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #137 on: August 11, 2016, 03:12:06 AM

I'm getting used to threading the lace thru the eyelet.  I don't know if it is or isn't possible.  Not a terrible thing but weird why they did it.  When I looked at the boots I knew beforehand so I'm not terribly bummed. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #138 on: August 11, 2016, 04:27:16 AM

I'm getting used to threading the lace thru the eyelet.  I don't know if it is or isn't possible.  Not a terrible thing but weird why they did it.  When I looked at the boots I knew beforehand so I'm not terribly bummed.

When they are like that I usually don't bother with it past the speed lace spot ::) At 4:15 am I can't think good enough to lace the speed lace part let alone another spot that has to be threaded through :facepalm: :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:28:17 AM by Poncho65 »

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #139 on: August 13, 2016, 03:50:18 PM
Does anyone have any experience with "Original SWAT" boots? I'm looking at their 9" side zip safety boot. Specifically the Canadian version that is CSA approved. http://www.originalswat.com/ca_en/product-classic-9-sz-safety-black.html

Thanks!
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Reply #140 on: August 13, 2016, 07:09:25 PM
  Military surplus used to have those zippered leather pieces that you somehow lace to your boots then use a zipper to get the boots on or off.

• GI Military Jungle Boot Zipper Laces
 • THOROGOOD LACE AND ZIP 1 Pair Pack

Me, my feet swell at various times and I since the boots up super tight so they won't get worse later on. Then adjust later if needed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:12:12 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #141 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:46 PM
  Military surplus used to have those zippered leather pieces that you somehow lace to your boots then use a zipper to get the boots on or off.
 • GI Military Jungle Boot Zipper Laces
 • THOROGOOD LACE AND ZIP 1 Pair Pack

Me, my feet swell at various times and I since the boots up super tight so they won't get worse later on. Then adjust later if needed.

That is something I have never seen before ??? I wonder how well it would work out in the field :think: Thanks for that Oii :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #142 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:50 PM
ive had a pair of timberland splitrocks for two weeks now, they are comfortable enough but the heel wont stop rubbing! two weeks in and i got a blister from wearing them  :facepalm:
I

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #143 on: September 23, 2016, 03:45:54 AM
I've been using Blundstones for the last 8 months.  The Brand is from Tasmania Australia, not sure where they're made.  Steel toe and non-puncture shank.  Lightest quality safety boots I've ever worn.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #144 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:54 PM
My boots are working out very nice.  I"ll snap a pic later today.  I need to give them a good clean and as always apply a little protectant.  They've had a long couple months and my feet are still very happy.  I haven't had to switch out insoles which is a good thing.  The ones that came in the boots are pretty nice.  My feet still get tired but thats because of how long I'm on my feet daily. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #145 on: October 04, 2016, 05:29:51 AM
Well my irish setters are starting to fall apart and had a recent birthday so I had a little cash and boots are a necessity for work so I bought a new pair. After a lot of debating and searching I came across a pair of Chippewa's for a fair price. I always wanted a pair even, more than Redwings so this is exciting for me. I just hope they fit and live up to the hype.  :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: October 04, 2016, 06:33:50 AM
Bummer to hear of the Irish Setters short life.  I had a guy recommend the Chippewa boots to me.  He drives heavy equipment and has worn them exclusively.  I had already got my boots but I did take a look.  I hope these boots work out for you Cap. 

Happy belated Bday.     

Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #147 on: October 06, 2016, 10:15:26 PM
Bummer to hear of the Irish Setters short life.  I had a guy recommend the Chippewa boots to me.  He drives heavy equipment and has worn them exclusively.  I had already got my boots but I did take a look.  I hope these boots work out for you Cap. 

Happy belated Bday.     

It is sort of a bummer. I have been wearing them almost every single day to work as well as the days I have off. I got them 1 1/2 years ago. It does seem a bit short lived as they cost almost $200. If I could get these boots for $100 - $120 I would be happy, but at the price I paid they should last longer. They can sometimes be found on Amazon for close to that price every so often. I just wish they still made Irish Setters in the USA. For the price they should. Its not all bad though. They have been a very pleasant boot to wear and they served me well. They are by no means ready to retire yet. I can see getting another six months out of them unless they deteriorate quicker than I am expecting. 

On the other side the Chippewas only cost $138 and are USA made and from what I hear far superior. A cheaper, better quality, USA made boot sounds good to me. I sure hope they fit.  :dwts:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:16:53 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #148 on: October 07, 2016, 03:54:31 PM
That doesn't sound to bad, 1 1/2 years and possibly longer from the Irish Setters. 

I just bought some Merrils for hiking and kicking around town.  I almost went for Keens but after some research reports were they had some issues.  Merrill continues to enjoy such a great reputation from my experience and reviews.  This pair did require some break in, about a week.  I was pretty happy paying $80 vs $115 - $130 locally.  Ordering shoes online can be a long process but I already had experience with these shoes so I knew my size. 

Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #149 on: October 07, 2016, 05:08:19 PM
Its been a while since we talked boots.  Ive gone thru my latest pair of hiking shoes for work and was in the market for boots again.  I had one heck of a time deciding.  First off let me tell you that insoles for me a crucial.  I can easily do over 24 hours on my feet in a weekend.  I have been thru various insoles and recently decided to get Spenco Polysorb Heavy Duty ( $20 ).  I have been walking on these for about a week now and so far I like them a lot.

Now back to boots, after going thru reviews and visiting stores locally, what a pain.  I went to Red Wing among others, I also chatted with Poncho.   I went with Thorogood boots model 814 4355 ( $140 ).  I should get next week.  I went with the Thorogood sizing chart and relied on reviewers experiences.  I also took into consideration my current boot size.  If they fit, I wear them for a bit and follow up with my impressions. 

I have to say for $100 less that similar RWs I had to get them.  I've never owed RWs tho others who have have reported these very well "may be" RW killers, we'll see. 

Take care of your feet guys  :salute:
Work boots are like a car/truck, it all depends on the driver, some might like a truck and can't stand a car, and vise versa. I always wanted red wings, and one day I did get a pair, they even put in a special pair of insoles, all for like $140. I must say they felt great, but after only three days my feet were in sooo much pain I could barely walk, I slipped my cheap $20 K-mart ones back on for the rest of the week. That weekend I took them back and returned them, after that I went and got a pair of I believe Carolina's, yeah the price went up but the fit was spot on, they lasted me 8yrs and would probably still be just as good but there in storage three states over, so since i really don't need a good pair of work boots I went back to my old ways and with a $20 pair of k-mart's..
JR

I retract that, the ones I got now are $45 Herman survivors, another brand that I thought were great, I had them back in high school-idk when..

That's because you needed to break them in silly.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD