Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

do i really need a spirit in my life ?

Zed · 102 · 7194

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: do i really need a spirit in my life ?
Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:07 AM

It almost makes a SAK unnecessary though, as it's pretty much a SAK in plier based MT form, with some extras for more versatility.

That's true. It was difficult to persuade myself to leave the Swisschamp behind after decades. But the Spirit has most Swisschamp century proven tools (even the corkscrew!), most of them are more functional (longer tools, more robust prying driver, inline philips and awl, all lockable) and it adds a versatile chisel only Victorinox offers. It is flat to fit where Wave/Charge won't. Where the Wave handles dig in your palm, Spirit is like a lady's skin and with the most ergonomic handles. It opens with gravity, something none of the Leathermans does (they are stiff). It has the better spring system, a Swiss specialty. It is built as a Swiss watch, everything fits perfectly in place and clicks reassuringly. Mine stays flat for what this might worth (nothing?). It plays music for you! The wrench or ratchet option completes it and the only problem is the scissors but not for me anymore, since hiraethus solved it with the custom alox he made for me.
I can't compare it with the Wave, for me it is in the same market section with Juice. It is much better in every respect and it even fits better in pocket, despite the fact that it is bigger.
I don't know if you need it but I know I do and this is the one I EDC. The Swisstool is of the same quality but too big and boxy to be EDCable and ergonomic. With the Spirit they addressed this problem and reached percection. I carried most of my tools and Spirit with Charge TTi and Swisschamp XLT for almost a year. When I had job to do I almost always choose the Spirit instinctively.

But the Spirit doesn't have a fish scaler :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 11:15:24 AM
You can use the saw.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:30 AM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 12:30:57 PM
You can use the saw.

Not on olives >:D

The in-line awl is the work-around solution for olive retrieval.   :)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 01:00:49 PM
We use our fingers here and nobody on earth has better olives to know better.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 01:11:38 PM

There are plenty of flaws in the Spirit (handle misalignment,, blunt nosed pliers, blade play, soft steel tools, slippery grip, odd looks) but none of the tools I've played with or researched is perfect.  The Spirit is, for me at least, better than the others.

[/quote]

Handle misalignment....."flaw" is really stretching it.  It doesn't affect performance at all.
Blunt nose pliers is a plus if you are are a heavy duty pliers user.
Blade play...?  Haven't ever seen that as a flaw.
Soft steel tools.....I'm a pretty hard user and my Spirit has held up as well as any Leatherman in that area.
Slippery grip.....OK, that's legitimate
Odd looks?  Seriously...?  A flaw....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Handle misalignment is a flaw. Granted the tool still works. That flaw is right up there with LMs plier head scratching. Does not affect performance but still a flaw.
Blade play seems to on some. My Spirit had it. So did one of my Waves. Easy fixes. Tighten the wave and smack the Spirit with a hammer. No big deal.

It all boils down to what you like.

Nate
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 01:23:02 PM
@kkokkilolis, what are you talking about the Spirit open with gravity and the LM does not. You lost me there. Are you talking about the pliers?

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 01:59:38 PM
Yes.
My Surge is somewhat loose and opens (Juice too) but Skeletool and Charge don't. It helps when working to just let one scale drop and the pliers open this way. Both Vics open as if they where meant too (without being loose any other way).

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:24 PM
Handle misalignment is a flaw. Granted the tool still works. That flaw is right up there with LMs plier head scratching. Does not affect performance but still a flaw.
Blade play seems to on some. My Spirit had it. So did one of my Waves. Easy fixes. Tighten the wave and smack the Spirit with a hammer. No big deal.

Nate

A misalignment with the tongs by the handle length is increased proportionally. This offset is caused by the tolerances you can achive with casting of the plier jaws. To after treat the jaws or individually spacer the handles would through them out of market price ballpark.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:04:47 PM by Mextreme »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:23 PM
Maybe. Still flaws. Luckily for me, they don't bother me to much. I scratch and twist them more on the first day of use than the the flaws will ever cause. And let's face it. They are tools. Use 'em.

Nate
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:05:14 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:14 PM
Maybe. Still flaws. Luckily for me, they don't bother me to much. I scratch and twist them more on the first day of use than the the flaws will ever cause. And let's face it. They are tools. Use 'em.

Nate

I wouldn't define it a flaw. Same with the scuffing on the Charge heads. I'd say they were characteristics of the tools rather than flaws.

To me flaws are when an individual component has a specific defect, or when it is designed to do one thing, but doesn't ... and I seriously doubt that sitting flat on a table was ever in the design brief. That's just something that some of us tool geeks obsess about, like how central a blade sits on a folding knife in the closed position. If it's not fouling the liners, it's fine. If it's close to but not touching one side, is that a flaw? Not in my book. The way the Griptillian clips sit slightly askew to the curvature of the handle scale - is every single one flawed or is that just how they are?

A flaw is a manufacturing/functional fault, not a non-conformance to what we as users dreamed up afterwards. If you start playing that game, every inboard Leatherman is flawed because the blades and saw are orientated the "wrong way", every MP600 is flawed because of the length of the drivers, and every off-the-shelf 93mm alox SAK is flawed because it doesn't have scissors.

Examples:
The Juice saw diving to the wrong side of the awl on stowage, or the Juice scissors catching on the scales and having to be pushed home ... I might consider those flaws, because the designed action of the tool isn't working and the user has to intervene to compensate/override. The Juice bitey drivers on the other hand ... a characteristic.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 04:45:03 PM
Yeah that makes sense. Good points.

OMG! I just agreed with Trad!
Is that a flaw? LMOA! Well he did agree with me a couple times.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:56 PM
You can use the saw.

Not on olives >:D
Seems like this would be a good companion for the Spirit :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 05:00:36 PM
Yeah that makes sense. Good points.

OMG! I just agreed with Trad!
Is that a flaw? LMOA! Well he did agree with me a couple times.

Nate

:D :D

If people don't like these various characteristic of tools, that's completely fine - we all have different tastes. It's when people start griping about QC and saying these are aspects of a tool which mean they should never be allowed out of the factory that gets my back up. It's totally wrong!

I don't like the way the handles on a ST300 or Surge sit so far apart, but that's the design of the tool. I dare say that if I sat and worked through a huge batch of them, I'd find variations between the actual splay. That doesn't mean I'm entitled to send them back as "defective" and demand another with closer handles  ::)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:33 PM
There are plenty of flaws in the Spirit (handle misalignment,, blunt nosed pliers, blade play, soft steel tools, slippery grip, odd looks) but none of the tools I've played with or researched is perfect.  The Spirit is, for me at least, better than the others.
handle misalignment - meh... only noticed after you guys pointed it out and still I don't care, it doesn't affect functionality and it doesn't feel bad in hand
blunt nosed pliers - to each his own. I sometimes miss the SuperTool needlenoses but the Spirit pliers are strong, easy to grip and more versatile
blade play - what? My Spirit locks perfectly everywhere. I't's the LMs and Gerbers that rattle and shake.
soft steel tools - could be. never really abused mine.. only semi-abused her, but nothing broke or got dented. also it really really rustproof
slippery grip - I'll give you that one. I don't mind it much personally, but if you have sweaty hands or work near water, a Spirit might be unsuitable
odd looks - seriously? To me it is the most beautiful thing to ever unfold to a plier.

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Amedio

Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 05:13:31 PM

Nate

A misalignment with the tongs by the handle length is increased proportionally. This offset is caused by the tolerances you can achive with casting of the plier jaws. To after treat the jaws or individually spacer the handles would through them out of market price ballpark.

I think the misalignment is not a tolerance problem. The cast should not be a problem, they are machined after casting and the machining tolerances are much tighter than casting. All spirits I have checked sit flat on a table when opened (opened to use the pliers) and wobble when closed. If it was a tolerance problem, chances are some of them would wobble when opened too.

I think the misalignment is deliberated, but I don't know the reason. In the "Bad Swisstool Spirit?" thread you can find different theories, this is my guess:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47468.msg1025724.html#msg1025724

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 05:57:16 PM

Nate

I think what you say, has to do with expectations. You expect more and percive everything else as a flaw.
However if it is within the procuct specification of the tool it is not a flaw. They surely have very detailed requirment specifications and tests of the tools´ all aspects. Products that fall outside this is have one ore several flaws. Victorinox clearly says this issue is within their specification and is not a flaw.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 06:16:23 PM
So if LM said that the scratching of the pliers head is when spec, it is not a flaw. Yeah........
I like Trad's take on it better.
Also for the record, I don't think the spirit is junk. While Trad and I like to take fun jabs at each other, the Swiss Spirit is a fine tool. I tend to like my Surges and SOGs. But that is me.
Nate
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:19:18 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 06:22:48 PM
The rubbing of the pliers doesn't bother me in the slightest. The diamond file rubbing on the scales on wave, charge, surge however ... :rant:

I was hoping they'd change that with the new surge but alas it's still there.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 06:50:15 PM
The rubbing of the pliers doesn't bother me in the slightest. The diamond file rubbing on the scales on wave, charge, surge however ... :rant:

I was hoping they'd change that with the new surge but alas it's still there.
You and me both. It is the one thing that does kinda bother me.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 09:00:17 PM

Nate

I think the misalignment is not a tolerance problem. The cast should not be a problem, they are machined after casting and the machining tolerances are much tighter than casting. All spirits I have checked sit flat on a table when opened (opened to use the pliers) and wobble when closed. If it was a tolerance problem, chances are some of them would wobble when opened too.

I think the misalignment is deliberated, but I don't know the reason. In the "Bad Swisstool Spirit?" thread you can find different theories, this is my guess:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47468.msg1025724.html#msg1025724

The tolerance problem is how Robert Elsener, quality manager at Victorinox described it  in a German forum he is active in. He normally seem very honest. He is also active in the Victorinox collector´s Facebook group, which is english, if you want to ask him more details.:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAKCollectors/
Here is Mr. Elsener:
https://www.facebook.com/robert.elsener?fref=ts
He always answers if you send him a p.m.
It was also necessary to pair individual handles with plier heads because of corresponiding tolerances to minimize the problem.
He also wrote it is not a flaw but within the spec they work and has no importance whatsoever for a user.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:04:14 PM by Mextreme »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 10:24:46 PM
Regarding "misalignment" (or "offset design") I believe we are searching for a needle in the straw as we say here (and without a magnet or metal detector). Spirit is a masterpiece, a work of art. Not everyone likes art of course.

ca Offline Amedio

Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 12:44:04 AM
The tolerance problem is how Robert Elsener, quality manager at Victorinox described it  in a German forum he is active in. He normally seem very honest. He is also active in the Victorinox collector´s Facebook group, which is english, if you want to ask him more details.:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAKCollectors/
Here is Mr. Elsener:
https://www.facebook.com/robert.elsener?fref=ts
He always answers if you send him a p.m.
It was also necessary to pair individual handles with plier heads because of corresponiding tolerances to minimize the problem.
He also wrote it is not a flaw but within the spec they work and has no importance whatsoever for a user.

I he said so I am obviously wrong, but it is surprising that the misalignment affects only on one position.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 12:46:51 AM
Regarding "misalignment" (or "offset design") I believe we are searching for a needle in the straw as we say here (and without a magnet or metal detector). Spirit is a masterpiece, a work of art. Not everyone likes art of course.
Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline BASguy

do i really need a spirit in my life ?
Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 03:00:55 AM
LOL...... Spirit is an amazing tool.  If this kind of thing is its biggest "flaw" I don't think we have to much to worry about
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:07:21 AM by s2mason »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 03:11:52 AM
Lol!
True enough.
Nate
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:16:35 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 05:45:02 AM
I need a spirit.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 05:48:05 AM
I have one on the way :)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 05:48:45 AM
Hard to find one on sale. :shrug:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 05:49:40 AM

Hard to find one on sale. :shrug:

I picked up mine from a member on here, lucked out that way.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%