Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Military Issue tool (where and what?)

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Re: Military Issue tool (where and what?)
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 02:42:44 PM
My brother who's in the Military said that Visiting U.S. forces in my country carry Gerber MT's. I'm not really sure if Gerber officially issued their tools to these soldiers.
In my experience; Gerber seems to pop up more with Maintenance Men and the Military than Leatherman. The vast majority of service members I've met have referred to all multis as "Gerber" regardless of the actual brand.

Funny! Makes me wonder why is that Spoon? I remember back then (and even up to this present day) when people in my place use to name other brands of toothpaste COLGATE be it CLOSE UP or CREST.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:00:19 PM by Teofilo »

Offline Hoghead

Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 02:50:27 AM
My brother who's in the Military said that Visiting U.S. forces in my country carry Gerber MT's. I'm not really sure if Gerber officially issued their tools to these soldiers.
In my experience; Gerber seems to pop up more with Maintenance Men and the Military than Leatherman. The vast majority of service members I've met have referred to all multis as "Gerber" regardless of the actual brand.

Funny! Makes me wonder why is that Spoon? I remember back then (and even up to this present day) when people in my place use to name other brands of toothpaste COLGATE be it CLOSE UP or CREST.

What I've read is that Gerbers are available and cheap in the PX.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 04:30:41 AM
Wow look @ the responses :o thanks guys I feel smarted already after reading all these post ::) So whats the list up to now :think:

US Navy Seals SOG SK2000
Australia Swisstool is this 1 standard or the spirit?
UK BAK
Germany GAK
Swiss SAK not really sure about this 1 :P ::) :D
Finland Fiskar R62
Singapore SOG Powerlock

I think this is it so far (if not) please edit and add @ your leisure Thanks guys :salute:

dont want to harass but its FiskarS RK62,the r comes from word RYNNÄKKÖ which compares to your assault,and the K from KIVÄÄRI which means rifle.its kinda odd "name" since the rifle and the knife both share the same code.

No harassment I want ppl to correct list of good as they can so it is correct ;) I would like as many ppl to help put this list together as possible :D

Offline nezza33

Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:32 AM
The BAK is a good knife but i we carried our own personel fixed blades if e wanted to.
J

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 08:15:03 AM
its then about the same situation as here,they only have those  Rk knives hidden in some emergeancy use or to be shared in case of war.so  guys carry what they want or get,even if it actualy is a bit against rules,where they say everything that is visible,has to be like....common,that everyone should carry same gear.its also prohibited to bring knives to your post,especially  during training time.but when i didnt first even know this and and at first day when i went to army i had in my bag crkt´s,leatherman,one big leuku,rk62,ka-bar,one sak and gerber´s one big folder,the MP at the gate,during personeal check and inspection of bags,opened the bag,saw them immediately,he just looked at me with happy evil smile and said that"do u know these arent allowed here",and shutted the bag and told that all´s good to go.we have this culture of carryin knives everywhere,and most of the guys showed up there with some sort of blade with em,except for those yippies who brought some facial ceansing liquids and twwzers,and later on winter they begged and paid for us to pry their MRE spam cans etc open :D,cause they werent carryin even a small sak to open drymeal pouches etc.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 12:03:39 AM
Most ppl I know carry some sort of knife as well, but this is the country and most ppl are carpenters, masons, farmers etc. so it goes along with there life :)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 11:06:20 AM
Well according to Ebay ::) :P the SOG Powerlock is Navy Seal issue and the SOG Paratool is also Navy Seal issue :think: either I am wrong or they are both issued for different jobs in the Seals ??? Could someone clarify this  :)
It is more than likely that neither is U.S. Navy SEAL issued. Sellers on eBay use things like that to appeal to the gullible people of the world. I've seen cheap, bright yellow and blue, Chinese "diving" knives listed as U.S. Navy SEAL issue.

That is not to say that the U.S. Navy doesn't issue Powerlocks to their men, I'm just saying that eBay isn't always honest (the sellers aren't, at least!).

If I'm not mistaken, the U.S. Navy SEALs are issued a SOG fixed blade. The "SEAL Team" I think.
The SK2000 I think :think:
The SEAL Team is the new version of the SK2000 (I think so, at least).
[

Offline ecam

Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 09:54:56 AM

I was in the US Marines as a computer tech.  I was not issued any MT, but that really varies depending on the unit or a specific section of the unit.  I don't think anyone in my unit was issued a MT, but there were people who bought their own tools, but they maintained other things where they might be more useful.  The most common tool I used was a crimper for RJ45 (the 8 conductor tip for network cables, looks similar to US phone plugs but wider), #2 Philips screwdrivers, and cable testers.  A multitool wouldn't have done me much good.

Gerber and Leathermans were most common from what I saw, and multitools are referred to as Leathermans or Gerbers regardless of brand - even if it's some flea market special.

I don't know if there's any preference towards any brand.  The decision might be cost or requirements of the tool, or it could be purchased by the individual which is what usually happened where I worked.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 09:59:51 AM
here they kept calling any cheap rip off too as "leathermans",and gerber......"what,what did u say".

strange but no one back then was really aware of gerber,as brand,and still gerber is connected to finnish fiskars.
well...back then i think gerbers were better,there wasnt any suspensions to ruin badly the brand.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #39 on: July 21, 2008, 10:01:03 AM
Welcome to the forum Ecam :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 01:31:06 AM

I was in the US Marines as a computer tech.  I was not issued any MT, but that really varies depending on the unit or a specific section of the unit.  I don't think anyone in my unit was issued a MT, but there were people who bought their own tools, but they maintained other things where they might be more useful.  The most common tool I used was a crimper for RJ45 (the 8 conductor tip for network cables, looks similar to US phone plugs but wider), #2 Philips screwdrivers, and cable testers.  A multitool wouldn't have done me much good.

Gerber and Leathermans were most common from what I saw, and multitools are referred to as Leathermans or Gerbers regardless of brand - even if it's some flea market special.

I don't know if there's any preference towards any brand.  The decision might be cost or requirements of the tool, or it could be purchased by the individual which is what usually happened where I worked.

Welcome to the forum ecam, me thinks Victorinox cybertool is best for you  :D Are you still working in the IT sector?
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53:19 AM
Welcome to the ecam :salute: and thanks for the input :cheers: any bit helps  :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 09:54:31 AM
heres some russian issues:

AKM Type 2

AKM TYPE 1

classic :D ak-47

deactivated newer model of ak-47 & 100

smersh-1

and pretty intresting NV-01 that s issued to russian survival kits:

these are issued to presidents ligeguard troops:
NOKS MANGUST-k

this version of smersh is used very videly and issued to allmost all kinds of special troops in russia:
smersh-3

(thres also version 4 availeable,its about an inch longer,othervise the same)

smersh knifes may look like some fillet knifes but actually theyre really tough blades and reliable,here one highly respected,military oriented magazine tested it and gave it 5/5 points.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:52:10 AM by Tarrodemierda »

Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 12:00:56 PM
Ever notice that the russians are the only one's who put there bayonets the right way up :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 01:07:50 PM
well they are so old fashioned ones,they like to drive the bayonet(whuile attached to ak)to some enemys lower belly,maybe to the b-alls and just lift it and rip the guts out all the way to the neck...if the ribcage wont stop the blade..brutal,yet effective.

Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 02:59:28 PM
well they are so old fashioned ones,they like to drive the bayonet(whuile attached to ak)to some enemys lower belly,maybe to the b-alls and just lift it and rip the guts out all the way to the neck...if the ribcage wont stop the blade..brutal,yet effective.
Yep, thats the proper way to do it if you ask me, just ask any WW2 vet :)

Offline ecam

Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 05:47:05 AM
Welcome to the forum ecam, me thinks Victorinox cybertool is best for you  :D Are you still working in the IT sector?

Interesting tool, but right now I'm leaning towards a Leatherman Skeletool or Fuse.  Although the Cybertool has a lot tools that might come in handy, I want my multi-tool to be something that I can use in a pinch, not on a regular basis since we have a tool set at the office already.  When you said that name, I thought it was the one with the flash drive on it and that I wouldn't need it since they just bought the 4GB encrypted drive I asked for.

I'm currently working in the IT sector for city government.  It's an internship only, but it's something I can do for income while I'm going to school.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:00:32 AM by ecam »

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:10 PM
finnish army and police forces,maybe other instances too are now testing swisstool to become an issued multitool :police:

Reply #48 on: July 30, 2008, 03:49:37 PM
finnish army and police forces,maybe other instances too are now testing swisstool to become an issued multitool :police:
They've got a lot of sence then :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 08:26:00 PM
this one is an issued or actually like approved knife to carry in finish army,since its been bought in whole sale deals by different army groups.snipers get their own,pioneers their own etc.

this is mine,from Prigade of Pori,formerly known as the royal sniper battallion of Turku.

Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:12 PM
Now that, I like :drool:

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:01 PM
i thought u might dig it Micky.

its a custom made Marttiini for military use only.
that bear in the end of handle is really nice,since its robust,and it represents the post i was in army,the bear holding a sword is used only by Brigade of Pori.its cast in bronze.

Reply #52 on: July 30, 2008, 10:24:14 PM

that bear in the end of handle is really nice,since its robust,and it represents the post i was in army,the bear holding a sword is used only by Brigade of Pori.its cast in bronze.
If you get the chance mate, read Sven Hassel, as he's got huge respect for the Finn's ability to fight :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 30, 2008, 10:31:51 PM

If you get the chance mate, read Sven Hassel, as he's got huge respect for the Finn's ability to fight :)

oh man,ive crawled thru almost all Hassels already :D

Reply #54 on: July 30, 2008, 10:32:57 PM
Good man, I knew you were a man of class :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 30, 2008, 10:37:06 PM
hey ima bit of a militaryman,armyman,action man and i read all about war i can get into my palms,especially those books that tell the story in one private soldiers point of view.

and im a green baret :D

Reply #56 on: July 30, 2008, 10:39:16 PM
I'm pretty sure there the mob Mr Hassel was talking about :think:

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 11:52:45 PM
i just discovered that some of the Swedish UN / Kfor units used Crunch as an issued tool during Kosovo "tour".

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: August 01, 2008, 03:56:55 AM
i just discovered that some of the Swedish UN / Kfor units used Crunch as an issued tool during Kosovo "tour".

:o that's interesting man Mikko you sure have alot of info on this stuff :D :salute: thanks :cheers:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #59 on: August 01, 2008, 04:45:27 AM
hey ima bit of a militaryman,armyman,action man and i read all about war i can get into my palms,especially those books that tell the story in one private soldiers point of view.

and im a green baret :D

You'd love the war stories that come from the "elders" here in Cherry Hill, NJ.  You were either in Vietnam or in Isreal(1967) ::)

" we were surounded on all sides!!!  Outnumbered 20 to 1!!!  And in 6 days!!  And 5 HOURS!!   We scored a MAJOR VICTORY!!....."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:50:22 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%