Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber TurboDiesel

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Gerber TurboDiesel
on: January 10, 2015, 12:27:43 AM
The Gerber TurboDiesel is my largest knifeless mod to date. I already had a plain stainless variety of Diesel, but wanted to go one step further. For this I wanted a black oxide version.

To be quite honest, other than a little re-sequencing of how the tools are arranged in the handles, there is not much to differentiate this tool from any other diesel - one change in fact, but that one change adds a whole different dimension to the tool - jigsaw blades.

The idea came from the fact that the Diesel file does not have the serrations along the edge for metal sawing. I then figured out that if I could drop in a blade changer unit, I could keep the ceramic Remgrit blade in there, but also couple it with jigsaw blades if required. I still wanted to keep the standard Diesel saw in place though, as I actually quite like it. It also means I need to lug around less peripheral accessories.

The blade holder was harvested from a previous mod of mine I dubbed the DEsTroyer, which was a MP600 DET that had the shears dropped in from a Paul Chen Multitasker (I'll figure out what to fill the gap with on that tool another day). All I lost from the Diesel in order to get this in was the partially serrated tanto blade, and the lanyard loop. All other functions of the Diesel remain. I was going to remove the semi-flattened Phillips driver and install the full 3D driver from the DEsTroyer, but opted against it.

I kepth the flattened Phillips for two reasons. Firstly, the Diesel driver has a slightly longer reach than the MP600 driver, and secondly it gave me a reason to couple this tool with the Diesel's bit adaptor. I do have the adaptor for the MP600 too, but that gets occasional use with the MP700 and MP426 mod, so I didn't want to tie that up to a specific kit. The MP600 driver will act as back up, in that should I ever deform the Diesel driver by over torquing it, I'll replace with with the 600's. Unfortunately that does mean I'll have to choose another tool to sacrifice from the line up. Initially I was going to dispose of the can opener to do this, as I would never use a BO can opener (not food safe), however the can opener on the Diesel does function quite well as an awl in the absence of anything better.

Other than the now absent lanyard loop (which I don't need as I don't work at heights, and no longer have a boat to drop tools from) the only function missing is a knife blade ... and I prefer dedicated knives to those on multitools anyway. There was only one knife in my array with the looks and capability to back up this supercharged Diesel ...

... the Boker XS.

Despite it's size and looks, the knife is actually non-locking with a cutting edge not exceeding 3" ... and is therefore UK legal for general carry. I had never used it for general carry though, as despite it's legality, it was still a bit of a granny scarer. It is quite a capable knife though for most chores, and should I ever need serrations, I'll fall back on the Diesel's saw to tear it's way through.

So we have multitool, bitset, and knife ..... we need a torch!

I decided to add into the mix my old faithful Fenix PD20 with lantern attachment and suspension clip. Not only does this give me a light, but also potenial for using it hands free. This gives me the basis of a kit ... a kit I had already built ages ago, and one that served me well, but one I was wanting to upgrade. The kit originally had a LED light that clips on a 9V battery, a CT41 and a SOG Toolclip. Those items have now been removed and the new items installed.

Additional items:

Rite-in-the-rain pen
4" Bahco adjustable spanner
1m measuring tape
FRED
Photon
Mini Clipper Lighter

I need to now review the contents of the back pockets and see what other usefull goodies I can get in there without overloading the Maxped Micro EDC pouch ... but so far I'm very happy with it

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Gerber TurboDiesel
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:30:51 AM
Cool mod.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:06:18 AM
That looks real nice mate.  :cheers:

I've never held a Diesel. Also I like that you manage to explain some. I find that really hard to do so just post pics.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 01:14:17 AM
Thanks fellers  :salute:

I've never held a Diesel. Also I like that you manage to explain some. I find that really hard to do so just post pics.

I never have a problem getting wordy, but you probably already noticed that  :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 01:17:40 AM
Thanks fellers  :salute:

I never have a problem getting wordy, but you probably already noticed that  :D

I should get you to write up my threads.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 01:48:47 AM
 :D :D

If the tallies under our names went on word count rather than post count, I would be significantly higher up the rankings  :whistle:

As an aside, I hope to get another new thread up shortly showing clearly why (for me) this tool always beats the equivalent Leatherman tools. This isn't a nonsense Gerber vs LM exercise or any kind of wind up, but a genuine and honest demonstration as to why I take some of the views I do on certain tools  :salute:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 01:54:01 AM
I still think your a closet LM lover. oke:
LMAO!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:48 AM
I honestly have about equal numbers of tools from LM and Gerber. I critique the tools rather than the brand (most of the time  :whistle:) it's just that Leatherman seem to like giving me ammo to shoot them down with  >:D

That said, it was the Roundhouse Kick mod all week this week, and that was the tool used (with the tox bits) for stripping down and rebuilding this Diesel  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 02:54:13 AM
Obviously not much love for the Diesel round here  :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 02:58:40 AM

It looks like one of my threads.  :P

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 03:22:14 AM
I like it.

:tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 03:35:35 AM
I've always had my doubts about the flat Phillips but other than that the Diesel is a pretty nice tool. Nice mod :tu:
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 03:54:56 AM

It looks like one of my threads.  :P

:rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 03:55:36 AM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 03:58:35 AM
I've always had my doubts about the flat Phillips but other than that the Diesel is a pretty nice tool. Nice mod :tu:

I know what you mean Steve, but in fairness the Grappler's one worked quite well, and I've never had any real issues with the LM bits (which are essentially the same profile). The Wingman and Sidekick seem to have their fans round here too  :D

My only real concern is if I overtorque it with the full 3D bit adaptor in place. Should that happen though, I'll switch it (and something else) out to put in the one from the DET

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 04:16:14 AM
Good job buddy, looks very good!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
Thanks mate  :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:14 AM
I had to read the whole thing twice to understand it as I'm a Gerber Noob. It looks like a good tool and I second the combination of bladeless MT + dedicated folder.

Would you post a picture of your Diesel next to a MP600 for me, please?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 12:09:45 PM
I had to read the whole thing twice to understand it as I'm a Gerber Noob. It looks like a good tool and I second the combination of bladeless MT + dedicated folder.

I don't have a stock MP600 for comparison, but I will try to take some meaningful pics alongside what's left of the DeSTroyer mod. Is there anything particular you are wanting comparisons of?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:21 PM

I don't have a stock MP600 for comparison, but I will try to take some meaningful pics alongside what's left of the DeSTroyer mod. Is there anything particular you are wanting comparisons of?
No, just the size. I have a hard time going from numbers...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 12:20:26 PM

No problem  :tu: I have to go out shortly, but I'll try to do this when I get back  :cheers:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 07:15:21 PM
I like the looks of the Turbo Diesel. I don't think I would have opted for two saw blades but I can certainly rationalize taking that blade out and carrying a separate blade for several reasons with this tool.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 07:34:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about that much, it's kind of disheartening sometimes when you put all the effort in taking pics and posting a write-up and there's hardly a single page of responses. Most of us have been through that. Just ask Chako who is one of many with great posts and sometimes very little responses.

Rest assured people still read your and posts of others and enjoy the content, it's just that they don't tend to respond and comment much these days. It's the way of online forums in general, at least this is something I noticed being a member of dozen other forums around.

BTW, great mod and while I am one of many who doesn't normally share your discontent and poking a stick at Leatherman tools, this Gerber I like very much. Maybe Gerber should take notice and create one of knife-less Diesels as standard offering, like they did with an MP600.  ;)

Keep up the good work, mate!  :tu:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:08 PM
Very :vader:

:cheers:

And looks like a useful tool too. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 09:56:25 PM

No problem  :tu: I have to go out shortly, but I'll try to do this when I get back  :cheers:

Are these any good for you ...? I thought I'd throw in a quick comparison of the two Phillips drivers too. The Diesel is above and the modified MP600 is below in all pics. Please also note that the amount that the heads protrude will vary according to the type fitted (needle nosed, blunt nosed, fishing pliers, or the Paul Chen shears in the model shown)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 10:05:48 PM
I like the looks of the Turbo Diesel. I don't think I would have opted for two saw blades but I can certainly rationalize taking that blade out and carrying a separate blade for several reasons with this tool.

Yeah, I can see that standard tanto-esque blade being a turn off for many users. As to having two saw blades, I see your point, but it doesn't pose too much duplication really. The Remgrit blade will be left in there for the most part (because it's matches the looks of the tool) unless I need to switch it for a metal cutting jigsaw blade. As I see it, the fitted woodsaw and file will pick up most of what is needed, but the blade exchanger is there just incase there's something that the others would struggle with. I might even source a couple of rough/fine toothed wood blades fo compliment the fitted saw for cutting stuff that's particularly sappy/claggy, or plastics, or whatever ...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 10:08:13 PM

I wouldn't worry about that much, it's kind of disheartening sometimes when you put all the effort in taking pics and posting a write-up and there's hardly a single page of responses. Most of us have been through that. Just ask Chako who is one of many with great posts and sometimes very little responses.

Rest assured people still read your and posts of others and enjoy the content, it's just that they don't tend to respond and comment much these days. It's the way of online forums in general, at least this is something I noticed being a member of dozen other forums around.

BTW, great mod and while I am one of many who doesn't normally share your discontent and poking a stick at Leatherman tools, this Gerber I like very much. Maybe Gerber should take notice and create one of knife-less Diesels as standard offering, like they did with an MP600.  ;)

Keep up the good work, mate!  :tu:

I know, don't worry, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek  :D

Many thanks for your kind comments  :cheers: I think this could prove to be quite a reliable and versatile tool  :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 10:10:03 PM
Very :vader:

:cheers:

And looks like a useful tool too. :D

Thanks Nikola  :salute:

Actually .... I might be able to make it look even more :vader: if I can find red blades for the blade exchanger

>:D :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:16:16 PM by 50ft-trad »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:13 PM
Thanks for those pictures :tu:, now I have a good idea about their relative sizes, very helpful.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 10:17:33 PM
Thanks for those pictures :tu:, now I have a good idea about their relative sizes, very helpful.

Cool  :cheers: Apologies for not being clear enough first time round  :salute:

If anyone else has any queries, please shout up  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56