Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire craft & practice

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Fire craft & practice
on: March 29, 2016, 03:38:14 PM
Hi

After all the talk about char cloth I decided on a whim to use some of my char rope to start a fire.

Since this was in my back yard instead of the veld, I didn't have grass to help with the process.

I made shavings and slivers of wood from a date palm, very light wood and in my experience burns well and easily.

For the wood I had some stumps from an Avocado.

The char rope needs the tiniest spark from the ferro rod to get started....then the "fun" starts.....

I had my tinder between two pieces of Avo bark, and very quickly had the ember spreading to the tinder, lots of smoke and that sound of a blown flame, but the actual flame was a bit of a struggle.

The point of this post?

If you don't practice it's not worth smurf.......

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
If you don't take it out and use it,
It'll rust"
 :salute:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Fire craft & practice
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:46:45 PM
Very well said. Gotta practice.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:19:46 PM
As with any skill its got to be practiced to the point of it being second nature. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:56:39 PM
Hi

After all the talk about char cloth I decided on a whim to use some of my char rope to start a fire.

Since this was in my back yard instead of the veld, I didn't have grass to help with the process.

I made shavings and slivers of wood from a date palm, very light wood and in my experience burns well and easily.

For the wood I had some stumps from an Avocado.

The char rope needs the tiniest spark from the ferro rod to get started....then the "fun" starts.....

I had my tinder between two pieces of Avo bark, and very quickly had the ember spreading to the tinder, lots of smoke and that sound of a blown flame, but the actual flame was a bit of a struggle.

The point of this post?

If you don't practice it's not worth smurf.......

It'll rust"

Well said!   :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:15:21 PM

+100. Also, when it rains or windy or it's cold get out and hone your skills. It's a completely different ball game with the elements are working against you. Lots of lessons could be learned about equipment and technique.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:49:18 PM

+100. Also, when it rains or windy or it's cold get out and hone your skills. It's a completely different ball game with the elements are working against you. Lots of lessons could be learned about equipment and technique.

Exactly.
Last time I was really out we got rained on, put on dry clothes on during what turned out to be a lull....and got my dry clothes drenched.
Got home to find that the poncho I couldn't find was in my bag after all.........doubt I could've gotten a fire started with a flame thrower  :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 05:23:00 AM
Very true that these skills need to be practiced :cheers: It helps that I really just love fire though :dd: :2tu: :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:13:44 AM
Very true that these skills need to be practiced :cheers: It helps that I really just love fire though :dd: :2tu: :D

:ahhh

:D

It'll rust"

Everything I own has rust  :whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:23:08 PM

Tell me, is it an international thing........."play with fire and you'll wet your bed"...........?

I've been a pyromaniac as long as my parents can remember  :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:09:57 PM

Tell me, is it an international thing........."play with fire and you'll wet your bed"...........?

I've been a pyromaniac as long as my parents can remember  :rofl:

My mother told me when I was 2 I set the carpet on fire with a match ::) She said she went into another room and came back and I had done it that quick :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I have heard the wet your bed thing but it sure has been a long time ago :D I even remember getting my first lighter, my mothers grandmother gave it to me and said you have to be trusted with stuff like this at some point in your life :D I think I might have been 10 at the time (why no one had trusted me before that is beyond me :shrug: :rofl: ) I have not to this day set carpet (since the incident when I was 2 :dwts: :whistle: ) or anything else that shouldn't have been on fire :2tu:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:12:41 PM by Poncho65 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD