Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My EDC Sit-Rep

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
My EDC Sit-Rep
on: June 08, 2015, 04:49:38 AM
I've been very busy with work, and family, and the girlfriend and such. I haven't forgotten all you good folks, I've just been enjoying time I can spend away from the screens now that classes are finally done!!!

I don't know if you guys know, but for the summer I work at a campground basically as a general laborer. I never really know what they're going to ask me to do. Landscaping, carpentry, mechanical, grunt work, you name it. As I'm sure you'd figure out, this is the type of situation where you really need to have all of your bases covered to an extent, at least to make your life easier and make you look better.

This is a bit of a sad story actually. I started with, and up until last week, was loving, carrying my Schrade Tough Tool matched with the Mora Grathr so graciously gave me and the Spartan Aloha hooked me up with. These along with my new Coast HX5 were getting everything done and then some. I put away compound leverage clippers because the Mora could hack and slice through branches much quicker, this thing is just unreal, I love it. And the Schrade was constantly yanking and cutting weed whacker string, and I do mean constantly.

All the gear gets a pretty good work out every day, but then last week disaster struck. I was trying to back out a rusted ground screw for the lights on a boat trailer using the Schrade, and it happened. The back spring un-sprung, so all the tools on that side are now useless! I'm heart-broken, I was liking it so much that I was leaving everything else at home even when I wasn't working. And now I feel like I don't even know what to grab for work anymore!

The MP600 got a quick stint while we installed the foolishly designed docks. Aluminum poles into cast brackets with absolutely no clearance, if there was even the slightest burr would keep the pole from budging. Every damn one was torn up, and guess what the only file in the entire operation was? Yep, the little MP600 had to file probably 20 poles until they fit. But it sure did get the job done, and boy were they glad I brought it.

So now I'm stuck in a spot. Me and the MP never got along, but it's the heaviest duty tool I have now. The Sidekick is okay, but really isn't suited to hard work and I really need a file. Fuse is my pretty tool, and now the Schrade is out of commission. I need some suggestions fellas!

Sorry, very wordy but I've been gone for a bit and I miss all you wonderful fanatics.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: My EDC Sit-Rep
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 05:57:22 AM
I'm ... I guess a little confused. Are you wanting to know what tool we'd recommend to replace the Schrade?

If you need a good aggressive file, and budget is important, I think I'd recommend the Leatherman Rebar.

In truth though... you might wanna just stick with the MP600, if it's doing its duty.

While I'm the first to respond, I have to be honest in saying my experience in putting MTs to hard use is pretty limited, and folks with more should be along to be ACTUALLY helpful. :salute:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:08:03 AM
Due to the fact you might need anything I would also go with a Rebar.

Are you pocket carrying?

And it's glad to see you back buddy! I hope you got some fishing in!!!!

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:37:13 AM
I would say wave or rebar. If you need bigger, st300 or surge. Any chance your schrade has a lifetime warranty like lm?

Edit, they do have a lifetime warranty. Send it in to be repaired and your set!

Josh
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:38:54 AM by firefightingjosh »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:55 AM
Sounds like you need something that can stand some abuse, so my suggestion is an ST300 or a Surge(2nd generation with replaceable wire cutters), and add one of LMs (discontinued) Universal Bit Adaptors and a good selection of high quality bits.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 04:14:01 PM
Good to see you around Higgins  :salute:
Hope you are enjoying your time away from school and find some time to play a bit.  Total bummer about the Schrade TT.  Looks like the MP600 has to come off the bench while you send in the Schrade.  Maybe with a little more time the MP600 will grow on you.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
Higgs! Glad you are doing well. Like  Aloha and others said, try sending it in.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 07:33:39 PM
Thanks guys! Sorry Lynn I'm not in school, all the clear concise thinking and writing is gone now!!

I like the Schrade and if I could find another I wouldn't hesitate to get it again, but I was curious what other opinions you guys had.

The MP will likely serve for now, but I'm still looking. I really don't make much money so the ST and Wave are pushing me, but the Rebar might call for a serious look.

I've really been thinking about the Blacktip while West Marine still has them, would that be a foolish idea? Thanks for the opinions, and I'm glad I haven't been exiled yet!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:44:35 PM
What are the implements you use most often?

File, drivers, pliers.........? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:58 PM
So far, pliers first, then probably drivers, then file. But when the file is called on its pretty critical. Pliers never really for bolts or any of that stuff, I've used it to hold things while I tighten nuts and stuff. Mostly pulling and twisting stuff. I don't cut hard things with them really, I keep snippers in the truck for that. The Rebar is likely my best option honestly, but the Blacktip is cool, cheaper, and I don't have a SOG. I'm sure you guys have realized I'm not the most logical person.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:23:09 PM
Nothing wrong with SOG. In fact, you need a SOG.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:38 AM
I would go with a ST300 . If you abuse, it can take it !

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 03:29:31 AM
So all of my problems have been taken care of thanks to Lynn. She offered to send me an unused head swapped Rebar that she had, and it wasn't something I could turn down.

Today was my first day on the job with it. Honestly it's great, I think it's just what I had been looking for, in general not even just work. I love my Fuse, but missed the file and didn't need the scissors, but the Rebar fixes that. I'm content.

But the real hero has been the Mora. I was hesitant to carry a fixed blade as I didn't think it was really needed. But this thing is fantastic. It's no frills no BS it just works. Hacking through tree limbs, slicing plastic sheets, ripping apart and digging up roots. Today the weed whacker called it quits so I was slicing grass with it. Hands down the best thing I have with me at work

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 03:47:11 AM
 :salute:

Happy to hear it's working out for you.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 04:39:25 AM
Higgs my man, glad to see you around buddy :D  I'm late to the party here, but I would have suggested the Rebar as well.  What plier head does it have, the normal LM type?  I have one with the Charge TTi plier head that I got swapped to make a ReCharge, and I've found I like it on the Rebar better.  It makes it seem more like a PST III :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 04:47:06 AM
I got the tool from Jerseydevil, and I seem to recall him saying the head was from a Blast (?).

But yeah, the standard LM plier head.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD