Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30-Day Victorinox 58mm Group Challenge!

Jothra · 117 · 13546

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Re: 30-Day Victorinox 58mm Group Challenge!
Reply #90 on: February 01, 2015, 09:52:39 PM
I'm still hanging in there. I'm liking having my classic untangled from my keys, I am not sure I'm going to reattach it when the challenge is over.
:tu:
... of course you won't, you'd attach The MiniChamp >:D

Ha! You're more right than you even know!  :whistle:
:D
 :cheers:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #91 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:07 AM
Nothing exciting to report just all the usual things a Classic is perfectly at home with so I'm still in the challenge. But I must stop reading posts about XLT's - it's not helping at all.  >:D

Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #92 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:00 AM
I'll acknowledge that this challenge has not been too difficult for me, as I almost always carry a 58mm anyway.   >:D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: February 05, 2015, 02:22:26 AM
I'll acknowledge that this challenge has not been too difficult for me, as I almost always carry a 58mm anyway.   >:D

What he said!^^^

My edc for most times is the classic on my keying. It handles 98% of what I need from a pocket knife. Now for some gratuitous 58mm pics! :D

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #94 on: February 05, 2015, 02:24:37 AM
I am sitting here thinking about it and the 58mm has to be the most sold model of knife of all time. I wish their was a way to find out for sure.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: February 05, 2015, 02:59:11 AM
I am sitting here thinking about it and the 58mm has to be the most sold model of knife of all time. I wish their was a way to find out for sure.

It can probably be verified with production numbers.

Several years ago, Knife World magazine had an article on Victorinox. The Victprinox rep being interviewed stated that they made then, 35 million SAK's a year. Yeah, 35,000,000 each year. Of that, they said 9 million of them were the classic alone.

In or about that same year, Blade or Knives Illistrated had a cover photo of the classic, and the inside story on it was the classic was THE most confiscated knife at the TSA checkpoints at airports.

Soooo, if we extrapolate on that data, like we used to say on the police force, we can conclude that if we take the numbers of the classic being made each year, add in the ramblers, managers, minichmaps, we have the most produced little pocket knife in the world.

Footnote; Buckmade a big deal several years ago when they announced that they had made the 7 millionth Buck 110 since they started the model in 1964. No offense to Buck, but that's chicken feed. They made less 110's in 40 years, than Victorinox makes classics in one single year!

Vic ROCK! Especially 58mm"s!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #96 on: February 05, 2015, 03:06:22 AM

Several years ago, Knife World magazine had an article on Victorinox. The Victprinox rep being interviewed stated that they made then, 35 million SAK's a year. Yeah, 35,000,000 each year. Of that, they said 9 million of them were the classic alone.

In or about that same year, Blade or Knives Illistrated had a cover photo of the classic, and the inside story on it was the classic was THE most confiscated knife at the TSA checkpoints at airports.

Soooo, if we extrapolate on that data, like we used to say on the police force, we can conclude that if we take the numbers of the classic being made each year, add in the ramblers, managers, minichmaps, we have the most produced little pocket knife in the world.

Footnote; Buckmade a big deal several years ago when they announced that they had made the 7 millionth Buck 110 since they started the model in 1964. No offense to Buck, but that's chicken feed. They made less 110's in 40 years, than Victorinox makes classics in one single year!

Interesting info there.  :tu:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: February 05, 2015, 08:37:59 AM

Your welcome!

I've long been a champion of the 58's, and I guess by reason of necessity I've found out that they can be pushed pretty far. Living in Washington D.C. one faces a lotos government building restrictions in pocketknives. So over many years, I've taken to just carrying the minimum knife on any 'downtown' trips that mean going through security. I've never had a any problem with the keychain size SAK's, even after 9-11 when they really tightened up security. I put my keys and change in the plastic tray, and when a guard does look at it, they just wave it through. The little SAK's seem to have a innocent look to them, so people don't take them seriously. But the SD tip makes a great staple remover, and the little blade will open boxes, reams of copy paper, cut tape, open blister packages, and trim a broken nail. And if you're on the way to a meeting and stop off at themes room, and notice that stray nose hair, the little scissors snip things well.

All in all, in an urban or suburban environment, the 58mm SAK's are the mighty mites that can do it. It's the little knife that can.

us Offline getahl

Reply #98 on: February 05, 2015, 11:49:49 AM

Your welcome!

I've long been a champion of the 58's, and I guess by reason of necessity I've found out that they can be pushed pretty far. Living in Washington D.C. one faces a lotos government building restrictions in pocketknives. So over many years, I've taken to just carrying the minimum knife on any 'downtown' trips that mean going through security. I've never had a any problem with the keychain size SAK's, even after 9-11 when they really tightened up security. I put my keys and change in the plastic tray, and when a guard does look at it, they just wave it through. The little SAK's seem to have a innocent look to them, so people don't take them seriously. But the SD tip makes a great staple remover, and the little blade will open boxes, reams of copy paper, cut tape, open blister packages, and trim a broken nail. And if you're on the way to a meeting and stop off at themes room, and notice that stray nose hair, the little scissors snip things well.

All in all, in an urban or suburban environment, the 58mm SAK's are the mighty mites that can do it. It's the little knife that can.
I'll second that staple remover bit. The staple remover at the office copier is missing 6 times out of 7. Out comes the Classic...

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #99 on: February 07, 2015, 08:25:22 AM
.... and more than all this the tools do make a satisfying "grown up" snap too which can cheer up an otherwise dull day in the office  :D
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #100 on: February 07, 2015, 09:40:34 AM

Excellent info. Thank you.  :tu:

I'm the milk man!

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #101 on: February 08, 2015, 10:33:13 PM
For 2 years I carried the Mechanic off duty, when I changed jobs in November I started carrying it on duty and I use it all the time. Yesterday I found the challenge and figureed why not, I'm a little late starting but it could be fun anyway.

Yesterday:
Installing trailer lights, stupid challenge! As I got out the Classic then proceeded to strip the wires.
Installing Phillips 10/24 screws, stupid challenge! Got 1 of 3 in went and got a regular #2 Phillips.
Repairing back up lights on a mustang, stupid challenge! Then stripped then wires.
Cutting some cardboard, stupid challenge! Made a crooked crazy cut.
Checking trailer lamps 3 Phillips each lense, reached in pocket felt Classic, stupid challenge went and got a power screwdriver.

Just a few hours into the challenge and I am missing my 91mm
EDC SAK mechanic

98  Gulf  175 mile daily commute Gerber 600
97 C3500 PT510

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #102 on: February 10, 2015, 09:13:48 PM
With a couple more days to go I am counting down the hours until I can legitimately trot around with my Climber, no SwissChamp, no Black Explorer ... etc etc in my pocket. I love my Foxy Classic but it is time for a change ...
FoxyClassic.jpg
* FoxyClassic.jpg (Filesize: 68.7 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #103 on: February 11, 2015, 03:15:04 AM
Well I am pretty sure I want to throw it away, nothing more than my mechanic so I never fall lor this again. I have just stopped using it all together and just carry my tool bag all the time at work.
EDC SAK mechanic

97 C3500 PT510

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #104 on: February 11, 2015, 07:25:41 AM
Well I am pretty sure I want to throw it away, nothing more than my mechanic so I never fall lor this again. I have just stopped using it all together and just carry my tool bag all the time at work.

Don't sugar coat it just tell us how you really feel.  :rofl:

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:06 AM
Well lunch was fun, fried chicken planks cut up with a 58mm.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 28.51 KB)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:53:34 AM by youwillforget »
EDC SAK mechanic

97 C3500 PT510

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 12:40:59 PM
Morning coffee. This batch of packets didn't get the tear tab
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 30.62 KB)
EDC SAK mechanic

97 C3500 PT510

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 10:19:39 PM
Are we nearly there yet ? To be honest, working in an office having to rely on a Classic is hardly a stretch. The biggest challenge has been not automatically reaching for a larger SAK at the weekend when I'm at home and I shall be glad to have that choice back  :climber:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:22 PM
Not much to add... more slicing more dicing... found these awesome classic sized onions :tu:

classic_vs_onions_01.jpg
* classic_vs_onions_01.jpg (Filesize: 125.12 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline toddwalla

• ^^Electrician and Tourist
Reply #109 on: February 13, 2015, 05:27:43 AM
Wait a minute (checks calendar) I did it! We did it!!!
Looking for a Vic Tourist with a metal HILTI inlay.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 08:04:44 PM

Yay !!! SwissChamp yesterday, Jelly Blue Huntsman today heaven only knows what I'll take to the office tomorrow ...  :ahhh
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: February 17, 2015, 01:33:55 AM

Yay !!! SwissChamp yesterday, Jelly Blue Huntsman today heaven only knows what I'll take to the office tomorrow ...  :ahhh

Feels good?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #112 on: February 17, 2015, 10:04:01 PM

Feels good?

Yep. No doubt about it. 91 mil Ranger at the moment but I may change my mind in a minute. Such a relief to have choice again  :D
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:07 PM

Feels good?

Yep. No doubt about it. 91 mil Ranger at the moment but I may change my mind in a minute. Such a relief to have choice again  :D

I hear ya!

It killed me not having that element of choice when we done the minimalist challenge last year! Enjoy wallowing in the options :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #114 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:56 PM

Feels good?

I hear ya!

It killed me not having that element of choice when we done the minimalist challenge last year! Enjoy wallowing in the options :tu:

And Wenger Wednesday ? I don't think I've had a more enjoyable day with my P16S Patagonian Expedition Race either  :2tu:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 01:01:39 AM
Well it will be 2 weeks tomorrow and it sucks, just sucks. I have left my 91mm Mechanic in the car for 2 weeks. 4 days into my 2 weeks I got 2 PST II and 2 C33LX I have had them in the cargo pocket of my work pants for just over 9 days and I have not used them at all as I was trying to stick with only the 58mm for the 2 weeks.

I have learned that the classic is a nice pocket tool but I don't use it hardly at all I just get my tool pouch and use regular tools so it has caused me to stop reaching for my SAK. On the plus side I think I will carry the PST II and C33LX at work and my Mechanic after hours.
EDC SAK mechanic

97 C3500 PT510

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 06:45:58 AM
Man, you guys are impressing the heck out of me. It's been hard enough for me to keep carrying this thing, and I've already established that I have substantially less regard for my overall welfare than the rest of you.

I'm still catching up on the thread, but well done, all.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%