Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

old russian "multitool"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: old russian "multitool"
Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 02:46:31 AM
I have one of the original tantos... from back in the days before they started putting flippers on them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:13 AM
I have one of the original tantos... from back in the days before they started putting flippers on them.

And I'm sure you had to fight a bear with your bare hands and a broken leg to get it too.

You old geezer.

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 11:31:53 PM
Wow, awesome looking tools!

They look like something from an alternate universe...they are similar to a lot of western designs..but have subtle differences.

haha indeed, yes the russian knife market revolved around another range of interest and customers..  so the products are a little different ,
m

Offline ptolemy

Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 08:07:08 AM
and specs

thats a very nice one:)

i am going to try to find some information about it. since i was born in the old USSR, maybe my old pals can get me some information about it:)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 02:46:01 AM
and specs

thats a very nice one:)

i am going to try to find some information about it. since i was born in the old USSR, maybe my old pals can get me some information about it:)

Looking forward to hearing what you find out ptolemy :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ptolemy

Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 01:15:44 AM
my friend said that this version is for the military and shouldnt be as easy to find as the generic one made for the civilian use.

also it's considered 'cold weapon' as any knife live weapon.

he said he will look into it...we shall see what he comes up with...

some interesting names of the tools  there...

the on the right side (the one on top that has writing extended furthest right) translated it says something like: holder for the detonating cap.   interesting for sure :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 04:13:02 AM
Are you referring to this picture here ptolemy?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ptolemy

Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 07:45:47 AM
correct :)

i am not sure how to translate it property since i havent lived there for many years and it uses fairly specialize jargon

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 02:42:51 AM
I would kill for that tool!
B

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 09:01:22 AM
Are you referring to this picture here ptolemy?

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's my try at translating the text (I'm fluent in Russian, reading and writing zzz long story)

Multifunctional knife-instrument "Vzmash-3" - fist and only "super tool" of Russian manufacture, developed as a sappers combat knife. This knife is also looked at as a survival and combat knife for special operations in urbanized terrain. Functions - Main blade, pliers with wire cutters, and detonator/wire crimper, wood saw, metal saw (back of wood saw), ruler, two flat head screwdrivers - small and large, philips driver, wire stripper, awl/reamer, can opener, probe (hard to translate and function is not described properly, the item described is the end of the pliers handle). This knife got it's "baptism of fire" in "Nord Ost" (the theater performance taken over by Chechen terrorist in Moscow in 2002 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord-Ost) in clearing explosive devices. Knife "Vzmash-3" is officially adopted for military use (the civilian version is called "Professional").

There is a wrench by the pliers head that is not described in the summary, but there is an line pointing to it the picture. Also the picture points and describes a spring, looks like the pliers are spring loaded. There is a thumb stud for one handed opening of the main blade, and what looks like a liner lock.

Some of the specs.
Fully extended 250.5mm
Folded 140mm
Main Blade length 110mm
Blade at maximum width 26.8mm
Blade thickness 3.7mm
Handle width (at mid line) 36.5mm
Handle thickness (at mid line) 27mm
Wood saw length 110mm
Metal saw length 97.5mm
Main Blade Hardness, HRC 56-58   
Main Blade - steel 95X18MShD

Offline ptolemy

Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 11:41:24 PM
my friend found a price for this, its $275 or so (its 7500 rubles, but due to the fluxtuation of rufle vs dollar it also fluxuates)

thats the price inside russia, i guess u have to add $20-25 for s/h and i have no idea regarding the laws of russia/your country regarding this knife. i am guessing my friend (if it can be gotten) might be willing to do me a favor/see what can be done about it, but after he mails it, it's on his own for the customs...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%