Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30-Day Victorinox 58mm Group Challenge!

Jothra · 117 · 13545

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
30-Day Victorinox 58mm Group Challenge!
on: January 12, 2015, 08:36:32 AM
     I thought this was an alright idea, so here comes...

The 30-Day Victorinox 58mm Group Challenge!

Here's the deal: I'm already doing an everyday use / torture test on a Victorinox Classic, to see if it is, as has been suggested (mostly by Jothra, which is who I am), it is much more capable than we believe. I started on January 11th, and will continue until February 9th.
     A neat thought (not mine -- thanks, Harley!) was to start a group challenge, and run it alongside mine. I said I would be willing to host exactly that, so here I am.
     This challenge will start January 14th, and end February 12th. I am going to borrow heavily from the Minimalist SAK Challenge, because that looked like it went well.

So, here are the rules, which will, of course, be an honour system dealie:
  • The challenge runs from January 14th through February 12th.
  • You must participate all 30 days (i.e., you can't jump in at the end if you expect to win the prize!)
  • Reply to this thread with the 58mm SAK you will be using. It can be any of them. If you decide to change to another 58mm part of the way through, just let us know when you get there.
  • Admit if you had to use a beefier tool for something. This happens to everybody. There are things 58mm tools just cannot do. It's nothing to be ashamed of, as long as it isn't your default answer to everything.
  • 5) Have fun! Challenge yourself! Challenge your tool!

The Prize
     I admit, this is not as cool a prize as the Spirit from the Minimalist Challenge, but here goes: at the end of the challenge, I'll write a PHP randomizer script (I've already lost my previous one from yesterday) to draw a winner on February 13th. The winner will receive an original, half-page, Sunday-style comic strip featuring their anthropomorphized tool in action, saving the day. I'll ask if there's anything specific you want featured in the comic before I get to work. I will be drawing it by hand, scanning it, and digitally colouring it. You will receive the high-resolution cleaned up black-and-white artwork, high-resolution .PNG, .JPG, and .XCF files, as well as a lower-resolution, smaller-scale files in those same formats for posting anywhere you feel like (or not).
     I'm nerdy. I'm into this kind of thing.
     You will also have the satisfaction of proving yourself a can-do individual.
     Come one! Come all!
     There's fun to be had!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: 30-Day Victorinox 58mm Group Challenge!
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 09:12:37 AM
First: That is an awesome prize :tu:

I will be using an advertisement alox classic (pictures will follow), so I won't feel bad if it breaks. Oh yeah, that means I'm in... how can I not!
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:08 AM
Smurf.

Wonder if I can have a Rambler or Manager here to Afghanistan in two days.

Not a chance in H E double hockey sticks.

Lame.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 12:24:30 PM
Very cool prize.  :salute:  I don't own any 58mm (my kids do but I'm not using theirs) so will be watching from the sidelines.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:44:08 PM
Would a Wenger 65 mm work? Prolly to big huh?

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:48:03 PM
Superb giveaway and prize Jothra :cheers:

Unfortunately I'll not be able to play, as a previous tool challenge limited me far too much, but I will be following this with interest  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:10:23 PM
I'm in please.  I'll carry a Classic SD.

Classic SD.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:15 PM
I won't formally enter the challenge as I must use a box cutter at work, which I feel would exempt a formal participation. I'll follow along this thread and see if I can get away with a Classic SD in non-work world, I'd there is such a place. :D Good luck to those whom are participants though.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 03:16:01 PM
Interesting challenge, and cool prize Jothra :tu:  I will watch from the sidelines though, as I really don't want to only carry a 58mm (even though it likely would be mostly sufficient).  I have a Classic, but it's in storage.  I just remembered that I do have an Alox Minichamp that Stew RAK'ed me with a few months back, which would likely be sufficient with the exception of pliers.  Either way, I'm expected a couple customs this month, and would fail as soon as I had them in hand ;)

Oh, and by the way Jothra:  Will you be pounding your Classic with a hammer like you seem to do to all your other Challenge carries? :pok:  That would be interesting to see >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline getahl

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 10:00:54 PM
I'm in, because I absolutely love my Classic, and use it quite extensively. Can't guarantee I won't use kitchen knives, but for most everything else, the Classic seems to work fine.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:30 PM
No way!  :D  The 58's won't handle farm duties very well and my RA makes anything smaller than 84mm, uncomfortable.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:18:51 PM
 :ahhh  I wouldn't miss it for the world >:D although this would be tough :duel:

Btw, the prize is really cool, totally awesome 8)

The Challenger will be, of course, The MiniChamp, actually the MiniChamps :o just for the convenience of not swapping the scales, like sports teams: home (MiniChamp II), away (Midnite Minichamp), but won't use their scale-tools :o but rather the original MiniChamp's scale-tools, i.e. T&T - all for one, one for all :D
m2.JPG
* m2.JPG (Filesize: 93.21 KB)
mm.JPG
* mm.JPG (Filesize: 102.05 KB)
m1.JPG
* m1.JPG (Filesize: 65.72 KB)
m.JPG
* m.JPG (Filesize: 100.81 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:20:39 PM
I am thinking no way myself. It wont handle farm work or maintenance work. That and I don't own any 58mm. Just a Wenger  65mm.

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:55 PM
So, this is my Classic. Just noticed that its not a SD :ahhh
Maybe I will switch over to a Classic SD, not sure yet.

classic_01.jpg
* classic_01.jpg (Filesize: 212.35 KB)

us Offline getahl

Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 01:41:26 AM
On second thoughts, just for kicks, I think I'll go with my MiniChamp. I carry the Classic very regularly, and the MC almost not at all. I think I'll take this opportunity to get to know my MiniChamp. Pictures to follow.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 02:11:45 AM
I have no will power. I will have to pass on this challenge.

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 07:56:56 AM
What a interesting challenge.
I love my Alox Minichamp. I carry and use it every day and it
covers 98% of my daily needs, but not all. And I'm a knife nut.
30 days only one little friend and no other toys to play  :ahhh
So I pass the challenge but try to use the MC more often  :D

Regards

Markus

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:27 PM
I'm so torn... I really want to give this a shot, and I really want a chance at that one-of-a-kind prize, but I've been carrying LMs for so long that I feel naked without pliers. :-\

on the other hand, this would give me a good excuse to pick up a Rambler, or a Manager, or a MiniChamp... :whistle:

I guess I'd better decide quickly. :facepalm:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 09:34:27 PM
I'm in. I was given a Tropical Juice Classic SD for Christmas so I'll use that. Or my Foxy Classic SD if I fancy a change  :whistle:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 10:17:29 PM
I have decided on the following (hope that this is OK with Jothra). I will use my Classic whenever possible (remember its a non-SD). If I fail I will have a MiniChamp as backup (just to see what those tiny tools can do). Ultimately, I will have a Spirit nearby (also if its an urgent task I will go straight for the Spirit and report it here).

I got an early start, because I had some spare time and felt like it :D

DAY 0: Going full Jothra / Classic vs. Can

So I decided to see if I can open a can with my Classic too. However, I used the blade. As you can see from the image, its not pretty but it worked. What you cannot see is that the edge was completely gone and visual inspection of the edge revealed several nicks. On the upside I would say it took me less than half a minute (yes it was really quick, its also a small can). Oh yeah, I also didn't manage to cut the seam where the can is put together.
I think that loosing its edge is the best thing that could have happened to me. Now I have to learn to sharpen this thing :D.
classicVsCan_01.jpg
* classicVsCan_01.jpg (Filesize: 75.47 KB)
classicVsCan_02.jpg
* classicVsCan_02.jpg (Filesize: 152.79 KB)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:58:10 PM by Etherealicer »

Offline tylosaurus

Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 11:25:10 PM
I'm in.  I took my Fieldmaster out of my pocket, and am only leaving the Manager that is attached to my keys.  I have a feeling the quick detach clip will be used a lot over the next month.

Wow, I already have extra free space in my pocket.  I wonder what I should fill it with. 

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline toddwalla

• ^^Electrician and Tourist
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 05:04:14 AM
I have been thinking about this the last couple of days, and I think I'm gonna play. I have been wanting a Rambler or an Alox Minichamp for awhile, but can't justify the $$$ because my classic or rally sit on my keychain unused in favor of another SAK. I know that the classic is more than capable of handling the majority of day to day tasks, so what the heck. I too will have a backup, a Pioneer (I use the can opener quite often at work and can't bring myself to torture the classic), but I will use the classic first and most often. I started today and having the classic off the keychain and in the pocket has increased its usability dramatically.

Here is my Classic for the next 30 days:

And here it is helping out with some light plumbing:

Good luck everyone!
Looking for a Vic Tourist with a metal HILTI inlay.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 05:54:12 AM
Going to order a Rambler or Manager tonite.

Not part of the challenge so much because it will be half done by the time it gets here and I got to use my MT (Little Boy) almost everyday for work.

Sort of an excuse to buy one and moral support for the rest of you. I will try and do anything I can with the 58 though.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 11:26:50 AM
I thought about getting another 58mm. Just can't do it. I like the Wenger's better. And I don't even carry that one. Best of luck everyone. I have been in three challenges already. I gonna set back and watch this one. Maybe even drink a few cold beers in your guys and gals honour.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 12:00:23 PM
Etherealicer: badass! I didn't think those little blades had it in 'em.
:hatsoff: The blade has many limitations (tiny / weak backspring / tiny / did I mention tiny? ), but its thin and therefore an excellent slicer. Its also pretty easy to re-sharpen.
I would never have thought of using the scissors, they look so fragile...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:01:58 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 06:44:27 PM
DAY 1: Classic vs. Beer

The day started messy. To make fresh juice I had to slice a pomegranate and oranges. The small blade was to short to reach the center of the pomegranate but it didn't matter it came apart easily.

I also used the blade to cut some thick cardboard into shape (needed it to line an envelope to send some CDs to a client). I'm a total beginner when it comes to sharpening, but that thin blade was born to slice :tu:.

Now, I have my Innis & Gunn, opened using the Classic! First, tried to use it as lever but it didn't work (or better: I couldn't do it). I then switched to the car-key-method, where you twist the key (or the nail-file in this case) and it worked like a charm. Like in the video (see my signature) I had to rotate the bottle couple of times.
D01_classicVsPomegranate_01.jpg
* D01_classicVsPomegranate_01.jpg (Filesize: 102.27 KB)
D01_classicVsBeer_01.jpg
* D01_classicVsBeer_01.jpg (Filesize: 126.31 KB)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 07:03:38 PM
I think I'll have to skip this one.  I thought about it for a while, and I probably could get by ok (supplementing with dedicated tools).  By like DTT said, a lot of challenges lately, and I miss getting to choose what I carry :)  But, I'll carry my Manager in addition to whatever else I'm carrying, in keeping with the spirit of the challenge.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 07:20:10 PM
I just realized I managed to post in the wrong thread  :facepalm:

I like this challenge!  :tu:

But as it is everywhere with theory and execution: I totally failed to open a bottle cap with my Classic.  :oops:

I tried to bend the sides outwards with the nailfile. (Does this explanation make sense?)
But there was so much torsional flexing going on and the file did fold three times without bending the cap loose enough. So I decided that the safety of the tool and my fingers was paramount, and used a normal caplifter.  :climber:

I am not sure whether I should call myself a participant, but I try to use my EDC Classic for the next month - Maybe I get some good pictures and stories uploaded at least.

But I stand by my post: I will take this challenge as an inspiration to use my Classic, but I foresee many tasks where I will switch to another tool. But we will all learn, and maybe I manage my next bottle using Etheralicer's method.  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 10:35:24 PM
I've said more than once that I think I could cope at work with a Vic Manager and a LM Mini,which was why I took on the minimalist challenge with an Apprentice.

But to be honest,I want the bigger SAKs to hand,and I can't really face 30 days of not rotating my carry!

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%