Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small tinker appreciation.

cbl51 · 102 · 19716

us Offline TennTexan

• Carpe omnia cultris
Re: Small tinker appreciation.
Reply #60 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:08 PM
A Tinker Family . . .
Apprentice, Small Tinker, Tinker, Super Tinker and Deluxe Tinker

(Image removed from quote.)

John
:drool: :drool: :drool:
(\(\                                                                                ⁁ -----,__
( -.-)  o˫▄▄═ ‑‑‑-----------------------------------     _____⁁[_____}═══════
0(")(")    /|\                                                       /_____________\
"""""""""""""""""""I                                                ',(o)(o)(o)(o)(o),'

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:44 PM
84mm Tinker is tops in my book.  It came to me by total surprise.  I would have never considered this tool years ago.  Glad I hung onto a few.  Such a great tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 02:14:58 AM
84mm Tinker is tops in my book.  It came to me by total surprise.  I would have never considered this tool years ago.  Glad I hung onto a few.  Such a great tool.
You tried a cadet by the way? I'm kinda traveling the world, spreading the good word of the cadet now. If I can get hooked of a 84 mm spring and scissors I'll make out the ultimate EDC I think!

I agree about the tinker though, it's super capable!

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:32 AM
You tried a cadet by the way? I'm kinda traveling the world, spreading the good word of the cadet now. If I can get hooked of a 84 mm spring and scissors I'll make out the ultimate EDC I think!

I love the Cadet. Great size and weight. Lovely tool set.

I wrote to Victorinox and suggested they produce a "Cadet X"--Cadet + scissors. I am still waiting for a call from the Nobel Prize committee.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 07:37:14 AM

I love the Cadet. Great size and weight. Lovely tool set.

I wrote to Victorinox and suggested they produce a "Cadet X"--Cadet + scissors. I am still waiting for a call from the Nobel Prize committee.

I have a Cadet 2 and its a terrific SAK.  I really should get a newer one. 

Cadet X  :ahhh yes please. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:13 PM
Bumping this thread, its nice to pay tribute to my favourite sak from time to time  :D

Long live the Small Tinker  :salute:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline _nw

Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 07:08:20 PM
Tinker and Super Tinker!(Image removed from quote.)

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

Was reading this thread as I have a Tinker Small otw. Noticed the words reflected on the Super Tinker, hard pass.

Pretty sure this is my first post haha.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 08:40:51 PM
Small Tinker, small Super Tinker (AKA Salesman) and small Deluxe Tinker (AKA Tradesman in Wengerese)......😜  To be more exact, it is a Serrated Tradesman.    :cheers:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 09:09:19 PM
Small Tinker, small Super Tinker (AKA Salesman) and small Deluxe Tinker (AKA Tradesman in Wengerese)......😜  To be more exact, it is a Serrated Tradesman.    :cheers:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:06 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:hatsoff:   Tinkers are fun no matter who made them......... :cheers:

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #70 on: September 20, 2018, 11:21:54 PM
Nice pics gentlemen  :salute:

Anytime you have a Tinker in the pocket everything is awlright  :cheers:
IMG_20180920_172029.jpg
* IMG_20180920_172029.jpg (Filesize: 163.28 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: January 11, 2020, 05:14:50 PM
This one needs a bump so here is mine

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #72 on: January 11, 2020, 09:07:20 PM
Looks great Ray!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: January 11, 2020, 09:12:31 PM
Thanks - it is a light one for sure!  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: June 07, 2020, 01:25:33 AM
Question about peoples' experience with the opener layer on the 84mm models.

I realized that all of my opening has been done with 91, 93, and 111mm models.  Each one does have a noticeable difference with the bottle opener.  Not a bit deal, but I do find that I need a bit of adjustment when I get used to one or the other.  I realize I can do an experiment myself, but I would want a good sample size of data points - and I don't want to form such an important opinion when I am drunk with a belly full of fish.

My question is - does anyone have an opinion of the opener on the 84mm models in comparison to the others?  Suffice it to say I have done enough opening in my day to have a preference for good performance characteristics for both the bottle and can opener.  I would trust that they perform adequately if and when needed.  But as an example, I don't like the bottle opener on a LM Micra.  Based on that I don't think I would want to use a Rambler bottle opener.....

And so, I wonder if anyone has opinions on the Tinker small or any other in that weight class.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #75 on: June 07, 2020, 02:20:21 AM
Question about peoples' experience with the opener layer on the 84mm models.

I realized that all of my opening has been done with 91, 93, and 111mm models.  Each one does have a noticeable difference with the bottle opener.  Not a bit deal, but I do find that I need a bit of adjustment when I get used to one or the other.  I realize I can do an experiment myself, but I would want a good sample size of data points - and I don't want to form such an important opinion when I am drunk with a belly full of fish.

My question is - does anyone have an opinion of the opener on the 84mm models in comparison to the others?  Suffice it to say I have done enough opening in my day to have a preference for good performance characteristics for both the bottle and can opener.  I would trust that they perform adequately if and when needed.  But as an example, I don't like the bottle opener on a LM Micra.  Based on that I don't think I would want to use a Rambler bottle opener.....

And so, I wonder if anyone has opinions on the Tinker small or any other in that weight class.

The 84mm openers work just fine. They only have a little less leverage than the larger frames. I use them as drivers mostly. Of course they aren't as strong as the 93mm and 111mm ones, yet they can take a surprising amount of torque.

There are untold opinions to be had on the 84mm knives, just about all positive. Have you read the rest of the thread?  :pok:

I'm a big big fan of the current two layer cellidor models. I don't like going without the openers layer. Lately the Tourist has been my favourite as I like the small blade. The corkscrew is handy as a nail cleaner and knot loosener that also holds the mini SD. The Sportsman is similar if you don't mind going without the small blade. It was my favourite for ages. The Tinker Small is more comfortable to hold than the corkscrew models, but is pipped by the Recruit if you don't use the back tools. The Recruit is also very light. A great knife if again you don't need the back tools. It's also cheap new and very available used for hardly anything, if you live in the States.

Lots of people love the alox 84mm knives. They pocket well and look nice but based on the Voyageur, the only alox 84mm I have, I find them too skinny in the hand.

In my experience the Rambler's bottle opener works pretty well, for such a tiny tool.

I trust you've had a great night and aren't too hungover by the time you read this!  :cheers:
Rambler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: June 07, 2020, 03:32:23 PM
I keep a small Tinker in my kitchen on our phone charging station.  I've opened a great many cans with it.  I don't open any bottles tho.  The can opener is just as great IMO as all Vic can openers.  The handle is smaller so a slight adjustment to holding it.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Altis

Reply #77 on: January 05, 2021, 01:57:21 AM
Finally picked one of these up (my first with a T-Phillips). I can see it quickly becoming a go-to for daily carry -- easy on the pocket and very comfortable in the hand.

Pictured here with my Explorer that I just rescaled in blue.  :cheers:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: January 05, 2021, 02:20:01 PM
 :like:   :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: January 05, 2021, 03:38:00 PM
 :iagree: Congrats.  Its a great pocket size with lots of capability. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mad Scientist

Reply #80 on: January 06, 2021, 11:34:12 PM
Are the Phillips drivers the same size on both?

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: January 06, 2021, 11:49:33 PM

:iagree: :tu:

ca Offline Altis

Reply #82 on: January 07, 2021, 01:27:57 AM
Are the Phillips drivers the same size on both?

They look identical to me.

ca Offline Altis

Reply #83 on: January 07, 2021, 01:29:17 AM

Thanks! So far I love this model.  :cheers:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: January 07, 2021, 01:14:50 PM
Thanks! So far I love this model.  :cheers:

:tu: :drink:

Offline Victornox

Reply #85 on: June 13, 2021, 08:47:27 PM

I agree the small Tinker is small but takes on big responsibilities I carry it everyday !

I was gifted a small tinker recently. I've had tinker in the past, and I liked it, but I gifted it off to someone who needed it more than me. I've been thinking of getting another SAK, and an 84mm one though. Washington D.C. and federal building regulations limit the size of the knife. My Vic bantam passes, but although I like the bantam, it's lacking a little. The compb tool is a little limiting. So I was ready to pull the trigger on a recruit, when this small tinker comes in the mail.

I love it!

Never having had a small tinker, I love the full compliment of tools, but the smaller size makes a difference in dress casual pants and "going downtown." Being a person who likes small pocketknives like Case peanuts and Vic classics. the small tinker fits in with my 'maximum minimalism' theory of operations. I guess being a lifelong light weight backpacker has left an influence on my psyche that runs deep. I always pick the smallest item that will get the job done. Monoculars instead of even compact binoculars, small compact car, compact firearms. I really love the small tinker.

Now if only Victorinox would make a pioneer junior! :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: June 13, 2021, 09:12:39 PM
 :cheers:  Welcome!

I agree.  The Small Tinker or Tourist would be fine for an EDC.  but for me, over the years I've needed scissors.  It's unfortunate that scissors don't come in an 84mm SAK any more.  The 85mm SAKs lose a point in my estimation because while they are shorter than a 91mm, they are wider than their 91mm counterpart.

But I might have found a solution to my scissor problem... we'll see.

Offline bobartig

Reply #87 on: June 14, 2021, 10:32:13 PM
At the risk of taking some fire for asking, can I get a Small Tinker that isn't red? I think the tool set looks fantastic, but after growing up with decades of the "swiss army red", I like my new knives to have a bit of variety to them. At the very least, make it easier to tell them apart!

I just got a Donuts printed full-sized Tinker from SMKW. The printing is really too fragile to EDC, but a small tinker to take with me sounds amazing.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #88 on: June 15, 2021, 03:24:14 AM
:cheers:  Welcome!

I agree.  The Small Tinker or Tourist would be fine for an EDC.  but for me, over the years I've needed scissors.  It's unfortunate that scissors don't come in an 84mm SAK any more.  The 85mm SAKs lose a point in my estimation because while they are shorter than a 91mm, they are wider than their 91mm counterpart.

But I might have found a solution to my scissor problem... we'll see.

You could just by an Evowood and sand each scale down 1.5mm and have virtually the same thing. I'm just happy, after all these years of not having 84mm w/scissors easily available, to have the Delemonts as a viable option.
- Terry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: June 16, 2021, 04:25:22 AM
You could just by an Evowood and sand each scale down 1.5mm and have virtually the same thing. I'm just happy, after all these years of not having 84mm w/scissors easily available, to have the Delemonts as a viable option.

Well, possibly....
What I wouldnt mind ....  An Evo S17 (corkscrew) with the EvoS18 scales (yellow).  I haven't seen the yellow grippy scales available for replacement.  chunky or not, the yellow evogrop scales look nice, but I'd rather not have the EvoS18 with the phillips. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%