Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army Knives all models

us Offline rsalek52

• New User
Swiss Army Knives all models
on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:04 AM
Tell us how your Swiss Army knife obsession or collection began; there should be some good stories here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:18:39 AM by rsalek52 »

Offline Jibs182

Re: Swiss Army Knives all models
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:34 AM
I was  a MacGyver fan as a kid. I remember one episode where he used the Orange peeler on an executive model to strip a wire or something. I went to the store that night and bought that knife.  Carried SAKs ever since

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:17:51 AM
found this retched site while looking for Leatherman info. 

well..

guess what happened?   :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:21:01 AM
Had a batch of SAKs and decided to pick up the rest to round out the set. Figured it couldn't be that hard.

Boy, was I mistaken! :D

us Offline BASguy

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:13:06 AM
Never had a Swiss Army knife as a kid or an adult.  Always had pocket knives, but just never needed a SAK as a kid.  When I started my work career in the trades I immediately got an OST and carried that about 6 years, and then an OW for the next 14.  I was gifted a Tinker a few years back and started carrying that as mY weekend pocket knife because I was so impressed with the blades.  Then I found this forum and the world of SAK's opened up.  My disappointment with Leatherman probably fueled that interest.  In any case, the OW has since retired and the Spirit rides in his holster.  The Pioneer calls the pocket home and the Farmer owns the weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 03:23:15 AM
'72-'73  Bought my first Champion....got hooked.
'81-'83  Was a Vic dealer, amassed a large collection.
'06        Lost all but one (a Pioneer) in a wildfire.
'06-'15  Rebuilding my collection.

:climber:  Love them!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:15 AM

'81-'83  Was a Vic dealer, amassed a large collection.

Luuucccky!

As for me I was happy with my Army issued Gerber MP 600 and Spyderco knives.

Then I found MTO and that was all she wrote.

us Offline rsalek52

• New User
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:16 AM
2 yrs. ago I found an old Tinker in the garage which had obviously been abused around the yard and house for real crap jobs. I thought, this is a shame, it was probably a good knife at one time. I then found one on vacation at a hardware store in Cape May, NJ for 20 bucks. In the 2 years since, I have purchased 47 more SAKs and Wengers, all styles and colors, etc. Now bought a display case, and my wife knows it's too far gone to stop now.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 03:47:32 AM
Forgot this part of my reply.

:kirky:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 06:32:04 AM
I am not even sure how I aquired a Wenger Viking as a kid. but that knife cleaned a lot of trout.  I knew even in the 80s that it was way better than those cheap cino knockoffs.

Fast forward to the mid 90s and a friend gifted me a gardener.  Cool Knife

In the early 2000s I picked up a wenger commander for cheap at a yard sale and I loved that knife(I lost the viking years earlier)

Just before the time I joined this forum I found a great sak dealer at the local flea market who had literally hunderds of saks.  I dug through the pile and bought two or 3 each week at 5 bucks a pop starting with a new model Tinker.

The list from him includes a Ranger, Camper, Tinker Deluxe, Cybertool29, Scientist , Yeoman minichamp 1 and 2 and several Wengers

Sadly, he had no 111mm vics or 130mm Wengers.  I didnt start collecting those until I came to this forum

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:52:06 AM
I am not even sure how I aquired a Wenger Viking as a kid. but that knife cleaned a lot of trout.  I knew even in the 80s that it was way better than those cheap cino knockoffs.

Fast forward to the mid 90s and a friend gifted me a gardener.  Cool Knife

In the early 2000s I picked up a wenger commander for cheap at a yard sale and I loved that knife(I lost the viking years earlier)

Just before the time I joined this forum I found a great sak dealer at the local flea market who had literally hunderds of saks.  I dug through the pile and bought two or 3 each week at 5 bucks a pop starting with a new model Tinker.

The list from him includes a Ranger, Camper, Tinker Deluxe, Cybertool29, Scientist , Yeoman minichamp 1 and 2 and several Wengers

Sadly, he had no 111mm vics or 130mm Wengers.  I didnt start collecting those until I came to this forum

$5  :drool:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:42:42 AM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:44:43 AM
Got my first sak when I was 12 a pocket pal, as my pocket money
Wouldn't stretch to a swisschamp, which to me as a child was magical n that's what started my interest and I've carried one sak or another everyday ever since.

Weasel

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:47:52 PM
Always thought they were great devices; finally got one (Wenger 85mm) from my father as a kid decades ago. Ended up in Switzerland a few years ago, so got a second one, in this fascinating larger size (130mm Wenger).

Then in 2012, I found myself staring at online catalogues and how cool and beautiful all these different models were, particularly from Victorinox. Found myself getting hold of a variety of Victorinox sizes and tools...

It just got worse from there... starting off on the voyage to find the perfect knife, before realising each one has it's own character and beauty; and different knives suit different situations... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

us Offline GaAAlcantara

Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 01:27:14 PM
My dad gave me a leatherman and a climber as a kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 05:21:48 PM
Always loved the little red knives, but I got so many Chinese junk, they put me off saks.
Than one and half years ago I saw some trapped in a customs bin and I asked my girlfriend (now my wife) to get me a proper, full-sized one (a Tinker). Fell in love at first touch.. rest is history...

That I met you nutcases, found some guy that was selling batches of seized saks for 2,5 Euros each... aaand i have 50+ saks now with some plier-based as bonus...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 06:23:26 PM
I doubt I was even 10 years old yet and I received my first Hoffritz Swiss Champ & SOS kit for Christmas. I was in awe over this knife. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I still feel this way about the SC and CT41 to this day. They really are amazing knives :drool:
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:11:00 PM
I got my first two bladed knife, something like a Secretary, from my grandfather when I was 6 or 7. Lost that one playing in the woods near my house. :cry: Got a few knockoffs during the years after.

I bought my first real SAK with my birthday money when I was 12 or 13, a Wenger Commander, then traded a Zippo for a Wenger Forester when I was 16 and carried that one for 12 years. Loved that thing. (You might notice I still tend to swing towards the Wengers ;) )

When I joined here I had about half a dozen SAKs and 2 multitools. It kind of skyrocketed after that. :oops:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44