Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knipex Kraze

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

fi Offline Blunt Object

Re: Knipex Kraze
Reply #31 on: January 15, 2024, 11:17:53 PM
Until quite recently I didn't know Knipex existed. I have had no-brand pliers, house brand pliers and some Bahcos, and I've never really noticed any difference between them. They all get the job done. My oldest set of tools is a forty-something-years-old socket wrench set made in commie China back when they had bikes instead of superfast trains, and I still break it out whenever a nut or bolt needs tightening around the house. Incredibly, stuff made of even suspect steel lasts a long time. Crazy, I know.

So I definitely owe my Knipex Kraze to Youtube, like so many other cases of must-have-itis. After handling the Cobra XS and the wrench pliers I was sold. Taking apart a multitool has never been this easy, for example. They outperform any and every MT plier head I've ever handled. I'll be using them at home along with my other tools, to fix bikes, furniture etc. But I got them because I wanted to build a no-knife, 100% sheeple friendly and legal tool set in the size and weight class equal to Wave + bitkit minus the knife and saw, being (at least theoretically) airline safe. Let's see how that goes.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 06:35:56 AM
Perfect timing, I pocket carry 7" Cobras at work, always had the smaller pair but no way to carry it, until now

Large Nylon sheath, 5" Cobras, Mini Sharpie, and i3t EOS, Free P4

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 11:07:09 PM
 :like: :tu:

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #34 on: January 18, 2024, 12:04:15 AM
I am quite enjoying this thread. I must admit that I am a knipex fan, they are good.

I looked at the Channel Locks, but in the UK, they are the same as knipex

Sent from my CPH2409 using Tapatalk

gb Offline gra_farmer

Reply #35 on: January 18, 2024, 07:33:21 AM
I EDC the small 4 inch, even though I often have the charge on me.

Sent from my CPH2409 using Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 18, 2024, 01:27:01 PM
 :like: 

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #37 on: January 18, 2024, 10:16:20 PM
Here we go. To the left, my work carry Wave, bitkits, Bullet pen and marker. Along with a pocket knife (currently Vic Cadet) I'm covered.  Except that it's effectively illegal to walk around with this kit, unless in the very act of working on something. To be fair, our Police force is extremely professional, and normal people are virtually never hassled over tools. But the potential for prosecution is there. I also fly a lot. Often with only the carry on luggage. Inspired by some Youtube video I put together a no-knife, no-saw kit with a weight, dimensions, and functionality near similar to the Wave. I'm almost there. I'm currently only missing the file and wire cutting ability - I'm working on the former and can live without the latter.

The missing ingredient were the Knipex pliers. The wrench is redundancy, it won't stay in the kit, but there's ample room for more bits, as soon as I find plastic tubes that can hold 4-5 bits each.

So far it's just proof of concept. The local carrier allows scissors up to six centimetres, but I'm not sure how they would feel about the pry bar. With airlines you never know.

I just hate the idea of walking in a new location with no tools. A knife I can buy anywhere, or just pocket a steak knife at a restaurant. And yes, I know I can make a knifeless MT, but where's the fun in that!

* 20240118_223801.jpg (Filesize: 391.04 KB)

* 20240118_223321.jpg (Filesize: 366.36 KB)
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Offline Murphy Slaw

Reply #38 on: January 19, 2024, 03:34:51 PM
I've had American made Channellock stuff scattered around my home and vehicles for many decades.

Never owned or felt the need to buy the Knipex.

I've also worn a multi-tool  for nearly 3 decades.

Man, time flies.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #39 on: January 19, 2024, 06:42:41 PM
Here is my old and trusty Knipex Cobra its roughly 30 years old, my father gave me this around 20 years ago.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2024, 04:27:48 AM
I've had American made Channellock stuff scattered around my home and vehicles for many decades.

Never owned or felt the need to buy the Knipex.
I own and have used Channellocks for a couple of decades also.  They are quality tools.

However, I also own some Knipex, and I think they have advantages in certain applications…

1. Small/pocketable pliers - If you’re looking for pliers to, as you say, keep around the house and in vehicles, then I would say Channellocks are as good as anything.  But if you’re looking to actually carry pliers on your person regularly, Knipex is the winner.  The smallest sizes of Channellocks are 6.5” and 4.5” long, and they have jaw openings of 0.87”/22.1 mm and 0.5”/12.7 mm respectively.  The smallest Knipex Cobras are 125mm/4.9” and 100mm/3.9” long, and have jaw openings of 27mm/1.06” and 24mm/0.94” respectively.
2. Plierswrenches - If you don’t need to grip round stock, these are better than Channellocks or Knipex Cobras for maximizing torque on anything with wrench flats without marring the workpiece.  And so much better than adjustable wrenches.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%