Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Official Fidget Thread! Pics Encouraged!

NKlamerus · 136 · 16622

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Official Fidget Thread! Pics Encouraged!
Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 01:36:30 AM
That is really cool!

I'd love to see a video of it in action!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #61 on: September 22, 2016, 12:10:35 AM
Maybe I'll make a video once I have more spinners to compare.

For now, a peak at the new prototype (still not the one that I really want, but that one will take a while)

Aluminum body, and thumb rests (not made yet)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #62 on: September 22, 2016, 12:23:17 AM

For now, a peak at the new prototype (still not the one that I really want, but that one will take a while)

(Image removed from quote.)

Oooh cool. I just got a Vorso Flat Top the other day and I'm hooked on spinners now  :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #63 on: September 23, 2016, 04:27:05 AM
Sweeeeeet! :D

Ive been spinning my pencil around my thumb for awhile now but it might be nice to break out the fidgets.

I saved the Bearing and Racer off the rear axle of my Duramax. It still spins great so I'd like to try and make something for it one day......because I don't have enough projects apparently

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #64 on: September 24, 2016, 11:36:41 PM

Oooh cool. I just got a Vorso Flat Top the other day and I'm hooked on spinners now  :tu:

The Vorso is awesome! The possibility to swap the bearing is genius!!
I just can justify spending 150+ euros it would take to get one. (I know they're sold out at their website, but there's a drop running over at massdrop for those that want to get one - $194.99 + shipping)

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #65 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:03 AM
Here it is completed.

Smaller footprint, and shorter spin times (there's a couple of reasons for this - read through). This is to be expected since I'm using steel bearings with steel cage, so there's quite a bit of friction.
One thing I found out is that I'm not using stainless steel bearings. I didn't know this at first, and removing the lubricant that they came with, turned out to be a bad idea.
I started noticing some grinding effect, and latter realized it was rust starting to form inside the bearing. So I can't have the bearing completely unlubricated, so I use a couple of drops of mineral oil, but this also adds to the friction, and shorter spinning times, however, it spins really smoothly.
Either way, it's not a big deal, since i find myself starting and stopping it mid spin. It's more about the fidgeting than the spin times.

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #66 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:11 AM
I had to decommission the V2!  :-\
Was tying to make some improvements, or so I thought they would be, but I wasn't very successful...  :twak: Ended up taking to much material from the carbon fiber layers, and it had too much flex in the middle. Tried gluing the bearing to the CF, but that didn't solve the problem.

So, I took it apart, and used most of it to make a new one.
Here it is, V2.1

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: September 29, 2016, 05:52:38 PM
I like this thread :)

RIP V2 - long live V2.1 :D

Is that carbon fibre in the last pic?

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #68 on: September 29, 2016, 08:53:39 PM
I like this thread :)

RIP V2 - long live V2.1 :D

Is that carbon fibre in the last pic?

Yes it's carbon fiber. Those are the remains of the V2...  :whistle:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: October 04, 2016, 01:52:10 PM
My fidget is a rubix speed cube. I decided to learn how to solve the rubix cube last year (gotta love you tube for stuff like that), and am now trying to get my time down to as low as possible. I stuck with a cheapo cube until I could solve it easily, then invested in the rubix speed cube and cube lube (which turned out to be standard silicon grease) to get faster.  Once I've got to the limits of this one I'll invest in one of the expensive speed cubes maybe.

I keep a rubix cube on my desk at work which most people naturally pick up and mess up for me as well.

I'm down to 2 1/2 minutes now. It never ceases to amaze me how people can solve them in seconds. I'll be happy once I get under 2 minutes (for now)  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: October 04, 2016, 01:59:58 PM
Wow - I remember the Rubiks cube when it first came out! I used to be able to solve it, but it took me a lot longer than 2.5 minutes! A guy at school taught us all how to do it.

I have to say that my Vorso Flat Top is hardly ever out of my hand now. It requires no thought, helps me concentrate. I even took it to Oktoberfest :D

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #71 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56:09 PM
My fidget is a rubix speed cube. I decided to learn how to solve the rubix cube last year (gotta love you tube for stuff like that), and am now trying to get my time down to as low as possible. I stuck with a cheapo cube until I could solve it easily, then invested in the rubix speed cube and cube lube (which turned out to be standard silicon grease) to get faster.  Once I've got to the limits of this one I'll invest in one of the expensive speed cubes maybe.

I keep a rubix cube on my desk at work which most people naturally pick up and mess up for me as well.

I'm down to 2 1/2 minutes now. It never ceases to amaze me how people can solve them in seconds. I'll be happy once I get under 2 minutes (for now)  :D

It's been a while since I picked mine up!
I think the best time I ever got was just a hair under 2 minutes.
If you want to get a good speed cube without being too expensive, you can try cube4you dot com. I have an original, but it was quite stiff, Then I got a speed cube kit (yes, completely disassembled  :ahhh) from that site, and got another kit (a cheaper one) completely free!!

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #72 on: October 05, 2016, 07:03:13 PM

It's been a while since I picked mine up!
I think the best time I ever got was just a hair under 2 minutes.
If you want to get a good speed cube without being too expensive, you can try cube4you dot com. I have an original, but it was quite stiff, Then I got a speed cube kit (yes, completely disassembled  :ahhh) from that site, and got another kit (a cheaper one) completely free!!

Thanks, I'll check them out

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #73 on: November 02, 2016, 09:27:30 PM
Family photo of my EDC fidgety items.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #74 on: November 03, 2016, 12:41:39 PM
Begleri received from firiki in his 5k GAW - This is awesome to fiddle with. The stones are very tactile and the whole thing has a nice weight to it.

It also acts as an extremely competent dowsing pendulum.
WP_20161103_015 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 02:02:43 PM
I've taken to making my own spinners - the kids love 'em :D

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #76 on: November 03, 2016, 02:51:49 PM
I've taken to making my own spinners - the kids love 'em :D

That is awesome! :cheers:

Any chance you'd be able to do a build guide or tutorial on how you make those? I wouldn't mind giving that a shot. :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: November 03, 2016, 04:02:06 PM
I will yes! I did try to film me putting a batch together last week as some guys of Facebook were asking, but it didn't come out well!

I will try again soon though - maybe just go through the parts / how to assemble :)

de Offline Josh613

Reply #78 on: November 03, 2016, 05:50:16 PM
I will yes! I did try to film me putting a batch together last week as some guys of Facebook were asking, but it didn't come out well!

I will try again soon though - maybe just go through the parts / how to assemble :)

I'd be interested in that too, I saw a photo on instagram about those spinners. Is there a facebook spinner community??

de Offline Josh613

Reply #79 on: November 03, 2016, 05:51:07 PM

Hey mate, how hard was it to add that clip to the SAK? I have a couple of those coming off evilbay for my keys and Leatherman Juice

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 12:34:43 AM

Hey mate, how hard was it to add that clip to the SAK? I have a couple of those coming off evilbay for my keys and Leatherman Juice

I had to take the SAK apart, drill and tap two holes for the screws, and put it back together. For the clip I just had to enlarge the hole to fit M2.5 screws.
I can take a few pictures later, and post them here.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #81 on: November 04, 2016, 03:04:41 AM
I am always on the lookout for things that might help some of my students to focus.

I found this awesome fidget toy. This is a real fun piece to play with.

And another one I found out of town. It is a series of triangles linked up linearly.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: November 04, 2016, 08:44:40 AM

I'd be interested in that too, I saw a photo on instagram about those spinners. Is there a facebook spinner community??

There is yes - these are two groups which are popular:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spinspace/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pockettoptalk/

Enjoy!

us Offline irona

Reply #83 on: November 11, 2016, 08:58:04 AM
I fidget with anything in my hands really  :facepalm:  But one thing I particularly like are the half-stop implements on Vics. The half-stop makes them one-hand enabled which is good :) So, usually, the bottle opener on a Cadet or something like that, open - half closed - open - half closed etc.
Same! The perfect spring on the half stop of the bottle opener of my tinker is so addicting to play with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: November 12, 2016, 08:36:26 PM
I should probably carry something to fidget with more often, I have been carrying a silver Dollar for a few tears, partly with this in mind but it doesn't really lend itself to fidgeting (unless you start learning some coin-tricks). Another hing I've carried is this pair of miniature coconuts that I found in France. I have emptied them through the three "marks" that they have. Their main fault is the sound they make otherwise they are really fidgetable (I guess the correct term would be tactile).

I forgot to add any scale to the picture but they are just over an inch in diameter. This is also my first try at hosting my pictures myself, I hope it works.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: December 31, 2016, 02:19:45 AM
I found this today...and I will say, this is the best. I can't stop playing with it.

Meet the Jitter Box.

There is a very nice smooth joystick on one side (top in these photos). One side features 3 independent rolling gears with a metal ball bearing. Another side has a rocker switch.

One side has a rotating disk, and another features 5 buttons. One pair have a nice satisfying click. Another pair features a different tactile feel to them. The middle button is a two position button.

The bottom of the cube features an oval indent that feels good to your fingers.

For more info, I found the kick-starter page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antsylabs/fidget-cube-a-vinyl-desk-toy

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: January 02, 2017, 09:07:52 PM
Mad plumbarian brought this up the other day in fact.

Where did you getyours. The kickstarter is a link to the original developers who hasn't produced theirs as of yet.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #87 on: January 02, 2017, 11:40:48 PM
Wow, how did I spot this? He's got the link to the original which are made by Antsy labs, anything else is fake like the one I got, I didn't know at the time. But the little guy will be putting his to use tomorrow cause his classes start for the first time this year, so I guess we'll see, if it works for him then I'll see about getting him the real thing..

I'm also a fidgiter, I gotta do something I can't sit still, so while sitting here watching tv I normally reach for something and do something, I must say that plastic thingy with bearings looks soo tempting!
JR

Here's a pic of the fake one I got for my son and then the real one,
https://www.antsylabs.com
IMG_5683.PNG
* IMG_5683.PNG (Filesize: 124.37 KB)
IMG_5684.JPG
* IMG_5684.JPG (Filesize: 37.72 KB)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:57:18 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: January 05, 2017, 07:42:50 PM
I bought mine at a store called Showcase.

https://www.shopatshowcasecanada.com/products/jitter-box

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #89 on: January 05, 2017, 07:52:31 PM
I bought mine at a store called Showcase.

https://www.shopatshowcasecanada.com/products/jitter-box
Not bad for $15, but it's still not the real thing, but hey if it works who cares.. on eBay they actually have cases for them for like $3. How's yours working for you, the kid started school this Tuesday, so he's had only a couple days to use it and he says he likes it. If it works for him I'll have to order him the real thing when they start shipping them out, and of course get one of the fake cases cause there cool looking..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%