Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camping Lantern

DaveK · 42 · 6059

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Camping Lantern
Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 07:01:58 PM
If they dismantle OK perhaps you could rub a bit of wet & dry paper over the clear surround?

Neil

Sure, or you could put frosted scotch tape around the lens, or they also make PDA protective sheets that diffuse light also.  I can't think of the name of those right now.....
- Terry

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:45 PM
I'll take the LEDs over the HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS from the gas lamp.

There are some high color rendition index LEDs coming out now:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=199054
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200252

R

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 07:10:28 PM
 :D
hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss is a part of outdoor-life soundtrack.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 07:27:27 PM
That's just my air bed going down... again :(

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 08:05:17 PM
:D
hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss is a part of outdoor-life soundtrack.

Definitely.  I love that sound.
- Terry

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 10:50:16 PM
Whatever happened to packing up an old Coleman lantern to go camping with? I bought a gas, not propane, lantern 8 years ago for $30, and it did everything I wanted it too. I had it filled, and lit it up just when i needed too and it lasted all night long on one tank of fuel. Not only is camping an American tradition, but it brings back memories of camping with my grandparents, and sitting around the picnic table with the light and hiss of the Coleman lantern right there in the middle of the table.

It's a shame that camping has now went to where most people prefer to buy batteries for their camping light. I can understand the safety issue, but it is still not the same, and just teach the kids to stay away from it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:51:54 PM by jdailey4206966 »
J

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 11:04:54 PM
I remember using similar lamps on the patrol tables at camp when I was in Scouts.  They worked well but they were big, smelled a bit and you had to prime them (and we were a lazy bunch).  For practicality you can't beat a modern LED and a few rechargeables.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline jdailey4206966

• America- Love it or leave it, but don't bleed it!!
Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 11:22:26 PM
I remember using similar lamps on the patrol tables at camp when I was in Scouts.  They worked well but they were big, smelled a bit and you had to prime them (and we were a lazy bunch).  For practicality you can't beat a modern LED and a few rechargeables.

Neil

I am sure they are fine, but I guess it just saddens me i guess. Knowing that everything we grew up with is going away. Soon there will be no need for gas, cause everything will be electric. The gas engine will be obsolete, camping stuff gone electric, and even some of the new yard tools are electric!!! I have always wondered when cars do go all electric, what will happen with drag racing and nascar? It will be quite as a mouse pissing on cotton. It won't be the same as the sound of raw horsepower tearing out of headers!
J

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 11:46:51 PM
We never got into Coleman gas lanterns because we used to do motorcycle camping
Coleman lamps (especially the mantles and the chimneys) are WAY too fragile for that.
The things are way too bulky too.   So they never got to be part of the "tradition" of
camping for us.

LED lamps are better, and you can use them inside the tent.
They also produce a more reasonable amount of light.
Many of the Coleman lanterns are obnoxiously bright.
If I WANT blazingly bright,  I can do that with LEDs too.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com

R

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:49 AM
I have/use an LED lantern which I like very much. it is adjustable and the light is just right for what I need it for,
being back/room/tent lighting or walking in the dark or working on something. I'll take a picture of it soon
(I thought I had one) and find out the brand.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 12:13:29 AM
ohh and I got it for free at work! (that always makes it nicer!)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #41 on: July 29, 2008, 11:04:55 AM
Whatever happened to packing up an old Coleman lantern to go camping with? I bought a gas, not propane, lantern 8 years ago for $30, and it did everything I wanted it too. I had it filled, and lit it up just when i needed too and it lasted all night long on one tank of fuel. Not only is camping an American tradition, but it brings back memories of camping with my grandparents, and sitting around the picnic table with the light and hiss of the Coleman lantern right there in the middle of the table.

It's a shame that camping has now went to where most people prefer to buy batteries for their camping light. I can understand the safety issue, but it is still not the same, and just teach the kids to stay away from it.

I too have many fond memories of Coleman lanterns on camping trips as a kid.

Coleman lanterns are still a decent light source for car camping and other sedentary outdoor activities.  Many people still seem to prefer them to other light sources.  AFAIK they're still widely available.

Carbide lamps are another excellent portable light source whose use is declining nowadays.

Carbide advantages:  lightweight, compact, long running, and put out hundreds of lumens of very white light.

Carbide disadvantages:  lamp body can get fairly hot, refueling can be messy, carbide in no longer widely available, and antifreeze is needed for the water tank in very cold weather.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD