Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

To Choil Or Not To Choil?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
To Choil Or Not To Choil?
on: December 27, 2014, 03:07:01 PM
The most consistent complaint I've read about the Wenger 130's or the newer Wengernox 130's is the lack of edge at the base of the blade.

Using TopGear 124's pictures illustrates that fault.

The third picture down shows a choil which has been cut into the blade. This allows the owner to place his blade flat on his sharpening stone,to the fullest length of the edge, without creating the harmful angle the factory edge profile created.

The last picture shows that Wenger cut a choil into their line of 120's.Vic also uses a choil in their line of 111's.

TG-24-1.jpg
* TG-24-1.jpg (Filesize: 71.04 KB)
TG-24.jpg
* TG-24.jpg (Filesize: 68.15 KB)
DSCN1857-1.jpg
* DSCN1857-1.jpg (Filesize: 251.82 KB)
DSCN1830-1.jpg
* DSCN1830-1.jpg (Filesize: 209.47 KB)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:10:32 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: To Choil Or Not To Choil?
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:00:43 PM
Nice. :tu:

How did you make the choil? Round diamond file?

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: To Choil Or Not To Choil?
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:35:19 PM
Nice. :tu:

How did you make the choil? Round diamond file?

Thank you.

I finished with a round steel file.But I started with triangular file to mark a definitive cut so the round file wouldn't slip from that position.The steel on these SAK's aren't particularly hard so a metal file worked fine although a diamond file will require less effort.

I can now place the blade on my stone and expect is to produce an even edge from the back to the front of the blade.When trying to sharpen the blade before making the choil,the stone would set high at the back of the blade and cause the opposite side of the stone to dig into the forward portion of the blade.Now that problem is solved.A simple solution to a somewhat vexing problem.

I can only assume that Wenger,upon producing the 130 models,decided to cut production costs by eliminating the choil.

Added a picture of the choil on the 111's.
DSCN1227-1.jpg
* DSCN1227-1.jpg (Filesize: 253.98 KB)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:43:06 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%