Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas'

Smashie · 550 · 25762

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Maybe he can replace all three of the guys on Top Gear USA and make the show watchable?  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I liked the TG Australia presenters (some of them).
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Has there been any rumblings about one of the other channels (itv, channel 4) trying to snatch any of these guys up?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
There's talk that Sky has been on to Jezza.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Philby

There's talk that Sky has been on to Jezza.
Sky are well versed in the art of dealing with 'problem' 'talent'!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 54.21 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Its official now,

Jeremy Clarkson has sacked (well, I think they just don't renew his contract).
And the Incident Report.

I like BBC for following through
Quote from: from the report above
There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Sad, but justified...

I just hope he is not replaced by some PC crowd favourite or a woman as it will really destroy the dynamics of the show.... I doubt it will ever be the same anyway, irrespective of what happens.

Well, due to JClarksons own stupidity/will the TG haters have got their own way.

sad, sad, day

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Investigation findings – Ken MacQuarrie
On 9 March 2015, Jeremy Clarkson reported to BBC management that he had been involved in a
physical and verbal incident with Oisin Tymon, the producer of Top Gear, at the Simonstone Hall
Hotel, North Yorkshire, whilst working on location. The incident had occurred on 4 March 2015
and Jeremy Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, pending investigation.
I was asked to undertake an investigation to establish the facts of what occurred. In conducting my
investigation, in line with the BBC’s usual practice, I interviewed a number of witnesses and others
connected with the incident. Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.
Having conducted these interviews and considered the evidence presented, I conclude the
following: on 4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack
by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and
bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the
physical attack and subsequently.
Specific facts I have found as part of my investigation are as follows:
 earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters
had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;
 the incident occurred on a patio area of the Simonstone Hall Hotel, where Oisin Tymon was
working on location for Top Gear;
 the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;
 it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;
 the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the
attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to
sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting
was audible in a hotel bedroom;
 derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear
team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a
sustained period of time;
 it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he
had lost his job;
 following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for
examination;
 over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin
Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and
 it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.
It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an
unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important
creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant
personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Well that's never a good choice of action.... Wasn't there bad blood between him and the producers?(not that it rectifies the situation, just curious)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
According to the Swiss News he might also have to face legal consequences, as the prosecution is looking at the case now.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
According to the Swiss News he might also have to face legal consequences, as the prosecution is looking at the case now.

Geeze,

I don't know about criminal charges.  :-\

I mean, if I pressed criminal charges everytime I got a fat lip, my horses and dogs would all be in jail, I think.  :twak:

(Can that smiley be grounds for charges?  ??? :ahhh)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
"Co-star James May called the decision a 'tragedy' and said he, Clarkson and Richard Hammond 'come as a package', suggesting that all three are now likely to leave the BBC.
May, who was spotted outside his London home in a variety of outfits today, also hinted that his future with Top Gear may be over, after changing his Twitter biography to describe himself as a 'former TV presenter.'
Hammond tweeted shortly afterwards: 'Gutted at such a sad end to an era. We're all three of us idiots in our different ways but it's been an incredible ride together'."

There is talk about all of them moving to a rival Chanel - a guaranteed hit for whoever employs them, if they can afford them.

As for the legal issues, it all depends on whether a complaint will be made to the police and how it will be viewed. People hit each other all the time, without going to jail or paying huge fines. There is also the point of whether the BBC will like to be drawn into a long legal battle. Really, the BBC may end up having to pay the victim, for not ensuring his safety.

As I said, a legally/morally justified decision, that is down to Jeremy's stupidity, who should have known better...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:49:05 PM by dks »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Hammond and May have previously said they wouldn't do the show without him, I wonder if they'll stick to that? 

I'll be surprised if BBC actually try and do it without him.  Lets be honest; the show hasn't actually been about cars in years, it's about the banter between the three presenters.

dks beat me too it. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
.........faster than an MTO  MOD......................    :ahhh

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
The cars were just a bonus to me.  I enjoyed the show for the three of them, and the crap they said and did.  BBC is going to lose out big time, but again, law is law, and one person can not be held above it.

I would love to see them all together in another car show.  Hell, they could do a show about house plants and it would be interesting!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
The cars were just a bonus to me.  I enjoyed the show for the three of them, and the crap they said and did.  BBC is going to lose out big time, but again, law is law, and one person can not be held above it.

This is true.  And for BBC, there will be other successful shows, despite the hit they'll take on this.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Well I like Top Gear but it takes guts from BBC to follow trough like this
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
I think they'll find a home on a different network as well.

I also think there's probably some details left out of the "investigation".

In the end I believe they just wanted an excuse to clear out some hefty salaries.

The BBC will continue raking in money from DVD sales of Top Gear. Long after they're all gone.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

hr Offline styx

Seriously, who owns the rights to the name Top gear?

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
The BBC.

JClar. had part of the rights but sold them to the BBC a few years ago

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Hammond and May have previously said they wouldn't do the show without him, I wonder if they'll stick to that? 

I'll be surprised if BBC actually try and do it without him.  Lets be honest; the show hasn't actually been about cars in years, it's about the banter between the three presenters.

dks beat me too it. ;)

My guess is there are already more than a few serious offers on the table.  Individually they all are a draw, admittedly to varying levels, but as a group they are more than a sum of their parts. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
In the face of a hundred odd people dying on a plane crash in the Swiss Alps,I can't agree with May calling this a tragity. No,it's a fair outcome for assault in the workplace!

Sorry,30 sec rant over :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
In the face of a hundred odd people dying on a plane crash in the Swiss Alps,I can't agree with May calling this a tragity. No,it's a fair outcome for assault in the workplace!

Sorry,30 sec rant over :tu:
That's my take too really. If I smacked someone I know I could expect the sack so why not him?

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
I do think the whole legal action thing may be excessive though. But then again I also think punishment for whacking someone is getting whacked back harder, but that's just how I am. It bugs me how every single little thing somehow becomes a criminal matter.(not defending this case, just a generalization of America lately).

If someone whacks me I'm not going to whine and try to get someone arrested or fined,I'm going to return the favor. (Again not what should have happened in this case, just my general feeling)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline BASguy

I do think the whole legal action thing may be excessive though. But then again I also think punishment for whacking someone is getting whacked back harder, but that's just how I am. It bugs me how every single little thing somehow becomes a criminal matter.(not defending this case, just a generalization of America lately).

If someone whacks me I'm not going to whine and try to get someone arrested or fined,I'm going to return the favor. (Again not what should have happened in this case, just my general feeling)
Boys will be boys and men will be men.  Whack him back and move on..... Maybe that's just the Arizona Cowboy in me, but I couldn't agree with you more.  A litigious society is not a better society.  It doesnt make us kinder, gentler, and safer. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline Philby

I think something like this was bound to happen, Clarkson turned into a horrible caricature of himself. An actual real life Alan Partridge. Perhaps a slot on late night provincial radio is the next move.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 43.73 KB)

hr Offline styx

He is too much of a draw for other TV networks to pass up

gb Offline Philby

Other 'commercial' tv networks, have to abide by the will of the advertisers. Commercial sensibilities are far more sensitive. Look at what happened to the two sexist smurfs on Sky sports. In Clarkson's case, you've got; sexism, racism, classism........ Basically all the isms, plus violent conduct. We'll see who's willing to put their brand to his ugly mug!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
 :pok:  He seems to be doing OK with the ladies   

hr Offline styx

Other 'commercial' tv networks, have to abide by the will of the advertisers. Commercial sensibilities are far more sensitive. Look at what happened to the two sexist smurfs on Sky sports. In Clarkson's case, you've got; sexism, racism, classism........ Basically all the isms, plus violent conduct. We'll see who's willing to put their brand to his ugly mug!

What to smurfs on Sky sports?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%