Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small tinker appreciation.

cbl51 · 102 · 19635

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Small tinker appreciation.
on: January 09, 2015, 09:46:34 PM
I was gifted a small tinker recently. I've had tinker in the past, and I liked it, but I gifted it off to someone who needed it more than me. I've been thinking of getting another SAK, and an 84mm one though. Washington D.C. and federal building regulations limit the size of the knife. My Vic bantam passes, but although I like the bantam, it's lacking a little. The compb tool is a little limiting. So I was ready to pull the trigger on a recruit, when this small tinker comes in the mail.

I love it!

Never having had a small tinker, I love the full compliment of tools, but the smaller size makes a difference in dress casual pants and "going downtown." Being a person who likes small pocketknives like Case peanuts and Vic classics. the small tinker fits in with my 'maximum minimalism' theory of operations. I guess being a lifelong light weight backpacker has left an influence on my psyche that runs deep. I always pick the smallest item that will get the job done. Monoculars instead of even compact binoculars, small compact car, compact firearms. I really love the small tinker.

Now if only Victorinox would make a pioneer junior! :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Offline tylosaurus

Re: Small tinker appreciation.
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:19:46 PM
I'll second the small tinker.  It's definitely small and light in the pockets, but when you use it, it acts like a full sized SAK. 

My measurement on the blade is right at 2.5", so I'm wondering if it will pass the 2.5" test for federal buildings.  Let us know how it goes, next time you are downtown.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:19 PM
I was gifted a small tinker recently. I've had tinker in the past, and I liked it, but I gifted it off to someone who needed it more than me. I've been thinking of getting another SAK, and an 84mm one though. Washington D.C. and federal building regulations limit the size of the knife. My Vic bantam passes, but although I like the bantam, it's lacking a little. The compb tool is a little limiting. So I was ready to pull the trigger on a recruit, when this small tinker comes in the mail.

I love it!

Never having had a small tinker, I love the full compliment of tools, but the smaller size makes a difference in dress casual pants and "going downtown." Being a person who likes small pocketknives like Case peanuts and Vic classics. the small tinker fits in with my 'maximum minimalism' theory of operations. I guess being a lifelong light weight backpacker has left an influence on my psyche that runs deep. I always pick the smallest item that will get the job done. Monoculars instead of even compact binoculars, small compact car, compact firearms. I really love the small tinker.

You're making me want to buy one! :facepalm:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:25:24 AM
I love the Small Tinker.

I had one, traded it away... and then went out and got another. It's one of only a few tools I've ever gotten rid of only to get again, and that really says something, IMO.

It is a WHOLE lot of useful for it's small size. And it might be the biggest SAK that I'd still consider reasonable for actual keychain carry. It's also the smallest size of SAK where the blades give me a real sense of confidence.

Get one, Higgins. Do it. Do it!  :pok:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 02:50:24 AM
I love the Small Tinker.

I had one, traded it away... and then went out and got another. It's one of only a few tools I've ever gotten rid of only to get again, and that really says something, IMO.

It is a WHOLE lot of useful for it's small size. And it might be the biggest SAK that I'd still consider reasonable for actual keychain carry. It's also the smallest size of SAK where the blades give me a real sense of confidence.

... and this time ... IIRC ... Kirky blames YOU!  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:32 AM
The small Tinker is a winner.

I never understood why someone would choose a Recruit when the small Tinker is identical in size to the Recruit and has the same layer tools plus having two very useful back layer tools.  IMHO, the small Tinker is a no brainer.  It's great.   :2tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:03:07 AM
It's an excellent sized SAK for sure. I just have something lodged deep in my psyche that a "proper" SAK has a corkscrew and scissors  :D I used to have an old Tinker Small, but Kirky has (had?) that. I also have a Salesman (small tinker with scissors) which has the can key Phillips, and again a good size and lots of capability. I :salute: anyone who carries a SAK through life though, whether C/S or phillips, Alox or Celidor.

I hope it serves you well  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 03:16:30 AM

The cadet is actually pretty close, except that it replaces the awl with the (less useful to me) nail file.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:38:51 AM

The cadet is actually pretty close, except that it replaces the awl with the (less useful to me) nail file.

And there is the problem. I love the alox awl, it's way more useful that a nail file.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 04:52:38 AM
The small Tinker is a great sak and it was my first sak as a teenager and I carried it for over 25 years til the springs wore so it had alot of play to it.  It never let me down no matter what I was doing and back then I was outdoors more, camping, Boy Scouts, fishing etc.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:48:40 AM
I like the small Tinker a lot, cute little thing.

>:D But for it to be ideal you would need to change the Philips for a corkscrew and the small blade to a nailfile   >:D

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 02:50:00 PM
I like the small Tinker a lot, cute little thing.

>:D But for it to be ideal you would need to change the Philips for a corkscrew and the small blade to a nailfile   >:D
That's an awesome looking Tinker , Have not seen one like that before :drool:

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:12:50 PM
Love the Tinker Small as well, just wish, wish, wish it had scissors then it would be my EDC instead of my Super Tinker or Explorer.
Still a great tool as it stands though.
Regards, Jon.

Sent using my chubby fingers...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:38 PM
The small tinker is the SAK I have the most backups of, I think I have 6 new ones.  They are cheap and a great tool!  :D 

I do have plans to add scissors to some of them and make the perfect little super tinker SAK.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 09:21:32 PM
Agree. The small Tinker is a great choice för EDC. Great size and the right tools.
Scissors are "nice to have" but not necessary. There is nothing such a übersharp blade like the one on 84mm models can't do that scissors can.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 11:13:19 PM
I love the Small Tinker.

'Sright!

The one I got from Lynn still sees lots of service,then there's the one I got from Al,both square Phillips,one from NutSAK with a round slotted Phillips,and a stock modern one...think that's it :think:

Still want to put a Phillips into a Sportsman :whistle:

Oh,and the idea of a Syph built Salesman?  :ahhh :drool: :ahhh :drool:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 08:36:40 AM
Another vote for the small Tinker here. They work in so many EDC ways in the real world that they really do deserve a proper place in the spotlight. Deffo :tu:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:21 AM
I have a small Tinker but I do like the cork screw so I find myself carrying a Tourist more often.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 09:44:04 AM
The small tinker is the SAK I have the most backups of, I think I have 6 new ones.  They are cheap and a great tool!  :D 

I do have plans to add scissors to some of them and make the perfect little super tinker SAK.  :D

Six back ups? You forgetful or people in Canada a bunch of SAK theives?

I love the Small Tinker.

'Sright!

The one I got from Lynn still sees lots of service,then there's the one I got from Al,both square Phillips,one from NutSAK with a round slotted Phillips,and a stock modern one...think that's it :think:

Still want to put a Phillips into a Sportsman :whistle:

Oh,and the idea of a Syph built Salesman?  :ahhh :drool: :ahhh :drool:

To bad Syph does not do anything but 91's and Alox SAKs.

Scissors in a 84mm is a simple swap?

Sportsman has the nail file huh. Harley likes.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 12:47:43 PM
I carry a Tinker in my pocket at home and a Deluxe Tinker in a belt pouch when I go out. I really like that black checkered small Tinker above. Where did you get it? Never seen one like it. I want!
Rich S
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

gb Offline Pignut71

Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 01:59:05 PM

Agree. The small Tinker is a great choice för EDC. Great size and the right tools.
Scissors are "nice to have" but not necessary. There is nothing such a übersharp blade like the one on 84mm models can't do that scissors can.

Umm? Try trimming nose hair with a SAK blade! Lol...

Regards, Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 03:38:07 PM
Lately I been eyeing a "Victorinox Swiss Army Evolution S111" which is very small tinker-ish.  Hmmm  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
While the Sportsman takes the edge IMO I do still have a lot of time for the Tinker Small.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 04:04:19 PM
Solution for scissors..... Climber small, Tourist and small Tinker on the bottom

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 04:14:17 PM
Lately I been eyeing a "Victorinox Swiss Army Evolution S111" which is very small tinker-ish.  Hmmm  :facepalm:

I have this. Like the tools and the lock, but hate the "evo" handles - very uncomfortable in my hand.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 05:20:26 PM
Solution for scissors..... Climber small, Tourist and small Tinker on the bottom(Image removed from quote.)

Dang KMan don't do that. I was all like yeah grab a Climber Small and throw on a backside phillips, done!

Until I looked on SKAWiki and say it was discoed grr.  :twak:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:37 PM
Definitely one of my favorite SAKs, tough to find and when you do they are pricey :salute:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 11:18:40 PM
Small tinker is nice but I don't really see any disadvantage in carrying the full size version. You get a better large blade and slightly beefier openers for a very small increase in size and weight (less than 10g).

That said, I'll stick my little tinker in my pocket for the next week and see how I get on.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 12:01:42 AM
I am still missing a Alumnus.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:09 AM
 :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds