Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recharge with awl and scissors?

Demel · 21 · 4416

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Recharge with awl and scissors?
on: February 14, 2015, 01:44:52 AM
I would love to buy a rebar and put its pliers head on my wave (or pay someone to do it for me  :D ). The recharge/mini surge is probably one of my favorite mods so far (next to Evil's Skeletool  :drool:  :drool:  :drool: ) But of all the recharge and mini surge pics I've seen, everyone replaces the scissors with the awl  :facepalm: I wanted to know has anyone tried replace the mini screwdriver with the awl instead? I'm kinda like nutnfancy, I have a thing with scissors. They are really a plus for me on any mt. So if someone can help me out that would be great. Thanks.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: Recharge with awl and scissors?
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:59:57 AM
I forget how thick the small bit driver is compared to the other internal tools, but I'll take a look for you this weekend. :salute:

but just to warn you, with the Rebar plier head installed, you'll have to grind down the scissors a bit to allow the tool to fully close...

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 02:09:22 AM
I forget how thick the small bit driver is compared to the other internal tools, but I'll take a look for you this weekend. :salute:

but just to warn you, with the Rebar plier head installed, you'll have to grind down the scissors a bit to allow the tool to fully close...

Thank you much. Did the grinding effect how well the scissors cut?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 04:26:51 AM

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:10:35 AM

Thank you much. Did the grinding effect how well the scissors cut?

nope, they still cut fine -- there's just less cutting area. I mostly just use them for trimming stray threads and nose hairs, so they work fine for my needs. ;)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 01:06:38 PM
(Image removed from quote.)[/url]
Are those two different ones? What did you use to make the awl in the last pic without grinding down the scissors?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:08:11 PM by Demel »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:46 AM
Sorry, was in a rush and didn't explain them.

First pic is an old setup with Charge scissors and Rebar awl.
Second pic is the same Charge, swapped the Charge scissors for the large flat driver and file for the Wingman scissors.
Third pic is the same Charge scissors put into a different Charge.

I made the awl in the third pic out of what I believe was the Rebar small flat driver.

The pics show how I changed the scissors to fit without losing any length.
These days I change the handle to fit and leave the scissors alone.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:56:12 AM by zoidberg »

il Offline dan.mandiel

• i need a surge :cry:
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:49 AM

my gawd... i was about starting the same topic for my upcoming ReCharge and i found exactly what i needed. this pic by zoidberg was exactly the tool set i was planning to put in my charge. how well does everything fit? does the tool close completely? thanks!!

btw.. im with you mate! :tu:  i'm a sucker for scissors!! :cheers:

oh yea i almost forgot.. if you liked the mini surge and those types of mods you might as well like The Commander by metro :dd: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41159.0.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:24:53 AM by dan.mandiel »
- Ok sir, we've found this good multitool without scissors-

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:46:58 AM
Hey dan.
It requires some work for the handles to close properly.
You can chose to adjust the tools, handles or a little of both depending on what you want.

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:26:46 AM
Hey dan.
You can chose to adjust the tools, handles or a little of both depending on what you want.

Umm what work is needed? i want exact tool set like yours on the inside

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:53:44 PM
Hey dan.

The general idea is something like this.

A: shorten scissors, grind a little off the awl and possibly the phillips.
B: grind (not shorten) scissors, remove blade safety lock, peen lock tab spring.
C: grind small lock tab safety nub, remove blade safety lock, peen lock tab spring.

You'll also have to remove the plier rest which may be on the safety lock or tab spring.

Some grind the pliers for the clearance. Breezy goes with option A. Pic you quoted is B.
I now use option C because it gives the most freedom to moving parts around.

Note that there are variables.
What works for one might not work for another.

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 02:10:44 PM

Hey dan.

B: grind (not shorten) scissors, remove blade safety lock, peen lock tab spring.
C: grind small lock tab safety nub, remove blade safety lock, peen lock tab spring.

You'll also have to remove the plier rest which may be on the safety lock or tab spring.

Some grind the pliers for the clearance. Breezy goes with option A. Pic you quoted is B.

Ok, saying i ground a bit of the awl and a bit of the scissors, the philips wont drop in while the tool is completely close without modifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-scissors.

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:50:07 PM

Hey dan.

Ok, saying i ground a bit of the awl and a bit of the scissors, the philips wont drop in while the tool is completely close without modifications?

Of course I want the tool to close Breeze. That is only a issue if I swap tools also?

even if you don't swap tools, the Wave scissors will also prevent the tool from closing completely.

if you choose to go the grinding route, I think the awl is the easiest to grind down and get clearance for the plier head. the scissors are a little more complicated. and if you want to put the Rebar drivers in there, you're looking at some serious grinding, especially on the Phillips.

you can also remove the blade safety pin mechanism completely, but then you need to re-peen so that the locking tab still functions.

either method will work. I prefer grinding the internal tools to fit; zoidberg likes to remove the blade safety pin mechanism. I think a couple other guys have tried grinding/reshaping the Rebar plier head, but I don't want to go that route.

hope this helps... I can dig up some pics if you need more info.

just for reference, here's what my ReCharge scissors look like compared to stock scissors:

(Image removed from quote.)

the grinding required on an awl is much more subtle. ;)

and in this one, you can kinda see the grinding that I did on the can opener that wasn't playing nicely with the Rebar pliers:

hope this helps! :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:12:34 PM
Here dan, read this mate, it's all in there.  :)

I've been working on a variation of the Mini Surge for a guy who saw the youtube review and contacted me about a custom mod. (thanks Kampfer!)

he wanted the fixed drivers installed instead of the bit drivers, but didn't want the blade lockout springs/pins removed. as a result, there was quite a bit of grinding/reprofiling involved, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. (sorry for the crappy, flash-heavy pics.)

Rebar Phillips driver, and I actually had to grind the can opener a bit to get a good fit with the Rebar plier head... never encountered this before. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the newer Wave handles. :think:

the finished product:

I've been working on a variation of the Mini Surge for a guy who saw the youtube review and contacted me about a custom mod. (thanks Kampfer!)

Questions. Did you change the pliers at all? Did you remove the plier rests? Does the Wave have the little bumps inside the handle to stop the lock release tabs from being pushed in too far? If yes, were they an issue?

I think it needs the gutting hook. Still, its a wee beastie.  :tu:

thanks zoidberg. :cheers:

Nope, no modification to the pliers at all. Grinding/reprofiling was done on the Phillips driver, small flat driver, and awl (and a tiny bit on the can opener) to allow complete closure of the handles.

Yes, the plier rests were removed -- there is NO way you're getting that Phillips driver in there without removing at least one of them. ;)

Yes, the new Wave handles still have those small bumps to stop the lock release tabs, but they didn't present any issues. I put the awl in the scissors spot, and the profile of the awl allows clearance of that bump. Ditto for the curvature of the underside of the Phillips driver. :tu:

I completely agree with you about the hook! :cheers: but those things are a pain in the ass to track down without disassembling a Charge. I check the TTC ebay page regularly (and grab them when they're available), but they haven't had any in stock for awhile. :( I even sent them an email, but they said they don't have any available at the moment.

Yes, the new Wave handles still have those small bumps to stop the lock release tabs, but they didn't present any issues. I put the awl in the scissors spot, and the profile of the awl allows clearance of that bump. Ditto for the curvature of the underside of the Phillips driver. :tu:

I had to put a notch into the Phillips to clear the bump. The Large Screwdriver and Awl were also held up by it.

interesting. I wonder if this is because you're removing the springs/pins on your mods, which allows the drivers/awl to close further? :think:

I do take some metal off the underside of the Phillips as well when I grind it down to fit, so that could be part of it as well. I've never had a problem with the large flat driver, since that comes stock on a Wave. are you putting it in a different spot?

Yeah the issue is only when in the scissors place.
The handles would close but the nail nick/hook would sit proud.
I wanted this one all flush though.

Another interesting one was I had to very slightly reprofile the scissors handle to clear the Rebar pliers.
But when detron did the same hack he said it fitted in without any problems.
Both were done with original TTi handles.

Was thinking of starting on the skinny hack but I'm not sure it would get much use. Feeling so unmotivated.

I always want them to be all flush. :D

I've always had to reprofile the scissors since I like to leave the springs/pins in place. ;) but there have been some slight changes to the Wave/Charge scissors over the last few years; could just be that you and detron were working with 2 different versions.

I have some hacks that I want to try for myself, I just need to find the time... and the motivation, like you said. :-\ I've got multiple disassembled tools that are just waiting to be hacked and put back together...

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:27 AM

This is what I think I would like the best, retaining the scissors size (they are already small) and adding the awl.

my gawd... i was about starting the same topic for my upcoming ReCharge and i found exactly what i needed. this pic by zoidberg was exactly the tool set i was planning to put in my charge. how well does everything fit? does the tool close completely? thanks!!

btw.. im with you mate! :tu:  i'm a sucker for scissors!! :cheers:

oh yea i almost forgot.. if you liked the mini surge and those types of mods you might as well like The Commander by metro :dd: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41159.0.html

:salute:
That's one thing I love about this place. So many brains in one place. It's almost impossible not to find inspiration.  :cheers:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 05:20:31 AM
great summary, zoidberg. thanks for pulling all those posts together. :cheers:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 05:23:23 AM
great summary, zoidberg. thanks for pulling all those posts together. :cheers:
Agreed. Although I did get lost for awhile in all the quotes. but very helpful nonetheless

il Offline dan.mandiel

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:17:00 AM

Hey dan.

Of course I want the tool to close Breeze. That is only a issue if I swap tools also?

even if you don't swap tools, the Wave scissors will also prevent the tool from closing completely.

if you choose to go the grinding route, I think the awl is the easiest to grind down and get clearance for the plier head. the scissors are a little more complicated. and if you want to put the Rebar drivers in there, you're looking at some serious grinding, especially on the Phillips.

you can also remove the blade safety pin mechanism completely, but then you need to re-peen so that the locking tab still functions.

either method will work. I prefer grinding the internal tools to fit; zoidberg likes to remove the blade safety pin mechanism. I think a couple other guys have tried grinding/reshaping the Rebar plier head, but I don't want to go that route.

hope this helps... I can dig up some pics if you need more info.

just for reference, here's what my ReCharge scissors look like compared to stock scissors:

the grinding required on an awl is much more subtle. ;)

and in this one, you can kinda see the grinding that I did on the can opener that wasn't playing nicely with the Rebar pliers:

hope this helps! :salute:

well, it's helping me to understand alot better what i need to do.
about the can opener- i'm going to remove it because i dont see myself opening cans and bottles with my MT.. on every multitool these days you can find a cap lifter or can opener.

about the philips, did you just grind down the back of it or there is something im missing? :whistle: :ahhh

-scissors.

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:32 AM
Can I ask you guys that have messed around with these mods and removing the plier rest to accommodate for longer tools. Zoid, what if you added the snub nose plier mod, that wouldn't fix all the issues because some added tools will still sit higher than the original tools and placements correct? It's also the underside of the folded tools that are issue too correct? Thanks
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 11:59:31 AM
Can I ask you guys that have messed around with these mods and removing the plier rest to accommodate for longer tools. Zoid, what if you added the snub nose plier mod, that wouldn't fix all the issues because some added tools will still sit higher than the original tools and placements correct? It's also the underside of the folded tools that are issue too correct? Thanks

Usually going blunt does not fix anything.
It can however introduce an issue like jamming up with the tools when closing the handles.
Given the number of variables and tool combinations it pays to try first, things may just fit, if they don't then you figure out what to modify.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:00:55 PM by zoidberg »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 01:10:11 PM

Usually going blunt does not fix anything.
It can however introduce an issue like jamming up with the tools when closing the handles.
Given the number of variables and tool combinations it pays to try first, things may just fit, if they don't then you figure out what to modify.

Yeah. Like what Zoidberg said. Very often after both removing the pliers rest and blunting, the pliers tip will jam on the tip of the tools when closing the handles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%