Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Navitool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Schrade Navitool
on: September 21, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
Before I begin, let me say that any tool is better than no tool.  Some tools, like the Navitool, only manage to make this true by a very slim margin.  However, as a multitool nut, when faced with a discontinued, somewhat rare multitool that originally retailed for $100, brand new in the box, with the box being in mint condition, and the instruction sheet inside, all for $35, I had no choice.  I was powerless to resist.

That having been said, one has to realize that the Navitool is a bizarre tool, even by my standards.  For $100 I would have expected more, like an actual built in lighter instead of a compartment to drop a Bic lighter into.  Or, at least a waterproof compartment for a lighter to fit into.  Still, the lighter does fit snugly in there, but I guess a Bic is just about as universal a size and shape as anyone is likely to ever get.

The flashlight is about as bright or useful as the ones found on the older 58mm Victorinox models.  It's a red LED, but you really have to put some pressure on the switch to make it light up.  However, someone was thinking when they put it on the main body and made the compass detach, so you can use the light to look at the compass in the dark, and not ruin your night vision.  I haven't noticed yet whether there are any glow in the dark markings on the compass but considering that it will be covered 99% of the time by the rest of the tool, it isn't terribly likely that it will ever get charged if there is.

The compass itself seems adequate, and also includes an inclinometer.  I'd love to comment on how well it works, but I have no idea how it works, so I can't really say.  Still, the bezel rotates, the compass is large and easy to read.  I would feel reasonably confident in using it if the fan got covered in brown stuff.

The tool compliment is reasonably decent, with a main blade, saw, scissors, can opener and bottle opener.  The can and bottle openers are reminiscent of the Victorinox style openers, and include screwdrivers and wire stripper.  The big difference is that the bottle opener end has been ground into a phillips screwdriver.  All the implements lock open, but due to the bulky, awkward "handle" they really aren't terribly useful.

The whistle is a quality piece of equipment though- it's an ACME whistle made in England.  Personally I'd have preferred a FOX 40 whistle, but that's personal preference.  Both work quite well, and was a pleasant surprise.  I had kind of expected the type of whistle found in a gumball machine...

All in all I wouldn't suggest anyone buys the Navitool if they are looking for something even remotely useful.  I put this in the Collector's forum rather than the review forum as that's pretty well all this thing is useful for- collecting.  In that light however, this is another fascinating offshoot of the Multitool Evolution.  The Navitool is one of those odd doodads that came out dring the rampant proliferation of multitools around the new millennium.  If you have an interest in oddities or oddballs, the Navitool is something you really need to have.  It fits in well with the Victorinox SportRatchet, Autotool, Leatherman Flair and some other designs that in hindsight were comical at best.

Do you need one?  Should you get one?  Only if you are a sick, twisted, hardcore collector.  If not, if you want something even remotely useful, then look elsewhere...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Schrade Navitool
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:54 PM
Nice write up on what has surely got to be one of the wackiest multitool designs ever. What were those folks at Schrade thinking? No wonder they went out of business a short time later! :P

Still, like you say it is surely destined to become a collectors item (if it hasn't already) :)

By the way, thanks for sending me a scan of the owners manual. I've got it posted up at the Encyclopedia already: NaviTool Owner's Manual
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:27 PM
Must have been damn hard to find something nice to say about that monstrosity :D

Great write up boss :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:02 PM
 :o,i want one of those upgrade-hitech multi compass/barometer thingys :gimme:

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:23:01 PM
I kinda thought you would come to the conclusion that more isnt allways better. However look at the good news of it. You will allways now have a flail to defend yourself.
S

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 10:28:28 PM
 :D

that tool is really odd,i mean did it sell well at all?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:31:47 PM
Mall ninjas swear by it!
S

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:29 PM
oh i see :D

"mall ninja" :D :cheers:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:00:12 PM
 Schrade had some new and exciting designs coming off the drawing boards in it's final days,this wasn't one of them.The idea behind behind it was fine,but the execution was faulty.
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 11:05:57 PM
Bison has it right- I mean what outdoorsman wouldn't want a good multitool based on a large, useful compass?  Unfortunately, I don't think any of those woodsmen were consulted in the final design of this tool, or else they would have told Schrade not to waste their time or money with it.

Better to have put together a "survival pack" with a small multitool, fixed blade, first aid kit and a good engineer's compass in a nice belt pouch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 03:21:39 PM
I missed this post , since becoming a ST1 owner + a ST6 on way  ::)  I have been looking at the Navitool . I do like those odd ones  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:39:20 PM
When you get your ST6 make sure you oil the removable screwdriver bit every time you use it I didn't and mine has light rust on it. Its not made of stainless steel like the rest of the multi.
(

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 01:01:27 AM
When you get your ST6 make sure you oil the removable screwdriver bit every time you use it I didn't and mine has light rust on it. Its not made of stainless steel like the rest of the multi.

Thanks mate. :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:31:50 AM
Whaddabout one of these little boogers?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 03:30:26 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

That's a Tough Chip isn't. If it is yes I am looking at them as well  ::) ::) :D. Are they much bigger than a Micra & are they heavy duty cutters ? What is their cutting limit ie are they small Tin snips ? :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 04:16:59 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

That's a Tough Chip isn't. If it is yes I am looking at them as well  ::) ::) :D. Are they much bigger than a Micra & are they heavy duty cutters ? What is their cutting limit ie are they small Tin snips ? :cheers:

They are mini-scissors, just like the Micra. A bit larger though, and not as slick (IMO) :-\

Still, it has a locking blades, which the Micra and Squirt and SOG Crosscut etc do not.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%