Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger NewRangers

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Wenger NewRangers
on: July 22, 2008, 09:15:53 AM
Many of Wenger's NewRanger Swiss Army knives arguably fall into the multi-tool category due to having full-size pliers.  The pliers fold out of the knife.
The pliers are a moderate needlenose   (more needle than the Swisstools or the WengerGrip).  When closed, nothing sticks out  (unlike on the WengerGrip or PocketGrip).

They all have 4" locking blades, some of which are one-hand-opening.   The pliers can also be opened one-handed.   The saws (when present) are also 4" long.
All the flat screwdrivers lock automatically under pressure (and the lock releases automatically when the pressure is released).

The flagship of the NewRanger line is the Alinghi, which commemorates the Swiss America's Cup winner.
The Alinghi 176 has a one-hand-opening blade,  pliers, bottle opener/screwdriver, long screwdriver, marlinspike/shackle-opener/ruler, phillips, and awl.

The Alinghi 177 is similar, except for having a corkscrew and non-one-hand opening blade.

The NewRanger Touring 174  has blade, pliers, bottle-opener/screwdriver, can opener, Phillips, awl, and a standard bit driver, with a Phillips and flathead bit.
It is the 2008 "Patroullie de Galaciers" knife and seems to have very limited availability. Heidishop in Switzerland is the only seller I have found.

The NewRanger 70 "Electrician" has blade, pliers, metal file/saw, and Phillips.  Not sold in the US yet.

The NewRanger 73 "Handyman" has blade, pliers, bottle-opener/screwdriver, hooked blade, Phillips, and awl.

There is also the 75 with a can opener instead of the hooked blade,
and a 74 (in Europe) which is like the 75 but with a corkscrew instead of the Phillips.

The NewRanger 172 "Gardener" has blade" scissors, wood saw, and Phillips.

There is also a 71 with a non-serrated blade and a corkscrew instead of a Phillips (in Europe).

The NewRanger 58 "Hunter" has one-hand-opening blade, bottle-opener/screwdriver, can opener, wood saw, gutting blade.
There are additional models with fewer tools, some of which have pocket clips.
This starts to stray away from multi-tools into straight SAKs, so I'll stop here.

Size comparison with the Victorinox One-Hand Trekker:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:15:04 PM by AndyTiedye »
R

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Wenger NewRangers
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:09 AM
[img]http://web.mac.com/andytiedye/Site/wenger-touring-174.jpg[/img9

this looks intresting.

how does the screwdriver bits fit in that hole,and does the blade hit in screwdriver bit if u close the knife or do u have to screw with knife opened

that blade fits my taste just fine.

im not much into sak´s but these big ones i like.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:40:21 AM
Thanks for the great overview! I had no idea there was a model with scissors.

It's really hard to imagine how the NewRangers would feel to work with without actually trying them out. It's like that for most tools I imagine, but these are much more different than most.

Anyway, thanks again. That was very informative. :cheers:
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:26:45 AM
Great photo review mate, it's always great to see the various models back to back :cheers:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58:42 AM
My wish is a ranger version like the alinghi but instead of a merlin spike they put a wood saw.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 12:29:40 PM
Andy, you dirty bugger!  I'd planned on writing a very similar article for SOSAKOnline this month!  Of course, if you don't mind, I'd rather use yours, both because it's always nice to see someone else's name on an article, and I'm lazy! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:46 PM
Thanks for the info Andy. I did not know about the 174 model. Is that the hex driver socket on the side of the handle?

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:49:26 PM
They're some great looking knives.  Thanks Andy.

I had the Alinghi for quite a while but eventually sold it on.  It was a great knife but in the UK ... well you know the deal by now :(

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:08:57 PM
Andy, you dirty bugger!  I'd planned on writing a very similar article for SOSAKOnline this month!  Of course, if you don't mind, I'd rather use yours, both because it's always nice to see someone else's name on an article, and I'm lazy! :P

Def

No problem.   You could still do a "part 2" with the 1 and 2-layer Rangers that I omitted here for being insufficiently multitoolish.

R

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 06:03:04 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

how does the screwdriver bits fit in that hole,and does the blade hit in screwdriver bit if u close the knife or do u have to screw with knife opened[/img]

The hexagonal hole in the scale is the bitdriver.   It works fine with everything closed.  The tip of the blade does not come into contact with the bit.
One of the backsprings extends into the opening enough to provide a spring latch for the bit, so it does not fall out.
The sheath has room to hold 4 bits, so I think they expect people to augment the supplied bits with more from the hardware store.
This bitdriver also appears on the Wengergrip.

R

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 06:20:31 PM
I had the Alinghi for quite a while but eventually sold it on.  It was a great knife but in the UK ... well you know the deal by now :(

Neil

You would have had to buy a yacht to go with it so you would have a "good reason" for carrying it.

R

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 06:29:21 PM

Neil

You would have had to buy a yacht to go with it so you would have a "good reason" for carrying it.

Tempting though that option was, I think my wife may have had something to say about it if I'd sold the house to buy a boat :)

Neil

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 06:30:10 PM
I dunno, just think of all the edc options that would open up :D

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 06:33:38 PM
My wish is a ranger version like the alinghi but instead of a merlin spike they put a wood saw.

That would be a very useful combination.   The saw on the 58 and 172 is awesome.
They could probably also fit some tools under the handle of the pliers.

R

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 06:40:49 PM
I dunno, just think of all the edc options that would open up :D

:D

I think everyone fantasises about sodding it all and buying a boat at some time. Or perhaps just a camper van... I never did have high aspirations ;)

Neil

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 06:41:21 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

how does the screwdriver bits fit in that hole,and does the blade hit in screwdriver bit if u close the knife or do u have to screw with knife opened[/img]

The hexagonal hole in the scale is the bitdriver.   It works fine with everything closed.  The tip of the blade does not come into contact with the bit.
One of the backsprings extends into the opening enough to provide a spring latch for the bit, so it does not fall out.
The sheath has room to hold 4 bits, so I think they expect people to augment the supplied bits with more from the hardware store.
This bitdriver also appears on the Wengergrip.

I am not sure I am remembering correctly, but I thought you mentioned elsewhere that one of the models also accepted some sort of bit holder attachment over one of the implements, in addition to the one on the handle?

[

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 06:43:04 PM
I'm with you, I'd love to live on a riverboat/mobilehome bricks and mortar are just too damn expensive these days :(

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 07:47:07 PM
I am not sure I am remembering correctly, but I thought you mentioned elsewhere that one of the models also accepted some sort of bit holder attachment over one of the implements, in addition to the one on the handle?

The WengerGrip has the same kind of bit driver, and can also accept a bit holder over the long screwdriver.
The bit holder attachment comes with the WengerGrip.

The Alinghi would accept such an attachment if you have one, since it has the same screwdriver.
I do not know if that bitdriver attachment is sold separately.
R

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 09:42:55 PM
I really like the New Ranger's I've got.. The scissors are FANTASTIC!!
B

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:42 PM

I KNOW!! I want one of these knives, but none have the right combo that will separate me from my money.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 12:22:09 AM
If there is an model that sub scissor for marlin spike of alinghi, I'd get one right away.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:07 AM
If there is an model that sub scissor for marlin spike of alinghi, I'd get one right away.

Oh that works too! Anyone done custom work on the New Rangers yet?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 02:51:26 AM
Can any of you guys recommend a online dealer that has these in stock.

I checked FelineVet Shop and The Knife Center.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 03:56:57 AM
Felinevet has several of the New Rangers on his website: 
NewRanger 172
NewRanger 73
NewRanger 51
NewRanger 56
He has some of the new pocket clip models on his front page.

He also has some of the old Rangers:
Ranger 01
Ranger 101
Ranger 07 (I think)

He also has some on ebay:
NewRanger 75

It wouldn't hurt to ask him about any others you are interested in,  he doesn't always post everything he has available.

Alinghis are somewhat scarce, but he has them from time to time.

The "Touring 174" does not appear to be available to US dealers.  In fact, I don't see it on Wenger's Swiss website either in the product listings, only in a press release.

R

Offline Hoghead

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:22 AM
Thanks! I must have missed it. I'm interested in the 75 and maybe the 73.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 05:46:17 AM
I wish they made the New Ranger 75 with one hand opening blade and a pocket clip.  :(

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:22:08 AM
I wish they made the New Ranger 75 with one hand opening blade and a pocket clip.  :(

Perhaps they will.  The Swiss Army is reportedly looking to update their Soldier knives.
They want one-hand opening and all that.   Most assume the new knife will be a Vic 111
like the German Army knife.   I wonder.   All the new development seems to be on the
Wenger New Ranger side, while they have been cutting back on 111 Vics.

The Touring 174 is this year's Patrouillle de Galcieres knife.  In prior years, they just
put a bit of brass on the scale of a Commander for those.   This time, they designed a
new knife, with a tool (the bit driver) never before seen on a SAK, and the only
indication of its commemorative-ness is the outline of a mountain on the scale.

Could this 174 really be a prototype of the new Soldier's knife?
It seems that Wenger has gone to a lot of trouble for a small-run commemorative otherwise.

The military version would have a one-hand-opening blade, which is forbidden for civilians in Switzerland.

R

Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 09:25:47 AM

Perhaps they will.  The Swiss Army is reportedly looking to update their Soldier knives.
They want one-hand opening and all that.   Most assume the new knife will be a Vic 111
like the German Army knife.   I wonder.   All the new development seems to be on the
Wenger New Ranger side, while they have been cutting back on 111 Vics.

The Touring 174 is this year's Patrouillle de Galcieres knife.  In prior years, they just
put a bit of brass on the scale of a Commander for those.   This time, they designed a
new knife, with a tool (the bit driver) never before seen on a SAK, and the only
indication of its commemorative-ness is the outline of a mountain on the scale.

Could this 174 really be a prototype of the new Soldier's knife?
It seems that Wenger has gone to a lot of trouble for a small-run commemorative otherwise.

The military version would have a one-hand-opening blade, which is forbidden for civilians in Switzerland.

That's an interesting bit of speculation mate :), has that been discussed over on sosak then ???

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 08:10:28 PM
It is speculation, nothing more.   I have no inside knowledge.

I have made the same observation on SOSAK.   Obviously, there is a good bit of speculation there about what the new Soldier knife will be.
Most there assume that the new Swiss Army knife will be a 111 very much like the current GAK,  but Victorinox has discontinued the Atlas, the Locksmith, and the Jumpmaster (and maybe the Hercules), all 111's, while they continue to add New Rangers with new features and tools.

The 174 has unique knife and pliers backsprings to accomodate the bit driver.   Would they really do that just for a tiny commemorative run?

The SOSAK thread is http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/826346
R

Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 10:34:24 PM
Reading it now, thanks mate :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds