Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you help me set up my Victorinox SOS/Survival pouch?

Aloha · 52 · 5386

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I've had this SOS/Survival leather pouch for some time now but the standard contents aren't exactly what I'd bring with me outdoors.  I wanted something that can stand alone and be minimal yet hit most bases.  I seem to always take my Swisschamp when I hike/camp/explore and while I don't always take a full blown fire kit one handy is not a bad idea.

In terms of "survival" I have a dedicated pack if I'm headed into un familiar areas or more desolate areas.  This pouch would serve as back up to my standard hike carry and/or a "peace of mind" carry for any hike if I'm staying "light". 

I know the compass is not the best but so far it is accurate and till it breaks or becomes useless I'll hang on to it.

The fishing kit was included and while I'll most likely not use it its neat and small. 

So am I missing something?  I have a pack that serves me on most all hikes with a full compliment of equipment covering all 10 C's.  I tend to subtract C's dependent on my activity and redundancy of some gear is becoming my OCD ( Ok I'm enjoying making fire ).       
IMG_6722.jpg
* IMG_6722.jpg (Filesize: 189.3 KB)
IMG_6723.JPG
* IMG_6723.JPG (Filesize: 189.12 KB)
IMG_6724.JPG
* IMG_6724.JPG (Filesize: 207.58 KB)
IMG_6725.JPG
* IMG_6725.JPG (Filesize: 171.27 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Can you help me set up my Victorinox SOS/Survival pouch?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:46:48 PM
Any reason you have twine instead of paracord?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:24 PM
Any reason you have twine instead of paracord?

It's Jute Twine for tinder/bird nest after the char is lit.  Paracord is carried in a larger pack with the other 9 C's but only when I'm out on longer hikes or when in un familiar denser terrain.  This dual pouch would serve as less than 3 hours in familiar terrain.   

I like to start fires where ever I go to keep up with the skill.  Char/Twine/Ferro Rod are a winning combination for me so far. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:09:05 PM
I've pondered getting an SOS kit to go along with my SC. I'm using a Vic nylon velcro sheath and it works but for the bulk it takes up I might as well get the SOS pouch.

SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:15:53 PM
I've pondered getting an SOS kit to go along with my SC. I'm using a Vic nylon velcro sheath and it works but for the bulk it takes up I might as well get the SOS pouch.

I like it and carried it when I first got it but even then I was thinking how I could convert it to a small out door fire/sos kit. 

The Maglite Solitaire that came with it was ditched for the Thrunite Tis and it fits great.
It came with a comb and whistle as well and both were ditched since I dont have hair to comb and can whistle pretty darn loud if need be.  I'd probably be better off tho with a fire or the mirror and may add a red laser that would easily be seen in dark or day light.     
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:02 PM
I carry the sos pouch that reinner kindly gave me a while ago on hikes,and on trips,combined of course with the swisschamp, i changed the matches,plasters,and fish hooks and line weights etc,i kept the pencil,sharpening stone,compass,mirror,i added a maglite solitaire, great pouch,mines the single version  :tu:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:38 PM

I like it and carried it when I first got it but even then I was thinking how I could convert it to a small out door fire/sos kit. 

The Maglite Solitaire that came with it was ditched for the Thrunite Tis and it fits great.
It came with a comb and whistle as well and both were ditched since I dont have hair to comb and can whistle pretty darn loud if need be.  I'd probably be better off tho with a fire or the mirror and may add a red laser that would easily be seen in dark or day light.   
I already carry a pretty good titanium whistle on my keys so I'd toss that too. Good call on the Thrunite :tu:
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:29:16 PM
The Thrunite fits great I added to the pocket clip so I can use it on my hat as well.   
IMG_6730.jpg
* IMG_6730.jpg (Filesize: 133.53 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 12:12:37 PM
When it comes to starting fires in a true survival situation, I want the easiest option, I keep a mini BIC lighter in a Small Zip Lock bag in my kit. It's waterproof, one hand use, can start 100s or 1000s of fires.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:13:38 PM by DazMechanical »
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 05:10:28 PM
When it comes to starting fires in a true survival situation, I want the easiest option, I keep a mini BIC lighter in a Small Zip Lock bag in my kit. It's waterproof, one hand use, can start 100s or 1000s of fires.

I'm in total agreement with you.  This set up was intended for familiar shorter hikes with the intention of starting fires on the side.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:41:59 AM
I can't think of anything that you've forgotten.

I've made two substitutions in my SOS kit and a few additions.

I substituted a Vic sharpening steel for the stone and placed it inside the accessories compartment.In the space formally occupied by the sharpening stone I placed an Exotac Nano-Striker XL firestarter.I traded the Solitaire for an LED solitaire and also added a miniature survival folder in the accessories pouch.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 07:29:46 AM
I can't think of anything that you've forgotten.

I've made two substitutions in my SOS kit and a few additions.

I substituted a Vic sharpening steel for the stone and placed it inside the accessories compartment.In the space formally occupied by the sharpening stone I placed an Exotac Nano-Striker XL firestarter.I traded the Solitaire for an LED solitaire and also added a miniature survival folder in the accessories pouch.

Thanks  :tu: this should make for a fun easy carry.  I guess like everything we do I'll give it a few test runs and feel it out. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 3F

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:33:07 AM
Love it.....never seen that pouch before....waaaaaaaaaaaay cool.

I'd carry some fatwood.....but that's my way to make an easy fire.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 03:50:53 PM
It's very well made.  There is also a single sheath as well.  I'll take a pic of the one I have.   
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
I carry the sos pouch that reinner kindly gave me a while ago

:salute: :cheers:  8)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:56 AM
The single sheath is made just a well as the double.  In each side there are slots to hold items as well as in the flaps.  My Swisschamp fits like a glove and perfectly on the belt. 
IMG_7584.jpg
* IMG_7584.jpg (Filesize: 155.7 KB)
IMG_7585.jpg
* IMG_7585.jpg (Filesize: 171.06 KB)
IMG_7586.jpg
* IMG_7586.jpg (Filesize: 162.82 KB)
IMG_7587.jpg
* IMG_7587.jpg (Filesize: 187.63 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 09:45:16 AM
I love the single pouch,i carry it on walks,somtimes i carry my spirit instead of my champ as both fit well  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
Now thats a good idea thanks. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:58 PM
Great thread Aloha!  Ordered one of those Vic double pouches. Plan on a hiking/fire kit...this is just a quick exercise to see what/how stuff fits. The SC on one side and fire kit/compass on the other with room to spare. Maybe add a light....just brainstorming a bit.

I like the pouch already, it's great for keeping all those items together in a a daypack.

I saw the pencil sharpener idea on the net somewhere...great idea for making tinder.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:03 PM
Great thread Aloha!  Ordered one of those Vic double pouches. Plan on a hiking/fire kit...this is just a quick exercise to see what/how stuff fits. The SC on one side and fire kit/compass on the other with room to spare. Maybe add a light....just brainstorming a bit.

I like the pouch already, it's great for keeping all those items together in a a daypack.

(Image removed from quote.)

I saw the pencil sharpener idea on the net somewhere...great idea for making tinder.

This arrived too late for the shot but went right into the pouch....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 10:41:20 PM
Maybe because its because I live in sleepy Ireland(disaster-wise), but I cannot fathom the American need for BUGs and so on... This, at least has the excuse of being useful on hikes and camps, but still...

What happened to having a paper clip, SAK and duct tape as your EDC?  :rofl: (not serious  ;) )
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:32 PM
Maybe because its because I live in sleepy Ireland(disaster-wise), but I cannot fathom the American need for BUGs and so on... This, at least has the excuse of being useful on hikes and camps, but still...

What happened to having a paper clip, SAK and duct tape as your EDC?  :rofl: (not serious  ;) )

I have a headache and am a bit hazy so you will have to define "BUGS" for me.   :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 11:33:46 PM
Sorry-BUG=Bug Out Bag(I believe.).  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 12:03:10 AM
Sorry-BUG=Bug Out Bag(I believe.).  :cheers:

LOL, ok a BOB!  :tu:

I have several...for wildfire, tornado, ELE, insurrection, dinner with Andrea, invasion, Black Friday, economic collapse, alien takeover, halitosis, fall of Rome, return of the Ex etc....    :dd: (btw, the return of he Ex bag is nicely stocked with claret  :tu: )
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 05:14:21 AM
@ Sakguy

The dual pouch is nice when set up how you like.  I like the pencil sharpener and the pocket bellows is a good addition.  I've made some changes to this pouch after "testing" so I'll have to update this thread. 

@Pablo

I tried to make this kit one that would be fun to use while camping and hiking.  I try to leave my Swisschamp at home but I just cannot.  I have a Camper in my camping gear but honestly it just plays back up. 

As far as BOBs some have them and others don't and I'd imagine the reasons are vast. 

I don't have a BOB myself however I do have EVACUATION supplies.  We've had several wild fires in my area and tend to get them frequently.  I also live in California where earthquakes are still a very serious threat.  I don't have a plan for alien invasion YET as far as civil unrest or "whatever" collapses I do have a crappy plan but I'd rather not say. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 05:59:37 AM
@ Sakguy

The dual pouch is nice when set up how you like.  I like the pencil sharpener and the pocket bellows is a good addition.  I've made some changes to this pouch after "testing" so I'll have to update this thread. 

@Pablo

I tried to make this kit one that would be fun to use while camping and hiking.  I try to leave my Swisschamp at home but I just cannot.  I have a Camper in my camping gear but honestly it just plays back up. 

As far as BOBs some have them and others don't and I'd imagine the reasons are vast. 

I don't have a BOB myself however I do have EVACUATION supplies.  We've had several wild fires in my area and tend to get them frequently.  I also live in California where earthquakes are still a very serious threat.  I don't have a plan for alien invasion YET as far as civil unrest or "whatever" collapses I do have a crappy plan but I'd rather not say.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing the changes!! :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 10:13:24 AM
Thanks for answering. :)
I see that SAK Guy is a crazy prepared kind of person..... When are we going to get taken over by Aliens?  :rofl:

Aloha is more sensible.  :tu:

Sorry, remember that I live in Ireland, no earthquakes here, no tsunamis, no civil unrest... and as for the worst weather that we get.... Lets just say that you would be well prepared if you just had an umbrella.  :rofl:
Its not paradise here, but its nice.

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 11:11:17 AM
return of the Ex etc....    :dd: (btw, the return of he Ex bag is nicely stocked with claret  :tu: )

She will be back once she realises what she is missing.. and then you can share that bottle of wine, under a starry sky and feel sad about all the time you wasted by being apart.  :dd:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 04:25:59 PM

...dinner with Andrea...

This requires further explanation. Preferably with pictures accompanying the words. I'm confused as I have never gone to dinner with someone and expected the need to bug out. I simply won't go.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD