Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas'

Smashie · 550 · 25590

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!

Bad News! for anyone that likes TopGear  :ahhh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31824040
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
it will hurt the BBC far more then it will ever hurt Clarkson. Soon enough they will realise it and it will be back on or a rival broadcaster will snap him up.
I

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Could any english speaker explain the term 'fracas' to me?

Is this a disturbence? A verbal commotion? Or does it mean assault, physical hitting?

I am not sure how to interpret the BBC statement.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Fracas is a very general term meaning anything from a simple disagreement to a full on knock down drag out fight
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Fracas is a very general term meaning anything from a simple disagreement to a full on knock down drag out fight

Thanks for answering!  :tu:

So it's not only me wondering what happened.
I am sure he will be hard to replace. Luckily we are 4 season or so behind in Germany, so we got some episodes to luck forward to.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Anyone got Sabine Schmitt's phone number? Or Vicky Buttler Henderson? Or Tiff Needel?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
I call bullsmurf.
From my point of view, all of this trouble with Clarkson, seems to me to just be a way of getting attention to the show.
Either that, or people are just too sensitive. Clarkson has always been known as a person that... Well, speaks, before he thinks. But that's part of what makes Top Gear fun to watch. I think it was in a special from India, where made a comment about a toilet in a car being a perfect idea, as people in India always got "the trots" - I respect people from India just as much as I respect my neighbour, but I laughed at that comment.

Once again, I call bullsmurf. IMHO, Top Gear won't be able to survive without Clarkson.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
While suspended doesn't mean fired, I do wonder if they're already thinking of replacements.  He's been in trouble a good few times before this and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last straw as far as the BBC are concerned.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
He's certainly pushed his luck on a few occasions in the not too distant past...

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
He may not be a universally loved figure, but it is also a big part of who he is and the character of the show. It would likely be a sad day in Top Gear history if they try to replace him. That show is one of the only ones where it seems like the hosts are actually just buddies hanging out and talking, rather than scripted nonsense.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

hr Offline styx

I wonder if this has anything to do with his last rant
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Maybe they'll go back now to the pre-Clarkson 1980's format and have a serious man with a beard and a jumper explaining how much leg room there is in an Austin Ambassador.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Maybe they'll go back now to the pre-Clarkson 1980's format and have a serious man with a beard and a jumper explaining how much leg room there is in an Austin Ambassador.

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Is it something like what happened to Bill Grundy after the Sex Pistols and Siouxsie Sioux Today interview?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Well the show won't be the same without him.  :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
^and that's from a man whose never seen an Austin Amabassador!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
"Sources said he was accused of hitting the producer in an incident last week, and the remaining three episodes of the current series might not be broadcast."

"One source claimed: “It was all over a catering issue. They came to the end of filming after a long day and Jeremy discovered that no food had been laid on.

“He just saw red and hit the assistant producer, who he blamed for not having organised the food. He snapped.”

The incident was reported to BBC bosses on Monday who then informed the 54-year-old yesterday he was suspended.
"

what exactly is a fracas?

"According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word fracas comes from the Italian fracassare, which means "to make an uproar" and is first recorded in a British context in 1727.

Jonathon Green, a lexicographer - dictionary maker - who has been publishing writing since the 1970s, said the word fracas conjured up images of "fisticuffs".

He said: "Most people would think it does imply some kind of fisticuffs, it is not just shouting at each other I would imagine.
"

He is funny, but it all depends on how physical the whole confrontation was... pushing, waving arms and shouting or an actual fight.

I hope he is not replaced by a woman or some really boring bloke in a knee-jerk reaction as the dynamics of the show (macho, stupid, funny) will be destroyed.

As I said before, there are plenty of shows about how fast or good or reliable cars are but none that have the easy watching, funny appeal of top Gear UK.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline greenbear

Well, like the fella or not, if there is any truth in the allegation and he has punched a colleague under UK working law he will have to be sacked, and his celebrity should not elevate him above that legal framework (although given the way this lousy country has deteriorated over recent years it might well do  ::) )

Certainly one of my colleagues punched me I'd expect them to be sacked.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Well, like the fella or not, if there is any truth in the allegation and he has punched a colleague under UK working law he will have to be sacked, and his celebrity should not elevate him above that legal framework (although given the way this lousy country has deteriorated over recent years it might well do  ::) )

Couldn't agree more.  Fame, celebrity, money, popularity or influence, I'd expect someone who punched a co-worker to get fired.

It does all hang on what kind of "fracas" it really was, as dks says; was it a full on smack in the teeth, or was it a bit of a shove?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:01:05 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
I don't know what all the fuss is about.  It's just a bit of banter.  Like casual racism, you know?  It's ok, because he doesn't really mean it.

gb Offline greenbear

Couldn't agree more.  Fame, celebrity, money, popularity or influence, I'd expect someone who punched a co-worker to get fired.

It does all hang on what kind of "fracas" it really was, as dks says; was it a full on smack in the teeth, or was it a bit of a shove?

I guess the truth will come out in due course, and the reports of him taking a swing at his producer are still uncorroborated.  Interesting to note that as of now 300,000 people have signed a petition to get him reinstated - I wonder if they be so keen if one of their colleagues took a swing at them.....it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Maybe the people calling for his reinstatement should remember what happens when people aren't held to account because of their celebrity status.

hr Offline styx

It's no secret that he has a bit of an ego, and even if he does get sacked it won't be for very long. Depending on who has the rights to use the Top Gear name, we could even see a reformatting of some sort
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
The three of them together are what make the show.  Since most of the show is based around what Clarkson says and does, losing him will be a big hit to the dynamic of the show.

I honestly don't think he should be suspended, but, if it's law, then it needs to be followed. :(

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
In my job i get slapped ,punched,kicked etc etc on a weekly basis  :D but then thats the nature of my job,im sure this with Clarkson is just hype,ill believe it when i see it,im a big TG fan so i hope it is just hype  :-\

gb Offline Philby

I stopped watching top gear a few years back, as its started to get more and more pathetic. This could be the best thing that ever happened to the show. He has previous form for violent behaviour.  He's basically the worst type of blokey smurf you could hope to meet! If it's true that he assaulted somebody, I hope he gets prosecuted, given the fact that he's very wealthy, and good friends with David Cameron ( next door neighbours apparently?), he'll probably get off scot free. He's already making light of the situation on twitter.
If anyone's in any doubt, I think the guy is a total smurf, that's smurf spelt with a C! He represents and stands for the worst of British values.

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

I think that's the point - too many "if" questions at the moment. I am not an apologist for the man, but "if" he assaulted someone (and assuming it was in the UK jurisdiction) and "if" others witnessed it, then I am very surprised there has been no complaint made to the police, or at least no report of any such criminal complaint being made, if not by the victim then by one of the others present.

The BBC are currently embroiled in one almighty, huge smurf-storm over their 'turning a blind eye' to various terrible things that happened with certain of their presenters in the past (of which there is no need to go into any detail on this forum) and I think their staff are now under a positive duty to report any wrongdoing, certainly I would be amazed if (that word again) a criminal assault by a high-profile BBC presenter was seen to take place by other employees and not one person took it on and made a formal complaint.

In a roundabout way I'm saying that I will wait to see how this is resolved before wading in with any judgment.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I hate the way this idiot is allowed to get away with his 'casual' racist, sexist, homophobic drivel in the name of good ratings.

Given what is going on in this country at the moment that others have alluded to, the BBC should distance themselves from him for once and for all.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Philby

I think that's the point - too many "if" questions at the moment. I am not an apologist for the man, but "if" he assaulted someone (and assuming it was in the UK jurisdiction) and "if" others witnessed it, then I am very surprised there has been no complaint made to the police, or at least no report of any such criminal complaint being made, if not by the victim then by one of the others present.

The BBC are currently embroiled in one almighty, huge smurf-storm over their 'turning a blind eye' to various terrible things that happened with certain of their presenters in the past (of which there is no need to go into any detail on this forum) and I think their staff are now under a positive duty to report any wrongdoing, certainly I would be amazed if (that word again) a criminal assault by a high-profile BBC presenter was seen to take place by other employees and not one person took it on and made a formal complaint.

In a roundabout way I'm saying that I will wait to see how this is resolved before wading in with any judgment.
No need to reserve judgement, i have a whole history of the man's despicable behaviour to draw on. If he hit someone ( for not getting his din dins ready after filming) he's a smurf, if he didn't hit anyone he's still a smurf.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I'd always assumed that his persona on the show was just that- TV Clarkson. 

If it turns out that is really the way he is then I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%