Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rhymes with "Archival Wife"

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Rhymes with "Archival Wife"
on: August 16, 2016, 04:08:53 AM
So, in a moment of sleep deprvied madness, I came across a website called "Surival Life"

For about 2 minutes I was intrigued, and then I decided that these aggresively commerical fruitcakes and I had somewhat different philosophies, and probably would not manage a long standing relationship.

I didn't really want to spruik their website here, but (some) of you lot seem like (semi) coherent gear nuts, and I was wondering on everyone else's view on the site? is it worth filtering through the merchandisng and propaganda, or is it just more ads and fear mongering (to sell stuff), clickbait, and listicles clogging up the internet, and wasting my valuable screen time?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:14:48 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Rhymes with "Archival Wife"
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:21:57 PM
I don't know if I would trust them or not ??? Seems like you would have to filter through a lot of stuff to find any real info :think: Some of their reviews seem questionable to me as well :-\

I only checked the site out because of this thread though ;) :D

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:51:26 AM
In 24 hours I've recieved 4 emails from them  :facepalm:

(One of which is instructions on how to white-list their emails so I don't miss any!)

and all of the "free survival tools" offered still require credit card details (for S&H) and come with the Ultimate Survival Skills book (ebook?) and a Survival Class (whether I want them or not  :ahhh )

I believe, as the kids are saying these days "Yeah, Nah"

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
Thanks, I was going to check them out but not anymore.   :cheers:   :cheers:

Offline Mattexian

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:15:54 AM
They're... okay.  They showed up in my email with an offer for a "tactical pen,"  which seemed like a pretty good price (and I'd thought about getting one, but the only ones around here are the S&W design, which doesn't interest me much).  Their website does seem oriented to selling their stuff (the Hoffman-Richter "tactical" folding knives, flashlights, and aforementioned pen), but their FB feed has some decent tips and tricks for survival,  even if it's recycled stuff. (Most recent I recall is fire-starting with a foil gum wrapper and a AA battery.)

Yeah, they still send me email, and that gets shunted into the spam folder. Latest a couple days ago was for an RFID-blocking wallet (credit card covers, I think), claiming that the new Smartcards the banks are issuing are more vulnerable to passers-by scanning, so it's vitally important to shield your bank cards from these thieves!   Yeaaah, I work at Target, I frequently shop there too, because it's easier than making another stop on the way home, so I've gotten my cards hacked and replaced already, kinda accepted it's gonna happen in this modern world.  I was turned off by the "it's only a penny, just pay S&H!" which adds up to like $10 each, no matter if you bought multiples.  Thank you, no.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 06:07:24 AM
claiming that the new Smartcards the banks are issuing are more vulnerable to passers-by scanning,

the "new" smart cards that the rest of the world has had for a decade but the USA never enforced because small business owners couldn't afford to upgrade their hardware?

(I could have that story wrong, but anyway)

Engineers have a rule*, it goes something like "don't fix a problem with something that will be a problem"**

with a PS of "Even if the dumb masses really really want you to"

Y'all wanted the convenience of cards, you got it,
now y'all upset that you can be robbed and not even notice.

*if they don't, they should.

**Can also be phrased as "Build a better mousetrap, and they'll build a better mouse"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%