Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3 in 1 oil?

us Offline Zachbradley

3 in 1 oil?
on: February 18, 2015, 05:54:08 AM
Does anyone here use 3 in one oil to maintian their multitool? If so, what do you think of it? What is the best product for maintaining a multitool?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 3 in 1 oil?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:55 AM
At the end of the day depending on what my MT was used on I'll spray it with WD40 then wipe clean after which I'll add a few drops of 3in1 to pivots and wipe it down.  I have had no issues with so called LM rust on my tools. 

Short answer for me, Use it, it works. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:43:08 AM
I used it once and it was too sticky. Plus it smells.

I use Mineral Oil now. You can find it in pharmacies. People use it for digestion fixes, cleaning cutting boards, even staining wood. Works great as an oil too and totally safe with food. Doesn't smell either.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:09:31 AM
I am in the WD-40 camp also. No it so much because it is the best but because I have in the realm of a million cans of it around the house.

Have heard some people talk about using mineral oil for knives the use on food, but after many years of using regular oil with no ill effects I will just keep keeping on. Course I wipe off the blade real good before I use it on food and if it really dirty wipe it on my pant leg. That sanitizes anything I am told.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:01 AM
Course I wipe off the blade real good before I use it on food and if it really dirty wipe it on my pant leg. That sanitizes anything I am told.

Not if your pants are anything like your mind.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:42:19 AM
Course I wipe off the blade real good before I use it on food and if it really dirty wipe it on my pant leg. That sanitizes anything I am told.

Good point and yes they are.

On the bright side though being I am not from NZ at least they are free of sheep and pig smurf.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:45 AM

Good point and yes they are.

On the bright side though being I am not from NZ at least they are free of sheep and pig smurf.

:rofl:

I also use WD40 on my Leathermans and SAKs, being a mechanic I always have a can handy!
darren

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 10:11:38 AM

I was hoping you would do better than that.  :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:52:39 AM
I've used 3-in-1 before with no ill effects to either myself or my multitools.  As others have said you'll want to wipe away as much as possible after applying.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 02:42:59 PM
I use mineral oil as well .

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 04:52:33 PM

Your dumb.  :twak:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 04:56:28 PM

I'd have been surprised if there was much pig smurf where you are Harls
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:29:14 PM
Does anyone here use 3 in one oil to maintian their multitool? If so, what do you think of it? What is the best product for maintaining a multitool?

I have been using 3-in-One oil for years to maintain my multitools. I wipe off the excess with a cotton rag.  None of my tools have shown rust except for a Leatherman CS4 because I did not oil it down.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:09 PM

I'd have been surprised if there was much pig smurf where you are Harls

Right, did not think about that.

So I have been wondering if maybe you would like to sell one of them OC Pioneers I see you post pictures of all the time?  :pok:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 05:53:46 PM
I now use Vic oil. It's expensive and comes in a little dropper but it's the best thing for a SAK.
SAW

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 05:59:15 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline magpie215

Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:41 PM
I use aeroshell fluid 3 but only because I have a readily available supply from work.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33:10 PM

*You're

us Offline Yalius

Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:51 AM
Mineral oil, here, as well. $2.99 bottle of mineral oil and a $5 acrylic syringe... last forever.

gb Offline Inky

Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:11 PM
I use 3in1 oil all the time on my tools, practically feed them with it, keeps the well lubricated and rust free, plus I love the smelled oil.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 01:14:32 PM
+1 for mineral oil, I occasionally use Vic oil also. I used to use 3 in 1 on my sharpening stones until I bought my Sharpmaker

us Offline English333

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:16 AM

I use Mineral Oil now. You can find it in pharmacies. People use it for digestion fixes, cleaning cutting boards, even staining wood. Works great as an oil too and totally safe with food. Doesn't smell either.

I use 3-n-1 on all of my knives and MTs and personally I love the smell.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:51 AM

I don't mind it either, I just don't want to be the guy sitting in class and stinking up the corner!

And KCCO!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 07:00:19 AM

I don't mind it either, I just don't want to be the guy sitting in class and stinking up the corner!

And KCCO!

You mean because of your knives and MT's right?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 07:03:37 AM

And KCCO!

You mean because of your knives and MT's right?
Yes! The Taco bell breakfast is a whoolleeeeee different story

us Offline Tulku

Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 07:16:16 PM
Ive got a small amount of Nano oil I use on tools that I do not intend to eat off of, I think it works great but maybe thats because I paid $18 for a few drops...
You want some of this defibrillator?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 07:21:44 PM
Ive got a small amount of Nano oil I use on tools that I do not intend to eat off of, I think it works great but maybe thats because I paid $18 for a few drops...

I've got it free from Christian/Nano-oil owner and still think it's a great oil. ;)

He does giveaways here regularly for 5 years now. :tu:

us Offline English333

Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 10:45:57 PM

And KCCO!

KCCO bro! I was pretty sure that's where you got your profile pic. Anyways. On topic. Are you smurfing bathing your MTs in 3n1? I keep a good coating on my knives and tools and I don't think it's permeating my jeans. But then again I could be wrong. Maybe that's why I can't keep the girls off me  :rofl: 

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:44 PM

And KCCO!

KCCO bro! I was pretty sure that's where you got your profile pic. Anyways. On topic. Are you smurfing bathing your MTs in 3n1? I keep a good coating on my knives and tools and I don't think it's permeating my jeans. But then again I could be wrong. Maybe that's why I can't keep the girls off me  :rofl:
It is from Chive!

And no, It doesn't help that I only really wear Gym shorts or bathing suits (it's a florida thing)

I usually try to kept pivots moist and blades wiped. Just enough that I can't see any oil but I know it's there.

us Offline English333

Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 10:57:11 PM

And KCCO!

It is from Chive!

And no, It doesn't help that I only really wear Gym shorts or bathing suits (it's a florida thing)

I usually try to kept pivots moist and blades wiped. Just enough that I can't see any oil but I know it's there.

Yeah. I know a chive butt when I see one. I usually go a little heavier on my MTs which is ironic considering I live no where near salt water. But after I didn't oil my surge for a few months and the plier head accumulated some small rust patches I have an oil-complex. All tools must be heavily oiled for imminent danger of rust.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%