Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Single-wing Wingman

babola · 303 · 55213

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Single-wing Wingman
Reply #270 on: April 22, 2015, 02:51:44 AM
Literally just made it tonight. Going to take it to work tomorrow to show off. I did show my supervisor this thread and he thought it was a cool idea.

Very cool.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #271 on: April 23, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
Literally just made it tonight. Going to take it to work tomorrow to show off.

I'm humbled that a Leatherman tool maker found this mod interesting enough to have a go at it too, you made my day Andrew  ;)

I have few more ideas in my head with other LM tools, one specific mod involves a LM MUT but unfortunately life just became a little more complicated and cannot afford time nor money for hobbies and similar. Maybe one day  :-\

I did show my supervisor this thread and he thought it was a cool idea.

Say hi to your supervisor  :)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #272 on: April 23, 2015, 06:18:11 PM
 :salute:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline AndrewBird

Reply #273 on: April 24, 2015, 01:46:26 AM
Everyone I showed it to liked it. One of the engineers even wants to make one for himself.

I've been using it at work and it is nice to use. The blade is a bit hard to open one handed due to how narrow the whole thing is, but otherwise it's comfortable to use. I'll probably start using this as my EDC for work instead of my Kershaw Leek. Keep that for the weekends. And of course still carry my Skeletool.
-Andrew Bird

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #274 on: April 24, 2015, 01:54:21 AM
Everyone I showed it to liked it. One of the engineers even wants to make one for himself.

I've been using it at work and it is nice to use. The blade is a bit hard to open one handed due to how narrow the whole thing is, but otherwise it's comfortable to use. I'll probably start using this as my EDC for work instead of my Kershaw Leek. Keep that for the weekends. And of course still carry my Skeletool.

Very cool!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #275 on: April 24, 2015, 02:10:15 AM

Just ler me know who to send the bank acct details over there, time to start collecting some royalties...LOL ! :D

Thanks man...this is all very cool.  :salute:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #276 on: April 24, 2015, 04:09:54 AM
Cool  :tu:

Offline Glofindel

Reply #277 on: April 26, 2015, 09:34:41 AM
I hope this makes into production line. It'd be the coolest Leatherman.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #278 on: April 27, 2015, 12:53:24 AM
I hope this makes into production line. It'd be the coolest Leatherman.
hopefully the make the handle a little wider.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #279 on: April 29, 2015, 07:18:02 PM
Is the plier pivot on the Rev the same size as the Wingman/Sidekick? If so, I think it'd save a step to use the Rev instead for this mod, since you wouldn't have to drill out the rivet holding the retention spring of the Wingman/Sidekick plier.

At least... I think I have that right.

I pulled my mod out today and was fiddling with it. And still think it's a pretty cool idea. The pocket clip is just really useful for a knife this size, IMO.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #280 on: April 29, 2015, 08:09:34 PM
Is the plier pivot on the Rev the same size as the Wingman/Sidekick? If so, I think it'd save a step to use the Rev instead for this mod, since you wouldn't have to drill out the rivet holding the retention spring of the Wingman/Sidekick plier.

At least... I think I have that right.

I pulled my mod out today and was fiddling with it. And still think it's a pretty cool idea. The pocket clip is just really useful for a knife this size, IMO.
I treid do that with rev, did not work.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #281 on: April 29, 2015, 10:57:24 PM
Huh.

What went wrong?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #282 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:59 PM
This thing is so easy, took less than two minutes to take apart and put back together.

I tried putting the drivers on the other end of handle in place of pliers, they fit in but don not click, their locking lugs could not reach the handle. It would be good if the drivers can directly drop in take place of pliers, average user can easily transform the tool to "Pocket knife" or "Pocket pliers" modes, sadly that is not the case.

I tried putting Rev's pliers on SK, but they don't fit either.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #283 on: July 22, 2015, 07:00:39 AM
babola, I hope you do not mind, but I stole your pics and link to show someone on another forum.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Its Hard To Know

Reply #284 on: July 24, 2015, 03:50:40 PM
Sorry, not read the whole thread, but curious if you used the other handle (with scissors) you could make it TSA compliant.
It wouldnt have a blade, but still have a lot of great tools in a small package

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #285 on: July 24, 2015, 07:22:15 PM
Making a YouTube video "Simple Leatherman Wingman Modifications" showing step by step how to do it will be very helpful, I'm sure it will have a lot of hits and thumbs up. Who knows, but you might get a call from LM  ;)
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #286 on: July 26, 2015, 01:27:59 AM

I was pretty sure this had been done before by some of the modders here, as it's such a logical and straightforward way to finish up with by following the Mini-Surge mod. I am currently collecting bits for my own Mini-Surge mod, Wingman scissors being one of them.

This left me with a scissor-less Wingman, and since I am OCD and cannot stand Wingman pliers I decided to create a 'mini-tool folder' in a single Wingman handle.

What made this mod easier was the fact the top (pliers-end) and bottom (tools-end) pivot sizes on Wingman are the same size, allowing me to install the tools from a bottom of one handle into the top of the other, basically combining the Wingman's tool load into a single handle. To top it all off, I also added scissors from the Wave.

The result was quite surprising to me as it required very little modding while creating almost a perfect small 'MT-folder' as an end result.

The top tools fit snugly into the handle and the Wave scissors fold in perfectly. The only rule of thumb is to fold the bottom tools into the handle first, and top tools second, on top of the bottom tools. This is required as there's simply not enough space for the tools to fold independently inside the main handle cavity due to their length.

Few details:
- I used a Wingman handle housing a 420HC combo blade 
- Bottom tools in that handle were left untouched
- Internal pliers stop strip had to be removed by breaking a rivet, to allow the installation of the tools at the top of the handle. This is a must.
- Phillips and flat head screwdrivers from the second handle were installed at the top of this handle
- Wave scissors added and installed in a particular position (see photos below) over the bottle/can opener for correct fit
- After extensive play with different sized washers and spacers (all sourced from Wingman's second handle) I ended up with this combo. 
- All button screw heads flattened. As much as I like button heads their prominent bulge was a little out of place for me personally on this tool, they are much bigger than the ones on Wave/Charge/Surge.

(Image removed from quote.)

Hope you like it   :)

Awesome!
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #287 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:30 PM
I bought the Wingman to replace a Sideclip that was lost. I never really warmed up to the Wingman.
So what to do. You read some post on MTO and take your tool apart. Makes perfect sense right?
Not having mills or surface grinders, not to mention the skills of some here. I had to come up with a way to pull off this mod, that I could do it in my garage.
I tried it with one end not clicking into place and even though it worked I kept thing there must be a way to make both ends of the tool snap into place.
So I decided to rivet the spring from one handle to the blade side handle.
First step is to drill out the rivet for the pliars head spring.
Next step is to cut out a clearance on the bottom for the spring.
Then you have to grind the retaining lugs off the spring. So it will fit into the handle.
Then install the spring with one of the hinge screws. Don't take the hinge screw out until you are done.
This will hold it in place when you drill the hole for the 3/32nd SS rod. I used stock from a knife supply that's sold for slip joints. Leave the hinge screw in place while you are peening the rod, so it will stay in position. If it moves now you are in trouble.

I used a punch and doomed the end so I could peen the rod inside the handle. Then clamped the punch in a vice so it would back up the rod. Then worked the other end with a small ball peen.
Single wing 1.jpg
* Single wing 1.jpg (Filesize: 350.76 KB)
Single wing 2.jpg
* Single wing 2.jpg (Filesize: 234.11 KB)
Single wing 3.jpg
* Single wing 3.jpg (Filesize: 272.61 KB)
Single wing 4.jpg
* Single wing 4.jpg (Filesize: 310.75 KB)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:41:55 PM by Dean51 »

gb Offline pingu

Reply #288 on: July 27, 2015, 06:22:38 PM
I bought the Wingman to replace a Sideclip that was lost. I never really warmed up to the Wingman.
So what to do. You read some post on MTO and take your tool apart. Makes perfect sense right?
Not having mills or surface grinders, not to mention the skills of some here. I had to come up with a way to pull off this mod, that I could do it in my garage.
I tried it with one end not clicking into place and even though it worked I kept thing there must be a way to make both ends of the tool snap into place.

Great write-up.  You do know about the Hacker badge?

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #289 on: July 27, 2015, 07:21:09 PM

[/quote]Great write-up.  You do know about the Hacker badge?
[/quote]

Aaaaah..........What's a hacker badge? ???

gb Offline pingu

Reply #290 on: July 27, 2015, 07:31:11 PM

OK, at the top of the page click Profile then Awards then Show Available Awards.  Look for the Hacker Award.  Read and digest.  There is info about how to apply somewhere.  Easy when you find it.

This link may or may not work...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=profile;area=listAwards;start=20

Offline jdindadell

Reply #291 on: August 01, 2015, 06:06:51 AM
Working on doing the same mod with a rev.  Removed the pliers and put the flat and philips drivers in.  They miss the handle spring area by a rch, so I am planning on making a thin forked spacer to fill the gap and provide a notch to engage the slot in the tools.  Will post pics when I get the spader made.

Also has anyone done this with a wave?  Link if possible please!

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #292 on: October 12, 2015, 03:53:03 AM

Finally got a Wingman and Wave at the right price for the Single-Wingman and Mini-Surge mods. Made my Single-Wingman today and plan on using the Wingman Scissors for the Mini-Surge which is what I really need. This was a nice little by product. Love it, but I am afraid will not get much use because lack of pliers.

LMWingMod1.JPG
* LMWingMod1.JPG (Filesize: 156.43 KB)
LMWingMod2.JPG
* LMWingMod2.JPG (Filesize: 164.13 KB)

Offline SirAri

Reply #293 on: January 09, 2017, 05:22:41 AM
Working on doing the same mod with a rev.  Removed the pliers and put the flat and philips drivers in.  They miss the handle spring area by a rch, so I am planning on making a thin forked spacer to fill the gap and provide a notch to engage the slot in the tools.  Will post pics when I get the spader made.

Also has anyone done this with a wave?  Link if possible please!

This is awesome - but I agree it would be awesome if anyone tries this with a wave.  Would love to see pics.

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #294 on: May 09, 2017, 12:49:35 PM

- Internal pliers stop strip had to be removed by breaking a rivet, to allow the installation of the tools at the top of the handle. This is a must.

This mod is absolutely fantastic! Just wanted to check - the stop strip for the pliers... is that not attached to the main body of the handle? Or did you just mean the strip's rivet had to be removed in order to fit the other tools?

Do you think this is a good first mod attempt for someone* to try?

*me

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #295 on: May 09, 2017, 01:19:24 PM
I believe he meant remove the rivet and the spring piece however it can be left in if you reshape the tools.
There is at least one example of it in the thread.
For a first mod, yeah sure go for it.

Reply #296 on: May 09, 2017, 01:57:57 PM
I believe he meant remove the rivet and the spring piece however it can be left in if you reshape the tools.
There is at least one example of it in the thread.
For a first mod, yeah sure go for it.

Great, thank you. I didn't see it in the thread but I'll look back through. Cheers!  :cheers:

Reply #297 on: May 09, 2017, 11:58:44 PM
Tried this myself earlier as a good beginner's mod. I'll get some Wave scissors for it but for now I dig it just as it is:

Single Wingman/Little Wing

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #298 on: May 10, 2017, 12:14:16 AM
Nice one.   :tu:   Now you can join the special club.   https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51510.0.html

Reply #299 on: May 10, 2017, 10:10:46 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68