Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best bushcraft fixed blade.

AdmSlc · 34 · 4501

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Best bushcraft fixed blade.
Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 08:10:16 AM
dmanuel, that's a beauty! 

How do you like the taper tang and the narrower handle end?  The third set of pins does have an interesting construction, did you order for that or any reason behind that?

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 04:03:40 PM
dmanuel, that's a beauty! 

How do you like the taper tang and the narrower handle end?  The third set of pins does have an interesting construction, did you order for that or any reason behind that?

I have one with and one without the taper tang. Without the taper tang it definitely feels more like a chopper and just a little less nimble. With the taper tang you can still chop with it but the balance definitely makes the blade fell considerably more nimble, almost like it is always wanting to work.

The third set of pins is what he calls a trinity pin out, a display of his religious beliefs. Just something else that makes this one a little more rare than others like it. He also uses mosaics on occasion, but that is even rarer.

Unfortunately Andy operates a little different from most custom makers. Every Friday he posts everything that he finished that week, on another forum, and you have to call the ones you want. It's first come first serve. So to find one with the pin type, pin color, number of pins, liners, handle material, tang type, thickness, steel type, and model that you want can be a hunt. Sometimes it is painful to watch the one you have been waiting for get sharked before you can grab it but when you do that makes it so much sweeter. The community is definitely heavy on the idea of trading because of that.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 10:03:43 PM

I've been looking for a big nice trusty bushcraft knife. I'm considering picking up a Esee Rat 6. Anyone have any experience with it or what would you get ?

http://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-Knives-RAT-RC6-Clip--7605
What do you plan to do with it? Where abouts in the world? What is your experience level?

The primary use is for
•cleaning animals/ big and small game
•wood prep
•camp / shelter preparation
•survival/bushcraft
•one general big bad ass get er' done blade.
•last resort animal defense (also carry rifle/pistol) it is possible to be ambushed by mountain lion/ bear where I live.

It will be used anywhere from the desert of Utah to the high Uinta mountain range. I'm very experienced with survival and wilderness bushcraft techniques.

My personal favourite from the ones I own is the Anton DePlessis Warthog from Scorpion Knives in Sheffield

http://www.scorpionknives.com/survival_knives.htm

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 01:47:41 AM
If you are undecided, you could get some inexpensive blades like a Mora (or many) or a Condor.  Once you find a handle/blade style and grind type you like, you could upgrade from there.

Personally, I've been 100% satisfied with my Mora companions.
IMG_0200.JPG
* IMG_0200.JPG (Filesize: 181.32 KB)
IMG_0201.JPG
* IMG_0201.JPG (Filesize: 205.81 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%