Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rustproof metal

Offline swisstool11

Rustproof metal
on: January 05, 2007, 04:53:47 AM
I was wondering if one multitool brand (or knife for that matter) is more rust-resistant than another.  I thought I remember reading that there is something called H1 metal.  Apparently, it utilizes Nitrogen insteaad of Carbon and therefore is rustproof. 

Does anyone know about this? 

I was on the SOG site and looked under knife care and they were very strict about rubbing off fingerprints, etc. to prevent rust.  I guess it would be safe to assume that SOG knives don't contain this metal.   :o

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Rustproof metal
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:20:10 AM
The H1 your refering too is in the Spyderco Salt models that are rust proof....litteraly, unless you want to go with an all titanium knife. SOG Knives are fantastic knives but like many others, they do rust and must be taken care of. What it comes down too is care, how much something rusts and how fast is all in how well you take care of it.

David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:35:07 AM
I was wondering if one multitool brand (or knife for that matter) is more rust-resistant than another.......

Rust is a nasty, nasty thing indeed. Even though all of the mainstream multitools today are made from "stainless" steel, every one of them are vulnerable to corrosion. However, you might not ever see a speck of rust, depending upon where you live and how you use your tool. Humid areas, near salty ocean waters are the worst.   

Regarding the rust-resistance of various multitools, keep in mind that a polished finish will offer less of a foothold for rust to get started than a matte "bead blasted" finish. In general, the higher lustre the polish is, the better its ability to fend off corrosion will be.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 04:49:22 PM
Stainless does not stain (originally made for table cutlery so it would not stain if you left a fork in the pickled unions). Tool steel rusts is more expensive (as a rule) and needs looking after. All it needs is a wipe with oil and it will refrain from rusting as with stainless steel. Rustproof steel costs more than it is worth. There nowt wrong with a bit of rust. Put it in the freezer till frosted and polish with some wire wool will get rid of most rust blemish's. just make sure you put a film of oil over it when finished. Tuff cloth is a grate help to avert rust.
Basically Stainless is crap for hardness of the steel (but looks nice and is cheap), tool steel much harder but can rust. I want them to bring out real tools made with tool steel components (especially the jaws, knives and files) with maybe stainless handles, they won't though because the average customer would still go for the pretty stainless.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD