Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

do i really need a spirit in my life ?

Zed · 102 · 7253

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: do i really need a spirit in my life ?
Reply #60 on: January 30, 2015, 05:52:39 AM

I have one on the way :)
Hard to find one on sale. :shrug:

I picked up mine from a member on here, lucked out that way.
That is the Spirit!  :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: January 30, 2015, 05:53:56 AM

I have one on the way :)
Hard to find one on sale. :shrug:

I picked up mine from a member on here, lucked out that way.
That is the Spirit!  :tu:
I've got Spirit! ...almost...

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #62 on: January 30, 2015, 06:21:50 AM
So I just got on Amazon to check out a Spirit. No intention to buy one I swear.

Good thing there is some kind of issue with Amazon at the moment or I would have prolly bought one. Not sure what is wrong, maybe a misprint or typos but they are showing 90 dollars for one.

Will see about getting one once they get the error sorted.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 08:38:28 AM
It is not a cheap tool in America, the X model cost even more, why? :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 02:41:09 PM
Wow, they really aren't cheap now.  I got mine on Amazon for $55, but that was about 2.5 years ago.
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 02:43:08 PM
Whilst there are many positive things about a Spirit, the useless wire cuters let it down far too much for me.
Then add in pliers that are too fat to use for things I can use Leatherman pliers for and I'm never going to carry it.

If they put a Leatherman shaped plier head in I'd be much more likely to carry it, but I prefer Leatherman tools too. Fit and finish of the Spirit, tools of a Leatherman, outside opening and ergonomics of a Spirit (but with handle closeness of an MP600), I'd like that.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #66 on: January 31, 2015, 03:29:49 PM
Yeah, stranded wire is where the Spirit is at a disadvantage. The scissors (assuming you haven't got an S model) will save the day, but that's hardly a solution if you're cutting large-ish stranded wire with any frequency. The only other thing I've found that the pliers can't do that a LM typically can is "pretend" to be a panel key. I have opened a few (older) electrical panels in the past with a LM or Gerber to reset a breaker, by having the points of the pliers wide enough to engage and turn the lock. Only worked on some panels though.

I still like the Spirit's tools though, and can't think of any I'd really like to see replaced (other than maybe the scissors with standard Vic ones)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 31, 2015, 05:13:59 PM
Yeah, stranded wire is where the Spirit is at a disadvantage. The scissors (assuming you haven't got an S model) will save the day, but that's hardly a solution if you're cutting large-ish stranded wire with any frequency.

Which I am. That reminds me, I've been meaning to take the replaceable bits out of my wire cutters to see if I can sharpen them to make cutting easier.

The only other thing I've found that the pliers can't do that a LM typically can is "pretend" to be a panel key. I have opened a few (older) electrical panels in the past with a LM or Gerber to reset a breaker, by having the points of the pliers wide enough to engage and turn the lock. Only worked on some panels though.

I do that all the time. I don't carry a panel key round with me, but I have lots of panels round the place that need opening.

I still like the Spirit's tools though, and can't think of any I'd really like to see replaced (other than maybe the scissors with standard Vic ones)

I do like the Vic tools and it's a good selection. I think I prefer the Leatherman ones (selection of the Spirit, materials of the Leatherman: my Spirit Phillips driver is more damaged with less work than any Leatherman one I have) but have no problem with the Vic ones. For some reason I think I prefer Wave scissors to 91mm SAK ones, but they're both much better than the Spirit ones which are in turn much better than SOG ones.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #68 on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:27 PM

Yeah, stranded wire is where the Spirit is at a disadvantage. The scissors (assuming you haven't got an S model) will save the day, but that's hardly a solution if you're cutting large-ish stranded wire with any frequency. The only other thing I've found that the pliers can't do that a LM typically can is "pretend" to be a panel key. I have opened a few (older) electrical panels in the past with a LM or Gerber to reset a breaker, by having the points of the pliers wide enough to engage and turn the lock. Only worked on some panels though.

I work on electrical controls all day, every day, and carry a Spirit on my hip.  It's a great tool for so many things you run into when your not lugging your tool bag around.  With that being said, when I'm stripping stranded wire I'm gonna be using a proper wire stripper.....always.  No multi tool is made for precision electrical work.  The Leatherman ES in my pocket gets the occasional call to arms in an emergency situation, but it's not something I'd use if I had any other choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: February 02, 2015, 01:19:48 PM
Well the spirit that kirkys lent me has arrived,i love this site and its members  :salute: so far ive just been admiring it and fiddling with its tools ,so far im very impressed with the look and feel of the spirit,plus its a good pocket sized plier based mt, now too test it out  :tu: ill update as i try it out  :salute:

thanks again kirky,oh its all your fault you know  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: February 02, 2015, 01:21:22 PM
 >:D >:D >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: February 02, 2015, 01:34:02 PM

:D too be honest,since mainly carrying a sak,ive got use to vics quality, the og wave was my first plier based mt,although ive tried many lm's,sogs,gerber etc,i had a swisstool but found it bulky,but did love the way it worked,the spirit has all the tools i like and more,plus its compact,and its defently a looker  :D i do like the look of the chisel/wire stripper tool,i look forward too trying this out  :salute:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #72 on: February 02, 2015, 02:22:37 PM

:D too be honest,since mainly carrying a sak,ive got use to vics quality, the og wave was my first plier based mt,although ive tried many lm's,sogs,gerber etc,i had a swisstool but found it bulky,but did love the way it worked,the spirit has all the tools i like and more,plus its compact,and its defently a looker  :D i do like the look of the chisel/wire stripper tool,i look forward too trying this out  :salute:

Look, all we want to know is..... does it sit flat on the table?  :facepalm:

joking aside, I'm interested to know what you reckon to it. Having only ever had a Spirit I can't imagine looking at anything else except a full sized Swisstool. The quality seems head and shoulders above everything else.

No disrespect to LM/SOG/Gerber etc fans out there.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:11 PM

Look, all we want to know is..... does it sit flat on the table?  :facepalm:

joking aside, I'm interested to know what you reckon to it. Having only ever had a Spirit I can't imagine looking at anything else except a full sized Swisstool. The quality seems head and shoulders above everything else.

No disrespect to LM/SOG/Gerber etc fans out there.

lol,its flatish,but im use to the waves rattle so this is nothing in comparison,time will tell  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: February 02, 2015, 04:32:39 PM
Kirkys spirit paired with my farmer  :tu:
IMG_20150202_152538.jpg
* IMG_20150202_152538.jpg (Filesize: 125.93 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #75 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:01 PM

You can saw 2 things at once!

Or saw one thing and file another...

Or saw something while you open a can

Open 2 cans at once - dinner and pudding

Hack one thing to pieces while repairing another entirely different thing....

unscrew/screw up 2 things at once

Shall I stop now?  :facepalm:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:45 PM
 :rofl: i get the point  :D or I could use both awls as corn on the cob skewers  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: February 02, 2015, 05:05:32 PM
:rofl: i get the point  :D or I could use both awls as corn on the cob skewers  :D

Neat!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015, 04:05:42 AM

You can saw 2 things at once!

Or saw one thing and file another...

Or saw something while you open a can

Open 2 cans at once - dinner and pudding

Hack one thing to pieces while repairing another entirely different thing....

unscrew/screw up 2 things at once

Shall I stop now?  :facepalm:

No please continue.

Offline bitterchan

Reply #79 on: February 03, 2015, 12:26:21 PM
I didn't "need" a spirit, but I'm definitely enjoying it. Can't seem to put it down or go anywhere without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 01:52:34 PM
So how are you liking it Zed?

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:59 AM

Nate

well nate i dont like it  ::) ok i love it  :D ive no need for oho anymore ,my og wave lives in a box these days ,and although the spirit has a locking blade (not uk friendly) its a much less lethal looking blade,now the big $100 question, would i swap it for a wave, :think: ive still not decided that,but would i carry one daily,the answer is definitely, the other appeal is its much slimmer than the wave and xe6, i would miss the diamond file but the spirit makes up for that in other ways,for me the wave more than does the job and has done for me since 98,but the spirit does it with more style and finesse, basically im sold  :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #82 on: February 04, 2015, 09:56:04 AM
Cool! Glad you like.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #83 on: February 04, 2015, 09:56:37 AM
Come to the dark side, we have Spirits...........

Glad to hear you like it and are finding it useful.

Mine is propping up my wobbly table at home - it's perfect flatness is just right.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:47 AM

Mine is propping up my wobbly table at home - it's perfect flatness is just right.

:rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #85 on: February 04, 2015, 03:04:45 PM
Glad you're enjoying it Zed :tu:  I'm always torn when it comes to the Spirit vs my other favorite MTs.  The Spirit is just about perfect for me, with the exception of the pliers.  That is probably the main factor that keeps it from getting more carry time than it normally does.  It shouldn't really be though, because I don't use pliers much, but when I do, I usually need a more needle-nosed tip than the Spirit provides.  The only other factor really is the lack of OHO blades, but that's more of a convenience to me than a necessity.  Still, overall it is one of the most versatile MTs I can think of :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #86 on: February 04, 2015, 08:41:29 PM

:facepalm:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #87 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:16 AM

Nate

well nate i dont like it  ::) ok i love it  :D ive no need for oho anymore ,my og wave lives in a box these days ,and although the spirit has a locking blade (not uk friendly) its a much less lethal looking blade,now the big $100 question, would i swap it for a wave, :think: ive still not decided that,but would i carry one daily,the answer is definitely, the other appeal is its much slimmer than the wave and xe6, i would miss the diamond file but the spirit makes up for that in other ways,for me the wave more than does the job and has done for me since 98,but the spirit does it with more style and finesse, basically im sold  :D

I recently retired my OGW for a Spirit.... No going back

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: February 05, 2015, 09:32:39 AM

Nate

I recently retired my OGW for a Spirit.... No going back

That's a big endorsement :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: February 05, 2015, 09:46:58 AM

my og wave is pretty much retired these days,the xe6 is ok but bulky,the spirit is sooo shinny :tu:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:50:24 AM by Zed »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD