Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WTB: Schrade/Vice Grip ST6

Offline farmdog

WTB: Schrade/Vice Grip ST6
on: July 19, 2008, 03:30:58 PM

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST6+Tough+Grip

Haven't been able to find these in several years, and it was the tool that really "fit my hand". I am particularly looking for the needle nose version. Looking for  any quantity: would buy a lot if it were available.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: WTB: Schrade/Vice Grip ST6
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:50:03 PM
WSelcome to the forum farmdog :salute:

I have never seen that one :o great a new tool I'll have to add to my list ;) I didn't know Vise Grips went in with Schrade and built that nice looking Locking Plier MT :drool: Yeah I want one 2 :gimme:  anybody? :D Farmdog has 1st dibs though :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:48:28 PM
As with any Schrade model, make sure to check the age on any of these tools before buying them.  Now that Schrade is owned by the cheap buggers at Taylor Cutlery (yes, I'm calling you smurfs at TC out again!) they are manufactured in China, by underskilled laborers out of inferior materials and on outdated machinery.  Long story short, the new ones are not worth the money you'd spend on gas to drive to your local Wal Mart to get one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline farmdog

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:06:47 PM
The ViceGrip version was superb: the needle nose were perfect for gripping 1/2 & 9/16 bolts, locking serrated blade, smooth blade with wire stripper, and a driver that accepted screwdriver bits. Unfortunately it was topheavy, and both of the pair I owned bounced out of their holder...somewhere  :cry:.

I've been watching on Ebay for over a year with no luck, but there have to be some tucked away somewhere!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:02:37 AM
Good luck with the search mate, and welcome to the forum :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 02:34:22 PM
Welcome Farmdog, we'll keep a watch out for you :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline farmdog

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:53:32 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I've been lurking the forums a while...lots of interesting ideas to pick up here. What my old neighbor told me is true: "no tool fits two men's hands the same".

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:47:48 PM
I have one of those and like it reasonably well when doing construction. One warning, my Vise-Grip tends to release somewhat easily since V-G had to eliminate the release lever to get the tools onto the handle. They rounded the tab which catches on the set screw so that you could disengage the tool jaws without the lever. I touched mine up with a Dremel and it's much better now. If I can get by my local K-Mart, I believe they had some of those old stock (they sold me mine for $10 US during a knife clearance two years back!). I'll try to post back ASAP.

Regards, Bill.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:49:19 PM by Biru »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:28:01 AM
If they have two, please let me know!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 05:27:26 AM
It'll be my pleasure. A while back I noticed they had a few of the US Schradetools at regular price. The Vice-Grips were on blowout but apparently no one was taking. This store (I worked for them a bit around Christmas) has poor inventory control so older items occasionally crop up. Unfortunately, their pricing is also a bit erratic (mostly unreasonabe, sometimes pleasingly low). I'll try to get by there tomorrow.

Thanks, Bill.

Offline farmdog

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 06:59:42 PM
Excellent; I'll check Kmarts here too; one place I hadn't checked yet.

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:02:01 PM
I'm very sorry, guys. I dropped by the Kmart where I purchased mine and the Vice-Grip models as well as the American-made Schrades were all gone. They are carrying the import Schradetools and the import models of Kmart's standard multitools (Outdoor Life or some such thing). I have to take my niece out of town to the orthodontist next week and will try the Kmart there. The K there has had management troubles and so may have some old stock. Again, my apologies. Perhaps I'll turn a couple up at a local hardware store or something.

Bill.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 01:25:56 AM
Nothing to apologize Bill- it certainly isn't your fault! :D

I figure it's an opportunity thing- if you have the opportunity, I'd love to get one.  If not, I am no worse off than I was before!

Def

Offline farmdog

Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:49:16 PM
I was able to check my nearest Kmart yesterday: no luck here either. Thanks, Biru!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 03:45:39 PM
I see one of the big-mouth versions listed on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vise-Grip-Schrade-Toolbox-Multi-tool_W0QQitemZ190239764923QQihZ009QQcategoryZ82253QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't care for that one so much though. It is really to large for regular carry. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline farmdog

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 02:12:06 AM
That one came up on my eBay "saved search". I never quite understood what the big jaw was for...pipes? I was always in hopes they would come out with a v-jaw version...the vice grip specialty that grips hex nuts.

Thanks for keeping an eye out J-sews!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 05:09:04 AM
That one came up on my eBay "saved search". I never quite understood what the big jaw was for...pipes? I was always in hopes they would come out with a v-jaw version...the vice grip specialty that grips hex nuts.

Thanks for keeping an eye out J-sews!

Yah, I guess that big-mouth version is for pipes.

I've never used the regular vise-grip v-jaw model before. It seems like it wouldn't be good for anything else but nuts. :-\

Offline farmdog

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 03:59:44 PM
That's true, not good for anything but nuts... 90% of my use is to quick hold the end of a bolt while I tighten the nut with a wrench. My current EDC is a pair of slip-joint pliers with 1/2" and 9/16" box ends welded to the handles. If I could add a lock blade and 3/4" end ...

I'm afraid I'm going to end up one of those guys who buys $8500 worth of toolmaking machines to custom-make the tool I really want to carry, all because I lost a $26 vice grip! :oops:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 11:04:59 PM
Well if you do have to, you could probably sell a few here to reduce the costs a little.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline farmdog

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 04:35:05 AM
Step 1: I printed off the enrollment forms for  a "Basic Machining" night class today...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 04:44:48 AM
You'll be shopping for a lathe and a Bridgeport for your garage soon Farmboy ;)

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 06:18:39 PM
Schrade Vise Grip 5WR Tool box posted in EDC Swap Shop forum

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86