Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger -76 "Fat cross" SI

se Offline Mextreme

Wenger -76 "Fat cross" SI
on: February 24, 2015, 09:27:23 AM
Need some help.
I got this Wenger on-line and can´t figure it out.
It doesn´t have the red shield and it´s not the old cross either but a rather ugly "fat cross"
It´s not 100% centred either.
You can see the difference from the old cross on the photo attached.
The year on the blade is 76.
I did not find any picture on-line with a Wenger SI with this "Fat cross" nor any mention on the SAK wiki.
Is this some rare incarnation? I was planning on this as a user since it´s quite ugly, but if its rare maybe it should stay in the drawer. It has never been used and still has the factory edge.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:31:24 AM by Mextreme »

ch Offline jaydar

Re: Wenger -76 "Fat cross" SI
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:35:08 AM
That is where the military acceptance stamp would have gone ..... pretty rare to get a blank one :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:38:12 AM by jaydar »

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:43 AM
Ahh, Now I get it. It´s missing the stamp. I found photos like yours but didn´t connect it to my ugly duckling.
Does it mean it didn´t pass the military acceptance, not approved? Maybe stolen?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:47:52 AM by Mextreme »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:54 AM
Very cool  :salute:

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:39:26 AM
Ahh, Now I get it. It´s missing the stamp. I found photos like yours but didn´t connect it to my ugly duckling.
Does it mean it didn´t pass the military acceptance, not approved? Maybe stolen?

I think it is more likely just an overrun of production which was sold off.

The only blanks I have are on the 87 knifes as the army decided they no longer needed to check them before they were accepted into stores after that that space for the stamp is no longer included.

I seem to remember reading  the army had never rejected a knife ... and therefore they accepted Wenger and Victorinox own quality controls .... which was good of them :)

I would hang on to it as it will be worth a good but more than a stamped 76
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:41:55 AM by jaydar »

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:38 AM

The only blanks I have are on the 87 knifes as the army decided they no longer needed to check them before they were accepted into stores after that that space for the stamp is no longer included.

I seem to remember reading  the army had never rejected a knife ... and therefore they accepted Wenger and Victorinox own quality controls .... which was good of them :)

Sounds logical.
Thank you jaydar.

It doesn´t sound very rare. I´ll use it without remorse.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:01:37 PM

Sounds logical.
Thank you jaydar.

Thats what it was made for  :) .... it may not be very rare but I have over 200 alox soldiers and seen hundreds more and I have never seen one  >:D

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:36:26 PM

Sounds logical.
Thank you jaydar.

Thats what it was made for  :) .... it may not be very rare but I have over 200 alox soldiers and seen hundreds more and I have never seen one  >:D

Now I´m back on the remorse spot, Thanks :rant:      Just kidding

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:57:29 PM
Maybe you two cold trade for something less collectable. :)

I'm sure jaydar has a few extras around his place. :D

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 04:24:09 PM

Actually thats a good idea. I´m a collector by accident. Every time I buy a vintage user, it turns out to be some sort of semi-rare piece that I´m to wuzzy to use. Same thing with the golden elinox in the picture. Thought it would be a cool piece to edc but someone told me the golden one´s are a little rare and I should save it, and I chickened out.
I have 3-4 other examples like this. I´m pretty sure people are doing the opposite too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:28:11 PM by Mextreme »

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:46:50 PM

Actually thats a good idea. I´m a collector by accident. Every time I buy a vintage user, it turns out to be some sort of semi-rare piece that I´m to wuzzy to use. Same thing with the golden elinox in the picture. Thought it would be a cool piece to edc but someone told me the golden one´s are a little rare and I should save it, and I chickened out.
I have 3-4 other examples like this. I´m pretty sure people are doing the opposite too.

If I was you I would happily use it .... I carry and use my 66 soldier in Red alox quite alot ... It depends what you daily use is .... as long as you are not using it as a hammer you should be fine :)

Did you get the 76 for the year if not I would get my birth year sak and carry that its nice to have a knife that is as old as you are :) though it is a bit depressing that alox ages much better than humans :)

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 04:49:59 PM
I´ll do just that.
No it´s not my birth year. I´m unfortunately a bit older than that and not even close to that well preserved. Correct, the Alox age like good wine and I age more like milk.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:50 PM
I´ll do just that.
No it´s not my birth year. I´m unfortunately a bit older than that and not even close to that well preserved. Correct, the Alox age like good wine and I age more like milk.

Send me a PM with your year of birth and I will see if I can find you one :)

Mind you last time 2 times I offered that They were born in 61 and 58 two tricky years to find :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:53 PM
And there's Kirky, wo's born in '72. :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56