Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Leather/Canvass dump pouches.

Aloha · 14 · 1453

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Show off your Leather/Canvass dump pouches.
on: August 29, 2016, 07:19:52 PM
I have been toying with the idea of making one but I lack both skill and well skill  :rofl:

I love the idea of a compact leather flap with canvass pouch as I am fond of leather and have switched my bushcraft/scout/hike kit to leather. 

When I'm out fooling about I like to pick up tinder and stones that I think will make good sparks.  I have been using a gallon zip top bag.  I have been seeing some nice set ups on line but some of the prices are beyond what my frugal mind wants to pay.

Condor and Maxpedition make a nice dump pouch but I'm not digging the materials. 

I really dig this guys set up a lot ( video below ) 

Anyone got one they'd like to show?

https://youtu.be/lXTGUhjEM6g
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Show off your Leather/Canvass dump pouches.
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:35:38 PM
Never have saw one of those until now ??? I really :like: it though :cheers: Be interesting thing to make and have when out and about though :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:38:45 PM
It's definitely more convenient than my zip top bags.  I don't often carry a pack when just out scouting.  Maybe thats the next thing I'll pick up :think:

I am not really a bag person unless I'm out for a day hike.  This is more of a forage sack when out tramping around. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:06:53 PM
Cool idea for a bag  :like:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:17 PM
Interesting concept. I like the idea of it . Not sure I would use it that much if i had it. Have to stew on this a bit.    :think:      :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:50 PM
I like to hunt for fatwood and pine sap crystals when out.  I've also been searching for churt, quartz, or any stone that'll spark.  This pouch would be great to toss those items in.  Packed away it seems to take little space yet quite spacious even for snack or whatever.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:01 PM
I like to hunt for fatwood and pine sap crystals when out.  I've also been searching for churt, quartz, or any stone that'll spark.  This pouch would be great to toss those items in.  Packed away it seems to take little space yet quite spacious even for snack or whatever.   

Agreed!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:23:25 PM
While not as cool as that leather canvas bag. How about a lightweight mesh bag  like these. They come in a few sizes and you could stuff one in an old sheath or back pocket and pull it out and tie it to your belt when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Nylon-Mesh-Stuff-Sack/dp/B008YVDFCW/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=4069Q2N71FWKZPPXWZSQ

or this might be more sturdy

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice-Snorkel-Surface-Purposes/dp/B006UK6VGQ/ref=pd_sim_468_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q6ZJKJJPVBH9XVHYTFM5
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:24:43 PM by SteveC »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:25:24 PM
I have a few things I've tried.  The zip top bags work great but yes not cool looking and well I guess I was after something to compliment my belt kit. 
IMG_1449 copy.jpg
* IMG_1449 copy.jpg (Filesize: 184.32 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:27:38 PM
Red Rhino has one thats really nice but I cannot see myself dropping $50.  Heck both pouches and the belt plus buckle cost much much less  :D.  Think Bushcraft on a budget  :rofl: 
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 10:40:41 PM
Hmm, I would say this would be among the easier projects you could do, drawstring bags are among the things they recommend beginners to start with when sewing. I'm considering making one for myself but I would really like to be able to wash the bag since berries will be among the things I'd use it for.

00 Offline begemotz

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:17 PM
You might consider some variations of a 'no sew' pouch. The design that I have been eyeing is an envelope style one kinda like this:

Or even something like this: http://altamontefamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/how-to-make-no-sew-leather-travel-pouch-1024x1024.jpg

But as Forty-two says below, as far as projects go -- this is one of the easier ones.

I really like this 17th c. purse from Karl Robinson. I think it could easily become a possibles/fire pouch.

More images here: http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/ladies_purses_teardrop_belt_purse.php

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 06:02:01 AM
You might consider some variations of a 'no sew' pouch. The design that I have been eyeing is an envelope style one kinda like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Or even something like this: http://altamontefamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/how-to-make-no-sew-leather-travel-pouch-1024x1024.jpg

But as Forty-two says below, as far as projects go -- this is one of the easier ones.

I really like this 17th c. purse from Karl Robinson. I think it could easily become a possibles/fire pouch.

(Image removed from quote.)

More images here: http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/ladies_purses_teardrop_belt_purse.php

The bottom bag looks very neat and I like all the compartments in it :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 06:59:50 AM
That purse/bag is awesome.  Thanks for posting it. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD