Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OHT-OHGAK issue?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
OHT-OHGAK issue?
on: July 18, 2008, 03:23:44 AM
Lately I've been carrying my OH-GAK clipped to a small carabiner attached to my belt, so that the knife hangs down into my pocket.

Several times lately I've noticed that somehow the blade has opened up slightly while in my pocket, with the tip of the blade being about 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the body of the knife.

So far I haven't cut myself badly, although one time the blade's tip did jab into a finger hard enough to draw a tiny drop of blood.

For several months that I've had a OH-GAK, it's been carried mostly using either a belt sheath or an improvised pocket clip.  Both those methods of carry act to prevent the blade from opening up, so I hadn't noticed that tendency until recently when I began pocket carrying.

Is this issue something that is common with Vic OHTs or is it likely due to a defect in my particular knife?

N

Offline Hoghead

Re: OHT-OHGAK issue?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:39:02 AM
This is the first I've read about this happening with a OTH, but I read about this issue with the Sebenza.

I have a couple of Sebenza's and I've never had this problem. I carry mine clipped in the corner of my pocket so that this can't happen. Just knowing this can happen allows you to avoid it.

I don't have the OTH.

If I were you I would addopt a different carry method. Even if it never happens again you will always wonder and what if you got seriously cut at the most inopportune time.

Threads like this provide very useful information. I'll check back to see how common this is. Thanks ringzero.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:30:24 AM by Hoghead »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:29:29 AM
The discussion has come up in the past regarding a noticeable variance in the 'tightness' of the blade from OHT to another.  The ones I have are fairly tight to open and have very little sideways play at the pivot.  I've not experienced what you're describing, but I've also not carried it in the same manner either.  It sounds like you might possibly have one of the looser ones.  Do you notice any sideways play in the blade pivot when you force it back and forth with your fingers?  Do you feel much resistance in the pivot when you're opening the blade?
- Terry

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:05:22 AM
I carry my OHT in my pocket and never had it open, like NutSak said it must be the blade play you have.
I carry mine tip up (folded of course) in my pocket and never a problem.
Mine has zero play and as stiff as a....dahhh new blade! ;)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 08:42:42 PM
This is the first I've read about this happening with a OTH, but I read about this issue with the Sebenza.

I have a couple of Sebenza's and I've never had this problem. I carry mine clipped in the corner of my pocket so that this can't happen. Just knowing this can happen allows you to avoid it.

Since noticing this issue, I've been situating the carabiner so that the knife hangs down along the right side of my right pocket, with the blade facing right.

That limits how far the blade can come open and makes it less likely that I'll stab myself when reaching down into my pocket.

However, there is a chance that the blade tip will catch the trouser fabric during withdrawal from the pocket - which actually happened one time.

The tip could slice into the fabric and even partially open the knife during withdrawal from the pocket - sort of like an accidental Emerson wave.

If I were you I would addopt a different carry method. Even if it never happens again you will always wonder and what if you got seriously cut at the most inopportune time.

Threads like this provide very useful information. I'll check back to see how common this is. Thanks ringzero.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Hoghead.

You're probably right about adopting a different carry method.

I'm a little dissapointed with Vic for producing a pocket knife susceptible to accidental opening.

What's strange is that this issue doesn't come up that often and I don't know exactly how it happens.

It could be that when reaching down into the pocket to grab something the hand brushes up against the blade just enough to cause partial opening.  Might even be caused by somehow jarring the knife during vigorous movement.  Hard to diagnose because it doesn't happen that often.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:02:27 PM
The discussion has come up in the past regarding a noticeable variance in the 'tightness' of the blade from OHT to another.  The ones I have are fairly tight to open and have very little sideways play at the pivot.  I've not experienced what you're describing, but I've also not carried it in the same manner either.  It sounds like you might possibly have one of the looser ones.  Do you notice any sideways play in the blade pivot when you force it back and forth with your fingers?  Do you feel much resistance in the pivot when you're opening the blade?

Thanks for attempting to diagnose the problem, NutSAK.

With the blade fully open and locked there is some slight sideways play, but nothing I'd call excessive.  The lockup feels fairly solid to me, although perhaps not quite as solid as some of my other locking knives.

Resistance opening the blade using thumb and thumbhole seems typical compared to other knives.

If the tip of the blade is opened just slightly - less than about 1/8 inch - and then released, it will snap closed.

If the tip of the blade is opened a little more - about 1/4 inch - and then released, it will just stay where it is when released.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:21:23 PM
I carry my OHT in my pocket and never had it open, like NutSak said it must be the blade play you have.
I carry mine tip up (folded of course) in my pocket and never a problem.
Mine has zero play and as stiff as a....dahhh new blade! ;)

Thanks for the info, WhichDawg.

Starts to look like my OH-GAK may have come out of the factory a little loose, because I sure haven't used it enough so far to wear it out.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:11:28 PM
Can't say I have ever had that problem either.  :-\  The blade is way too "stiff" for it to open in my pocket.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD