Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

do i really need a spirit in my life ?

Zed · 102 · 7272

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
do i really need a spirit in my life ?
on: January 27, 2015, 10:56:43 AM
Well guys after all these years of trying out different mt's and sak's i think ive found my favourite users,my xe6 lives in my backpack as my uk legal plier based mt and i mainly carry my explorer for daily edc,if ive not got my backpack i carry my swisschamp or handyman.So ive tried out pretty much most mt's and dont really need another one but still keep thinking about the spirit,my all time favourite mt is my lm og wave and the one  judge all other on,after the recent poll i noticed many love the spirit but the lm seemed more popular as a user,so my question is do i really need one in my life  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: do i really need a spirit in my life ?
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:07:38 AM
I don't have an OG Wave but I like my Charge a lot. But if I have to choose its the Spirit.

Sure, you don't have OHO. But you get
- Super beefy flat screwdriver
- Chisle tool
- Comfy pliers
- Compact tool
- Long screwdrivers (especially the Phillips)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:16:21 AM
Yes. :pok:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:17:53 AM
YES YOU NEED A SPIRIT! :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 11:27:48 AM
Paul,yes you do :pok:

I got my first SwissTool from TaxiDad. It just didn't work for him. He then started getting nudge for a Spirit. I sent mine over to him to road test,and he hasn't stopped bitching at me about it since. Like me,it reset what to expect from a MT.

Oh,and he bought Bmots one( and no,he didn't have to go to the basement to get it)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:31:14 AM
Ok, I will be the odd man out. No you do not. SAKs is where Victorinox shines it brightest. A Sak and a LM is a pretty sweet combo. And no I am not calling the Spirit junk.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:43:57 AM
Whether or not you need one in your life, is a decision that only you can make.

.... but you really do need to TRY one ...  :pok: ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:45:30 AM
Im not bothered about oho as it will live in my backpack plus got my wave for that duty  :tu:  ive got plenty of sak options and they pair well with my xe6, im not a collector and due too funds i usually have to trade a mt for another,i do like the looks of the spirit and i did own a swisstool but it wasnt for me,i guess though i need too atleast try a spirit  :think:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:49 AM
You DEFINATELY need a Spirit, although it will sour you for all other multitools. Nothing comes even close in quality, fit&finish and sheer beauty.
I have a shelf full of multies which I use to play around (Surge, SuperTool, SkeleTool, MP400, a throng of saks), but when I need a reliable tool, that will do everything, I find myself taking the Spirit.
After using a Spirit, everything will seem lacking.. you will start seeing rust spots, sharp edges, faulty locks, wobbly pliers, loose blades on everything else...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:45 PM
You DEFINATELY need a Spirit, although it will sour you for all other multitools. Nothing comes even close in quality, fit&finish and sheer beauty.
I have a shelf full of multies which I use to play around (Surge, SuperTool, SkeleTool, MP400, a throng of saks), but when I need a reliable tool, that will do everything, I find myself taking the Spirit.
After using a Spirit, everything will seem lacking.. you will start seeing rust spots, sharp edges, faulty locks, wobbly pliers, loose blades on everything else...

...and to save Kampfer the bother,just don't expect it to sit flat on a table ;)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 12:05:15 PM

...and to save Kampfer the bother,just don't expect it to sit flat on a table ;)

... or for that to matter  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 12:08:39 PM

Hmm, no.

Sorry, but ... no.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:11 AM
Question is Zed, what do you want to hear?

No you don't really NEED a Spirit, but you want one don't you?

Treat yo'self.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:29 PM
I too am a big fan of the G1 Wave, as that's been what I've been carrying for the most part the last several weeks.  I know you can't just carry yours due to the locking blade law over there.  So wouldn't this also apply to a Spirit, or would the butter blade version not be an issue?  Either way, I say go for it :tu:  It is one of my favorites, despite the fact that I don't carry it much.  It almost makes a SAK unnecessary though, as it's pretty much a SAK in plier based MT form, with some extras for more versatility.  At the very least, you should try one out if you have the chance, just to see how you get along with it. 
K-Tibbs

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 02:56:49 PM

There are plenty of flaws in the Spirit (handle misalignment,, blunt nosed pliers, blade play, soft steel tools, slippery grip, odd looks) but none of the tools I've played with or researched is perfect.  The Spirit is, for me at least, better than the others.

It almost makes a SAK unnecessary though, as it's pretty much a SAK in plier based MT form, with some extras for more versatility.

That's the conclusion that I've recently come to as well.  Stick a Classic on your keys and a Spirit in your pocket and you're good to go.  If I didn't like the feel of the Pioneer so much I probably wouldn't bother carrying a SAK at all.

You should at least borrow one to try out for a bit.  I've got one I could loan you if you want.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 05:07:08 PM

There are plenty of flaws in the Spirit (handle misalignment,, blunt nosed pliers, blade play, soft steel tools, slippery grip, odd looks) but none of the tools I've played with or researched is perfect.  The Spirit is, for me at least, better than the others.

It almost makes a SAK unnecessary though, as it's pretty much a SAK in plier based MT form, with some extras for more versatility.

That's the conclusion that I've recently come to as well.  Stick a Classic on your keys and a Spirit in your pocket and you're good to go.  If I didn't like the feel of the Pioneer so much I probably wouldn't bother carrying a SAK at all.

You should at least borrow one to try out for a bit.  I've got one I could loan you if you want.

thanks for the offer mate but kirky is sending me one too look at  :salute:  will be cool too compare to my og wave  :tu: ill get back with my views on it ,thanks wgain kirky  :salute:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 05:10:05 PM
I keep asking myself the same thing and always come back to the same issue of the Spirit's wire cutters not being up to par. Other than that it's a great tool but not exactly UK carry legal is it  ???
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:21 PM
I keep asking myself the same thing and always come back to the same issue of the Spirit's wire cutters not being up to par. Other than that it's a great tool but not exactly UK carry legal is it  ???

no not uk legal,i guess a butter blade doesnt look lethal though,i wish they did a bladeless version  :-\ this is another reason ive not gone for one as my og wave lives in a box under my bed  :-\

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 05:24:21 PM

no not uk legal,i guess a butter blade doesnt look lethal though,i wish they did a bladeless version  :-\ this is another reason ive not gone for one as my og wave lives in a box under my bed  :-\

Without opening the usual can of worms,the Spirit looks a lot less threatening than the currant Wave.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 05:26:30 PM

Without opening the usual can of worms,the Spirit looks a lot less threatening than the currant Wave.
That's a good point. I'm convinced now that you DO indeed need a Spirit :D
SAW

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 05:28:33 PM
thanks for the offer mate but kirky is sending me one too look at  :salute:  will be cool too compare to my og wave  :tu: ill get back with my views on it ,thanks wgain kirky  :salute:

So if you do decide to buy one, we definitely can

Look forward to seeing what you think.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:00 PM
Oh,I'm so ready for the blame on this one!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:36 PM
Nice one Kirk... :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:27 PM

why change a habbit of a lifetime mate  :rofl:

cant wait too handle this  :salute:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 03:29:03 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

Handle misalignment....."flaw" is really stretching it.  It doesn't affect performance at all.
Blunt nose pliers is a plus if you are are a heavy duty pliers user.
Blade play...?  Haven't ever seen that as a flaw.
Soft steel tools.....I'm a pretty hard user and my Spirit has held up as well as any Leatherman in that area.
Slippery grip.....OK, that's legitimate
Odd looks?  Seriously...?  A flaw....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 03:38:31 AM
 :D

I'm the milk man!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 03:58:43 AM
Zed

:twak:

...as that's been what I've been carrying everyday for the last several weeks. 

Fixed

If I didn't like the feel of the Pioneer so much I probably wouldn't bother carrying a SAK at all.

This times eleventy million. I am really loving the feel of my Pioneer, what a great design.

What is this about blade play? Please say it is an issue so I will not have to buy a Spirit.

:facepalm: For this whole thread.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 08:14:06 AM

That's true. It was difficult to persuade myself to leave the Swisschamp behind after decades. But the Spirit has most Swisschamp century proven tools (even the corkscrew!), most of them are more functional (longer tools, more robust prying driver, inline philips and awl, all lockable) and it adds a versatile chisel only Victorinox offers. It is flat to fit where Wave/Charge won't. Where the Wave handles dig in your palm, Spirit is like a lady's skin and with the most ergonomic handles. It opens with gravity, something none of the Leathermans does (they are stiff). It has the better spring system, a Swiss specialty. It is built as a Swiss watch, everything fits perfectly in place and clicks reassuringly. Mine stays flat for what this might worth (nothing?). It plays music for you! The wrench or ratchet option completes it and the only problem is the scissors but not for me anymore, since hiraethus solved it with the custom alox he made for me.
I can't compare it with the Wave, for me it is in the same market section with Juice. It is much better in every respect and it even fits better in pocket, despite the fact that it is bigger.
I don't know if you need it but I know I do and this is the one I EDC. The Swisstool is of the same quality but too big and boxy to be EDCable and ergonomic. With the Spirit they addressed this problem and reached percection. I carried most of my tools and Spirit with Charge TTi and Swisschamp XLT for almost a year. When I had job to do I almost always choose the Spirit instinctively.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 09:33:55 AM
Thanks kkokkolis  :salute:  i dont think i desperately need a spirit but feel i need to see and try one ,and thanks too kirky i will  :tu: i dont pocket edc a plier based mt anymore but backpack carry one,the xe6 fits most my needs and uk legal,yeah isnt a precision mt but works well enough,plus got the diamond file that i love,ill compare the spirit against my og wave and xe6 when it arrives  :salute:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:35:27 AM by Zed »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 10:10:59 AM
What is this about blade play? Please say it is an issue so I will not have to buy a Spirit.

No, it's no big deal.  You should try one. :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD