Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

wing man scissors on wave

us Offline Zachbradley

wing man scissors on wave
on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:59 PM
Will the wing man scissors fit on the wave? If so how do you do it? Mayve replace the saw?

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Re: wing man scissors on wave
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:03:34 PM
It can be done, I believe you'll need to enlarge the pivot hole, but not much else.  Check out the Mod Squad board ( http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,16.0.html ) to see others' experiences, and this one in particular has some good information:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51718.msg877470.html#msg877470

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:10:22 PM
I think Breezy12 got there first:
this "skinny Charge" has been a terrific office EDC for me the past few months. :tu:
(Image removed from quote.)

I enlarged the pivot hole, moved the saw to the serrated blade slot and put them where the saw used to be:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:14:46 PM
It can be done, I believe you'll need to enlarge the pivot hole, but not much else.  Check out the Mod Squad board ( http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,16.0.html ) to see others' experiences, and this one in particular has some good information:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51718.msg877470.html#msg877470

this is correct -- you just need to enlarge the pivot hole from 3/16" to 7/32" and the scissors will fit nicely. :)

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 08:59:04 PM
CAn you clarify that a little bit as far as how to make the scissors fit. I just put them in a wave without doing anything and they wont spring back open. How do i fox this?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:24 PM
Did you file the back of the scissors piece (not the spring piece) so that the liner lock engages? Put up some pics mate.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:31:17 PM
some more details would help... did you put the scissors in place of the saw? is the liner lock engaging properly?

some pics would definitely help...

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:02 PM
yes, I am replacing the saw. the liner lock doesn't seem to engage properly. the scissors themselves shift down when trying to use them.
IMG_0210.jpg
* IMG_0210.jpg (Filesize: 50.75 KB)
IMG_0211.jpg
* IMG_0211.jpg (Filesize: 53.99 KB)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 11:27:21 PM
you may need to file a bit off the back of the scissors (where it meets the liner lock) in order to get the lock to engage properly. take a close look at where the liner lock meets the scissors, and it should be apparent if you need to file/grind the scissors at all.

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:00:28 AM
The scissors lock tightly but the spring mech wont shift into position

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:11 AM
Have you enlarged the pivot hole on the scissors so they fit onto the fastener post?

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 06:04:14 AM
No i have not. Do you mean the holes that the screw goes through? If so, how will this help? (Im not trying to be rude, in just puzzled  :P)

gb Offline pingu

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 09:31:37 AM
Yes it was me who broke my Wingman scissors tang while attempting to drill it  :facepalm: instead of using the diamond burr as usual.

But I have a question while the experts are on.  I note the spring arm is already oversize at a tad under 6mm.   Assuming I hadn't smeg'd the first stage does the original clearance between spring arm and post have to be restored?

(I'm guessing Zach must have the scissors piece trapped between post and screw against the liner lock :think: )

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:59 AM
Yes it was me who broke my Wingman scissors tang while attempting to drill it  :facepalm: instead of using the diamond burr as usual.

But I have a question while the experts are on.  I note the spring arm is already oversize at a tad under 6mm.   Assuming I hadn't smeg'd the first stage does the original clearance between spring arm and post have to be restored?

(I'm guessing Zach must have the scissors piece trapped between post and screw against the liner lock :think: )

I don't recall changing the spring piece at all. And yeah that is probably what Zach has done.

No i have not. Do you mean the holes that the screw goes through? If so, how will this help? (Im not trying to be rude, in just puzzled  :P)

Yes, the hole that the screw goes through has to be large enough to let the post pass through.
The post (not the screw) is what the scissors and spring pivot on.
You may have to file the back of the scissors piece (not the spring piece) so that the liner lock engages.
Tighten the screw all the way so that the spring piece can't be pushed off the post.
File a little and check the fit, rinse and repeat, don't rush it.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:23:12 PM
...rinse and repeat...

rinse?  What are you doing to the mother country's language  :pok:

Anyway damn this thread  :twak:.  It has rekindled my interest in having Wingman scissors in a Wave, or my case my Ve.  Also another go at at a single handled Wingman.  I do not think I can resist   :whistle:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:27:32 PM by pingu »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 01:43:06 PM
...rinse and repeat...

rinse?  What are you doing to the mother country's language  :pok:

Anyway damn this thread  :twak:.  It has rekindled my interest in having Wingman scissors in a Wave, or my case my Ve.  Also another go at at a single handled Wingman.  I do not think I can resist   :whistle:

I'm smurfing it to death just like you and those scissors everyone else does around here.  :P
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:44:08 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 07:41:19 PM

I don't recall changing the spring piece at all. And yeah that is probably what Zach has done.

I've done this mod enough times now to say with certainty that the spring piece does not require any modification. :)

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 11:17:33 PM
please pardon my newbiness. I am still not sure how to make this work. Here is how the scissors right now are acting: when locked into place, the scissors are not tight, so they dont spring back up. but when i force them down with my finger and hold it like that, they work like they should. but thats only when i am holding the scissors down with the opposite hand that i am using to press down the thumb pad. Can someone that has done this before please upload some picks showing me what i need to do? I would really appreciate it!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 12:01:55 AM

Yes, the hole that the screw goes through has to be large enough to let the post pass through.
The post (not the screw) is what the scissors and spring pivot on.
You may have to file the back of the scissors piece (not the spring piece) so that the liner lock engages.
Tighten the screw all the way so that the spring piece can't be pushed off the post.
File a little and check the fit, rinse and repeat, don't rush it.

Did you read this? How much of it do you understand? Enlarged the pivot hole yet?

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 12:08:54 AM
please pardon my newbiness. I am still not sure how to make this work. Here is how the scissors right now are acting: when locked into place, the scissors are not tight, so they dont spring back up. but when i force them down with my finger and hold it like that, they work like they should. but thats only when i am holding the scissors down with the opposite hand that i am using to press down the thumb pad. Can someone that has done this before please upload some picks showing me what i need to do? I would really appreciate it!

I have some pics that might help, but they're on my home computer. (I'm still at work.) I'll try to post some this weekend.

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 12:46:22 AM
I would appreciate it

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 06:08:02 AM
ok, I found a couple pics from a recent mod that I did for someone else that might help.

most of the time, all I need to do with the Wingman scissors is enlarge the pivot hole as previously discussed, but sometimes the back of the scissors piece doesn't line up well with the liner lock, the scissors won't work properly, and it looks like this:

if that's the case, then you just need to slowly file it down, stopping to do frequent test fits, until you get a nice flush lockup like this:

does this help? :think:

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 06:49:29 AM
thank you for the photos. i think i have just the opposite problem that you had. on yours, the scissors needed to be filed down because there was too much for the lock to activate. on mine, the lock activates but there is nothing to file down, there is actually some wiggle room there.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 07:18:44 AM
thank you for the photos. i think i have just the opposite problem that you had. on yours, the scissors needed to be filed down because there was too much for the lock to activate. on mine, the lock activates but there is nothing to file down, there is actually some wiggle room there.

interesting... I've never seen that before. could you try to get some close-up pics so we can see what you're talking about?

gb Offline pingu

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:47 AM
on mine, the lock activates but there is nothing to file down, there is actually some wiggle room there.

In the spirit that this is a knowledge base for others could the hole enlargement (how exactly did you enlarge the hole?) have been a little off-centre  :think:

I've seen Amazon reviews complaining that Wingman scissors didn't spring but it turns out the lock wasn't engaged.  I suspect or fear there are some tight tolerances required for correct operation.

Hope that you can recover something.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:31:43 AM by pingu »

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 06:13:51 PM
I finally got it figured out! thanks for the help, you guys!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:34:01 PM
I finally got it figured out! thanks for the help, you guys!

glad to hear it! :cheers: what turned out to be the problem??

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:01 PM
Just needed to make the pivot hole larger and file off the back of the scissors. Basically what you guys were telling me

il Offline dan.mandiel

• i need a surge :cry:
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:33 PM
more pics please :2tu:
- Ok sir, we've found this good multitool without scissors-

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

us Offline Zachbradley

Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 07:10:52 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00