Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A tale of 4 SAKs and disappointment

us Online smiller43147

• No Life Club
A tale of 4 SAKs and disappointment
on: December 27, 2014, 05:04:43 PM
So I just acquired a new Vic EvoGrip 16 and had to compare it to some similar SAKs.  Let me say that I've been a Victorinox fan, and just started collecting some Wengers about a year ago.  The only real attraction to me about the Wengers is the smaller size.  Much easier to carry a Teton in my dress pants than a Super Tinker.  I picked up a Wenger Evo 16 and was dismayed to find that the evolution scales made the tool the same thickness as the Vic ST.  As a result, the Evo 16 didn't see much pocket time.  So let's look at how the new Delemont compares.

All pictures are, top to bottom, or right to left:
Wenger teton (traditional scales)
Wenger Evolution 16
Victorinox EvoGrip 16
Victorinox Super Tinker US Flag scales

AS you can see, the redesigned Vic Delemont has even thicker scales than the Wenger did.  It's thicker than a Super Tinker!

An observation I hadn't heard before:  in addition to switching the can opener, reamer, toothpick and tweezers to the Vic designs, the Phillips driver appears to have been resized from a #1 (typical Wenger) to a #2 (typical Vic)
DSCN3636.JPG
* DSCN3636.JPG (Filesize: 244.09 KB)
DSCN3637.JPG
* DSCN3637.JPG (Filesize: 338.67 KB)
DSCN3638.JPG
* DSCN3638.JPG (Filesize: 331.82 KB)
DSCN3640.JPG
* DSCN3640.JPG (Filesize: 144.2 KB)
- Steve

us Online smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: A tale of 4 SAKs and disappointment
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 05:06:33 PM
It's hard to really get a feel for the size difference between the Teton and the Super Tinker.  A few more pics of just the two.
DSCN3642.JPG
* DSCN3642.JPG (Filesize: 156.79 KB)
DSCN3643.JPG
* DSCN3643.JPG (Filesize: 73.98 KB)
- Steve

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 05:49:55 PM
I thought that the standard sized Wenger with regular scales would be shorter than the equivalent Victorinox though not thinner. I never measured the thickness.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 06:13:41 PM
Ya the Delemonts are odd ducks.  The ones Ive seen so far dont excite me much and its had to imagine the line being offered for very long as they dont offer much benefit compared to the normal Vics.  I will miss the traditional wengers, but the delemonts not so much.  I did not realize the scales were so thick, thats another negative for the lineup.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:54:11 PM
I have two wenger knives that are identical except that one has "standard" scales, and the other Evo. I measured the difference in thickness once with a caliper at around 3mm.
That's just at the thickest (center) part of the Evo scales though, if measured across the 4 ergonomic indentations the difference is very little, and though in most respects I'd prefer a thinner knife, I must say that I don't negatively notice the extra thickness in my pocket, whereas I do appreciate the tactile feeling of the Evo. Those extra curves add to the eye-appeal IMO.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
I think we covered that in one of the new Delemont threads. Probably basilio.

The reason why the new Delemont Vic are thicker is cause the original Wengers had smaller liners and recessed scales so the liners would sit inside the scales. When Vic took over the build they enlarged the liners and sat the scales ON TOP of the liners, adding to the thickness. I was very sorry to see this cause it not only meant that they got thicker but also that I couldn't use old Wenger classic scales on the new line. And I by far prefer the Classic series of Wenger SAKs, non contoured, non Evo, very pocket friendly. These are not. :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%