Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Vic Rescue tool 3149

Hero Member Posts: 767 "What is the riddle of steel?"
Vic Rescue tool
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
Used the Belt cutter at work today after carrying it for just a few days. Worked ok. Can't say it was that much better than any serrated blade I've used. Had to put the seatbelt under tension to cut it. But no big deal. Got the guy out ok. Might go back to the Spyderco for a while.

Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman
Sr. Member Posts: 318
Re: Vic Rescue tool
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
I've always wondered how the Rescue Tool would work "in the real world". I've had one in my car for 2 years and thankfully haven't had an occasion to use it.

Dave

I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...
Sr. Member Posts: 434 Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »
works good, but do not expect a miracle..
No Life Club Posts: 4,725 You don't want to see me SMURF!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:52:04 PM »
I wouldn't imagine it would be any "better" than regular serrated blade, just safer to use without cutting/poking yourself :think:

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Completely Random Smurf with Aleph

Missing pics because of Smurfbucket? Check out Aleph's Pic Repost Thread - Smurf Off Smurfbucket
Jr. Member Posts: 91
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:59 AM »
I have carried one for work for a while and I like it but it could be better. Another thing I would like to see is a better glass breaker, the one it has is ok at best, tend to use the carbide one on my leatherman raptors more. I would also have liked to see an O2 wrench on the tool but no dice  :(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:30:23 AM by ace19636 »
OCD Squad Leader Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 10,408
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
I have carried one for work for a while and I like it but it could be better. Another thing I would like to see is a better glass breaker, the one it has is ok at best, tend to use the carbide one on my leatherman raptors more. I would also have liked to see an O2 wrench on the tool but no dice  :(
The O2 wrench might not be something used internationally. But you could combine the RescueTool with a Benchmade Rescue Hook. The two have very little redundancies between them.

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
Jr. Member Posts: 91
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:30:03 AM »
The O2 wrench might not be something used internationally. But you could combine the RescueTool with a Benchmade Rescue Hook. The two have very little redundancies between them.
I tend to leave it at home lately to be honest, my LM raptor has the carbide glass breaker I like, it has a hook cutter which to me is better then a serrated rescue blade as well as an 02 wrench not to mention they are shears. For the price there are a lot of better options, I want to love it because of how much of a SAK fan I am but I just can not dig it. Heck for less then Half the price you can get a LM Z-rex which can do everything you need to self rescue from a vehicle. If you like it then Im not going to tell you not to buy It, I just can not recomend it with my experince :ahhh
Newbie Posts: 15
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
I used my Vic Tool to cut the shirt off a bloke the other day to get defib pads on him.
It worked very well and safely. The glass breaker is something that I wouldn't use much outside of training days.
Full Member Posts: 159
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 04:00:59 AM »
I can appreciate the comments about the perceived deficiencies of the SAK Rescue tool. I have two but no practical rescue experience with them. For rescue scenarios, I think they would perform more than adequately, maybe not as good as other tools, but certainly better than average (or nothing).

On the plus side, the tools on the SAK Rescue Tool are universally practical. The serrated blade is above average and the other two can handle a narrow variety of tasks. The glass breaker will do the job, and the Phillips, flat head and awl/reamer will surely do what they are designed to do.

So it may not be perfect, but like all SAKs the Rescue tool will do the job. But this thread inspired me to look at other options. No reason not to add to the "rescue stable" too!

Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.
No Life Club Posts: 1,167
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »
I can appreciate the comments about the perceived deficiencies of the SAK Rescue tool. I have two but no practical rescue experience with them. For rescue scenarios, I think they would perform more than adequately, maybe not as good as other tools, but certainly better than average (or nothing).

On the plus side, the tools on the SAK Rescue Tool are universally practical. The serrated blade is above average and the other two can handle a narrow variety of tasks. The glass breaker will do the job, and the Phillips, flat head and awl/reamer will surely do what they are designed to do.

So it may not be perfect, but like all SAKs the Rescue tool will do the job. But this thread inspired me to look at other options. No reason not to add to the "rescue stable" too!

Another benefit of the Victorinox is that as long as you don't pick up a counterfeit you are certain of the quality level as opposed to many cheap alternatives where I doubt that the steel would be enough to break a car window for example.
Hero Member Posts: 727
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »
Another benefit of the Victorinox is that as long as you don't pick up a counterfeit you are certain of the quality level as opposed to many cheap alternatives where I doubt that the steel would be enough to break a car window for example.

By cheap alternatives do you mean something like this "Carbon Steel" "escue Tool"

https://www.aliexpress.co...ff-4432-b436-c4e7cefbdd9a
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,236 Hook enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:42 PM »

By cheap alternatives do you mean something like this "Carbon Steel" "escue Tool"

The pics look like SS.  :whistle:

Hooked, like everyone else. :D

Small knives do what big knives do, just slower.

My 30 day pen challenge! Pretty(?) Pictures inside:
Official 30 Day Pen Challenge!
No Life Club Posts: 1,167
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »

Yes, there was a topic around as to the finer differences between the fakes and the real ones because not all of them was as obvious as missing a letter!
Hero Member Posts: 767 "What is the riddle of steel?"
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
That's the 10% off!  :rofl:

Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman
No Life Club Posts: 3,710
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
Had a near exact copy, bought from DealEx once.

Near exact visualy, but that is where it ended...

Buy now or regret later

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $372.43
PayPal Fees: $22.89
Net Balance: $349.54
Above Goal: $74.54
Site Currency: USD
127% 
November Donations

Community Links