Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Work Boots

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Work Boots
Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 02:35:49 PM
Nice boots , I hope they work out for you   :tu:

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:02 PM
Those look great!
I have had a pair of Irish setters wich I bought on sale (one size too small I found out when I got them). I gave them to my brother in law who loves them to bits.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #92 on: July 15, 2015, 06:47:30 AM
Just ordered these on sale for $115 CAD. It's a pretty good deal for Canada. They're Justin JB1104s.

I am wearing some cheap walmart boots right now and they have actually have been pretty good so far. I just want something else to wear that comes up a bit higher to keep the dirt out. I plan to just wear them until they wreck, and see how they do. They're not the biggest work boots, but I think that they will be fine for driving and operating machinery. If they don't work, I think that I will be trying out these Cabela's Roughneck 8" Plain Toe Ledger Work Boots. The leather looks good and Cabelas boots are usually pretty good.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #93 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:30 AM
Just ordered these on sale for $115 CAD. It's a pretty good deal for Canada. They're Justin JB1104s.
(Image removed from quote.)

I am wearing some cheap walmart boots right now and they have actually have been pretty good so far. I just want something else to wear that comes up a bit higher to keep the dirt out. I plan to just wear them until they wreck, and see how they do. They're not the biggest work boots, but I think that they will be fine for driving and operating machinery. If they don't work, I think that I will be trying out these Cabela's Roughneck 8" Plain Toe Ledger Work Boots. The leather looks good and Cabelas boots are usually pretty good.

Nice boots. I really want to order some Justin's. I have been looking at a certain pair and they are the cheapest they have ever been. If they don't drop in price tomorrow for the Amazon Prime sale event I will probably pick them up. Here's to hoping the price does not go up before then.

http://www.amazon.com/Justin-Boots-Collection-Waterproof-Tan/dp/B005JIBMX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436937849&sr=8-1&keywords=justin+camo+boots

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:28:09 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #94 on: July 15, 2015, 09:17:23 AM
 :o That's a great price on those boots! They look like they would be pretty durable work boots as well. Let me know what you think of them when you get em'!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #95 on: July 15, 2015, 09:29:16 AM
:o That's a great price on those boots! They look like they would be pretty durable work boots as well. Let me know what you think of them when you get em'!

you got a killer deal as well!!!  :tu:

I actually just ordered them as I looked at the prime deals and it does not seem as they will be included and I do not want to wait and have the price go up. The only reason I could order them is I have a money order on the way from a knife I sold. I was going to save the money, but am using it on the boots. Its the cheapest they have ever been so I figured what the hell.  :tu: Let me know how you like yours as well. This will be my first pair of pull on boots. I actually tried these on in a store so the size should be perfect. They were $135 in store so i'm happy to say the least.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: July 15, 2015, 06:41:42 PM
Justin pull ons used to be the my favorite, and my safe bet when I was in the market for new boots. Last year I was disappointed with some from my local Boot Barn. They were not leather anymore, made in china and didn't last a full year. There are still some genuine leather ones out there but you need to be sure. The ones I had were the same style as the camo style in your pic, but were on sale for $80. This was a year ago, and the price may have had something to do with it, but I was not too happy with the change in manufactures. Please let us know how yours work out, and sorry to be a downer man.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: July 15, 2015, 06:48:24 PM
I know Justin's have been made in China for a while now. Hell, even the Redwing Irish Setters are made in China now. It really is a shame. To get a American made boot (in most cases) be prepared to spend $300.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: July 15, 2015, 07:04:58 PM
I really don't care where they are made, as long as quality is sacrificed, and in my experience, the Justin's I bought were more fake leather than real. Hope yours work out man

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: July 18, 2015, 02:08:15 AM
Justin pull ons used to be the my favorite, and my safe bet when I was in the market for new boots. Last year I was disappointed with some from my local Boot Barn. They were not leather anymore, made in china and didn't last a full year. There are still some genuine leather ones out there but you need to be sure. The ones I had were the same style as the camo style in your pic, but were on sale for $80. This was a year ago, and the price may have had something to do with it, but I was not too happy with the change in manufactures. Please let us know how yours work out, and sorry to be a downer man.

Well I got my Justin's today and am pretty disappointed. First off one boot feels much tighter than the other. This could possibly be my foot as I have experienced this with other boots, but it could also be poor quality manufacturing as one looks a bit wider than the other. I tried them on and literally walked maybe 50 steps and the leather looks like I have been wearing these boots for weeks. Very, very poor quality leather. If I do decide to return these I hope they take them back as they look like I have been wearing them for a while now. Honestly the leather not being up to par is something I could of probably dealt with but one boot fitting different than the other was driving me nuts when walking in them.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: July 18, 2015, 04:12:24 AM
dArN DArN Darnity DARN! To quote 'Bad Cop' from Lego Movie. Justin Boots :twak:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: July 18, 2015, 04:19:33 AM
dArN DArN Darnity DARN! To quote 'Bad Cop' from Lego Movie. Justin Boots :twak:

I knew I should of not ordered them online as every single time I ever order clothes or boots online they NEVER fit correctly. I am returning them for a full refund so all should be well unless they try to say they are used. If that happens I will just tell them that is how I recieved them. Sucks because I really want some pull on's.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #102 on: July 18, 2015, 04:27:04 PM
Thats too bad!
I find shoeshopping online very difficult, as sized can vary a lot between different makers.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: July 18, 2015, 04:50:30 PM
Thats too bad!
I find shoeshopping online very difficult, as sized can vary a lot between different makers.

I'm the same way.  I wish it were easier to shop online for shoes since I tend to see some really good deals.   I dislike sending stuff back, too much hassle for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #104 on: July 18, 2015, 06:12:38 PM
Shows/boots is something that I need to try on. I'm VERY picky when it comes to foot wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: July 20, 2015, 02:47:54 PM
Shows/boots is something that I need to try on. I'm VERY picky when it comes to foot wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #106 on: July 25, 2015, 02:54:04 AM

I finally got my Justin boots in today. I'm pretty happy with them. The fit is great and they feel comfortable after working in them all day. One thing that bugged me is that the pull straps are pretty rough and chaffed my legs a bit, but they will get smoother with time. I plan on using these as work boots until they fail, and I will keep this thread posted as to how well they are doing.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #107 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:27 AM
Glad you like yours.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: July 25, 2015, 04:36:51 AM
I still haven't got new boots, but I can say I'm sure glad I wear the ones I have. Would have ended up with about 12 3 inch nails through my feet today.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: July 25, 2015, 09:39:08 AM
Mongrel Boots for Safeties (Aussie brand, they go alright. Really nice sole for standing around in etc)

Danner Acadias when I do not need the steel cap. (USA brand. Cost a bloody fortune here. Pretty good, might recommend a different sole if you have a bit of walking to do though.)

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: November 27, 2015, 06:14:02 PM
I just got a new pair of boots for work: Red Wing Irish Setters. First time ive bought red wings, so far im liking them. ill post throughout the year on how they hold up.  Im constantly in water, mud and grease from washing down/ working on heavy equipment, So truly Water Proof is a necessity. They are Composite toe, and pretty lite. I was very impressed with the Red Wing Store. They measured my feet, even checked what kind of instep/ arch i have. They said to bring them back in 2 weeks so they can condition and clean them. I can take them back for cleanings for as long as i own them! Wow, i didnt know any businesses still cared AFTER the sale.    After tax, $190.

So ive been wearing my boots for 10 months, and have to say im not impressed. I will not be purchasing THIS particular pair of slip ons again. I work on and operate heavy machinery, and my boots are subject to grease, hydraulic fluid, water, etc. It is a necessity that my boots are fully water proof, which these were. Ive stood in 6 inches of water for long periods, and my socks were still dry at the end of shift. The toe did not stand up to the constant scraping on concrete, but without a toe cap, no boots would. But once one scrape was present, chunks of leather started coming off quickly. My biggest gripe is the sole. It is separating at the tip, getting worse daily. Red wing wants $60 to resole, with a 4 week turn around wait. so i may just gorilla glue and clap them. Also the sides are oddly wearing out. I believe that the mesh type material may be too heavy that the leg part is made of, putting weight on the sides of the boot. or maybe the leather is thin and cant take the weight?
Im going to try other Red Wings, but not this particular Irish Setter boot.       

* WIN_20151121_111048.JPG (Filesize: 32.24 KB)

* WIN_20151121_111111.JPG (Filesize: 34.74 KB)

* WIN_20151121_111155.JPG (Filesize: 33.99 KB)

* WIN_20151121_111126.JPG (Filesize: 34.7 KB)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:15:24 PM by JBW1 »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: November 27, 2015, 08:10:39 PM
I just got a new pair of boots for work: Red Wing Irish Setters. First time ive bought red wings, so far im liking them. ill post throughout the year on how they hold up.  Im constantly in water, mud and grease from washing down/ working on heavy equipment, So truly Water Proof is a necessity. They are Composite toe, and pretty lite. I was very impressed with the Red Wing Store. They measured my feet, even checked what kind of instep/ arch i have. They said to bring them back in 2 weeks so they can condition and clean them. I can take them back for cleanings for as long as i own them! Wow, i didnt know any businesses still cared AFTER the sale.    After tax, $190.

So ive been wearing my boots for 10 months, and have to say im not impressed. I will not be purchasing THIS particular pair of slip ons again. I work on and operate heavy machinery, and my boots are subject to grease, hydraulic fluid, water, etc. It is a necessity that my boots are fully water proof, which these were. Ive stood in 6 inches of water for long periods, and my socks were still dry at the end of shift. The toe did not stand up to the constant scraping on concrete, but without a toe cap, no boots would. But once one scrape was present, chunks of leather started coming off quickly. My biggest gripe is the sole. It is separating at the tip, getting worse daily. Red wing wants $60 to resole, with a 4 week turn around wait. so i may just gorilla glue and clap them. Also the sides are oddly wearing out. I believe that the mesh type material may be too heavy that the leg part is made of, putting weight on the sides of the boot. or maybe the leather is thin and cant take the weight?
Im going to try other Red Wings, but not this particular Irish Setter boot.     

That's a bummer. Possibly due to the Irish Setter brand not trully being a Red Wing boot anymore as the Irish Setters are made in China now. If you want true Redwing quality get Redwings.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: November 27, 2015, 08:41:55 PM
With being an essential part of my day, i dont know why i go with cheaper options, when i could have spent $20 more and had boots that i could have used for many years.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: July 15, 2016, 06:21:34 PM
Its been a while since we talked boots.  Ive gone thru my latest pair of hiking shoes for work and was in the market for boots again.  I had one heck of a time deciding.  First off let me tell you that insoles for me a crucial.  I can easily do over 24 hours on my feet in a weekend.  I have been thru various insoles and recently decided to get Spenco Polysorb Heavy Duty ( $20 ).  I have been walking on these for about a week now and so far I like them a lot.

Now back to boots, after going thru reviews and visiting stores locally, what a pain.  I went to Red Wing among others, I also chatted with Poncho.   I went with Thorogood boots model 814 4355 ( $140 ).  I should get next week.  I went with the Thorogood sizing chart and relied on reviewers experiences.  I also took into consideration my current boot size.  If they fit, I wear them for a bit and follow up with my impressions. 

I have to say for $100 less that similar RWs I had to get them.  I've never owed RWs tho others who have have reported these very well "may be" RW killers, we'll see. 

Take care of your feet guys  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #114 on: July 15, 2016, 06:57:15 PM
They look good Aloha.  :)  I'm looking forward to hearing how you get along with them.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #115 on: July 15, 2016, 07:06:26 PM
Its been a while since we talked boots.  Ive gone thru my latest pair of hiking shoes for work and was in the market for boots again.  I had one heck of a time deciding.  First off let me tell you that insoles for me a crucial.  I can easily do over 24 hours on my feet in a weekend.  I have been thru various insoles and recently decided to get Spenco Polysorb Heavy Duty ( $20 ).  I have been walking on these for about a week now and so far I like them a lot.

Now back to boots, after going thru reviews and visiting stores locally, what a pain.  I went to Red Wing among others, I also chatted with Poncho.   I went with Thorogood boots model 814 4355 ( $140 ).  I should get next week.  I went with the Thorogood sizing chart and relied on reviewers experiences.  I also took into consideration my current boot size.  If they fit, I wear them for a bit and follow up with my impressions. 

I have to say for $100 less that similar RWs I had to get them.  I've never owed RWs tho others who have have reported these very well "may be" RW killers, we'll see. 

Take care of your feet guys  :salute:
Work boots are like a car/truck, it all depends on the driver, some might like a truck and can't stand a car, and vise versa. I always wanted red wings, and one day I did get a pair, they even put in a special pair of insoles, all for like $140. I must say they felt great, but after only three days my feet were in sooo much pain I could barely walk, I slipped my cheap $20 K-mart ones back on for the rest of the week. That weekend I took them back and returned them, after that I went and got a pair of I believe Carolina's, yeah the price went up but the fit was spot on, they lasted me 8yrs and would probably still be just as good but there in storage three states over, so since i really don't need a good pair of work boots I went back to my old ways and with a $20 pair of k-mart's..
JR

I retract that, the ones I got now are $45 Herman survivors, another brand that I thought were great, I had them back in high school-idk when..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:15:11 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #116 on: July 15, 2016, 07:15:29 PM
I've heard similar RW stories.  I know the break in time can be painful and long with such thick leather.  I honestly don't have the patience for it.  I can do a week but my feet and patience cant do longer. 

Supposedly the boots I got can be resoled.  I'd imagine with the "softer" leather Thorogood uses in these vs RW the uppers may be toast when that time comes.  So many conflicting views on resoles.  The max wear bottoms is Thorogood attempt at "fixing" the sole wearing out fast.  Many former customers complained so Thorogood responded with Max wear.   

I liked the moc toe style as well but I've had issues with the stitch pinching my foot in other moc styles.  I really could not justify the added $100 for RWs.  They might be great for those looking for a work boot yet work in an office or light duty type stuff.  I have no doubt they are made to last but beating on a pair of $275 pair of boots in the field, I cannot bring myself to.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #117 on: July 15, 2016, 07:24:11 PM
I've heard similar RW stories.  I know the break in time can be painful and long with such thick leather.  I honestly don't have the patience for it.  I can do a week but my feet and patience cant do longer. 

Supposedly the boots I got can be resoled.  I'd imagine with the "softer" leather Thorogood uses in these vs RW the uppers may be toast when that time comes.  So many conflicting views on resoles.  The max wear bottoms is Thorogood attempt at "fixing" the sole wearing out fast.  Many former customers complained so Thorogood responded with Max wear.   

I liked the moc toe style as well but I've had issues with the stitch pinching my foot in other moc styles.  I really could not justify the added $100 for RWs.  They might be great for those looking for a work boot yet work in an office or light duty type stuff.  I have no doubt they are made to last but beating on a pair of $275 pair of boots in the field, I cannot bring myself to.
Those Carolinas were $199, but they were just spot on, and I heard so many good things and I was in college, broke but just had to have the good stuff! I must say they did there job! I just still wish I had them..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #118 on: July 15, 2016, 07:32:19 PM
They look good Aloha.  :)  I'm looking forward to hearing how you get along with them.

Thanks.  If they fit, fingers crossed, I will certainly report back.  This brand for those who like Made in America/Union made are just that.  They are very competitive price wise and come in many popular styles. 

@MP,  I have bought many boots over the years and so far a couple I've loved.  I have leaned towards trail shoes but wanted to give these a try.  My shoe guy ( cobbler ) says he can resole them when needed so we'll see.  He charges $75 and does a terrific job.  The goodyear welt was important to me for this reason. 

I have pair of Merrell Moabs I got from a friend in good shape minus the insole ( hahaha ).  They sadly are a 10 1/2 and don't fit.  I should post them up in the sale section for cheap.  Lots of life in them once you add in a insole. The Virbram soles on these are great.  If you've even worn Merrills it's love at first step. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:50:39 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: July 15, 2016, 07:45:39 PM
Well I retired threw out my Wolverines this week :D I put my Workhog Ariats to work :facepalm: I usually buy them a year or so in advance so I can break them in slowly rather than all at once first day to work :tu: I buy boots that I can wear out places and that are comfortable to do whatever I want in that way when it comes  time to wear them for work I have gotten some other use out of them as well.  This pair I have on is the most I have ever spent on any pair of boots ever and it pained me to put them on for work but my feet need to stay healthy as well as my whole body ;) I can tell when it is time to change boots as my legs and hips start hurting some :ahhh Felt that this Tuesday and so Wednesday I started wearing these that I have on :cheers:

I wear boots almost everywhere and everything I do so I have several pair but the Workhog was next in line.  Don't worry though because I replaced them 6 months ago as I knew this then ;) Already have that pair broken in as well just not for work.......yet :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%