Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One of the worst SAK clones I have seen.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
One of the worst SAK clones I have seen.
on: March 11, 2015, 06:04:06 PM
A few years ago I purchased a package of 5 little multitools and bottle openers for 5 bucks at walmart. 1 dollar a multitool is a great price, but this SAK clone is just the worst. Keep in mind that I have never pocket carried this SAK, and it has never had to deal with anything other than occasional desk use. Anyway, let's get onto the photos (sorry for the quality).

OUTSIDE APPEARANCE

This SAK clone has little tin scales held on with tabs bent on the frame. They rattle constantly and the little rubber "grip things" are a complete joke because the rubber is so hard. The tool says Sheffield on it, but that's just a generic Walmart name.

MAIN BLADE

The main blade is of regular SAK blade dimensions with the standard "Stainless Steel" stamped onto the tang. Out of the box it was dull as a brick and is made out of some kind of horrible quality steel. Even though I have never hard used this thing, the backspring broke just from opening and closing the knife. Now it just flips around like a balisong.

CAN OPENER AND BOTTLE OPENER

The can opener is completely dull and won't work on cans without breaking the rim and the bottle opener has a ton of side to side wobble after using it to pry a little piece of wood.

SCISSORS

The only part of this tool that I thought I could use! Utter fail! The scissor spring was useless and broke off almost immediately. These scissors are about a quarter of the thickness of victorinox scissors and will not cut paper. As you can see from the picture, this scissors can flip 180 degrees. Spinning blades of death!

UNDERSIDE TOOLS

The corkscrew is fine, but is about half the thickness of victorinox corkscrews. It also bulges out of the tool way too much.
The nail care tool works fine, but the file is just a number of straight lines grinded in. The phillips head driver is just horrible. I tried to take a wood screw out of a log once and ended up destroying the frame of the whole tool.

This tool now rattles around and has fully rendered the tool useless.

OVERVIEW

For a dollar, it's great! For a tool, it's the worst thing I've ever come across. Luckily I just bought a Victorinox Huntsman II to be my desk tool. I hope that some other MTOers have found some entertainment in this review.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: One of the worst SAK clones I have seen.
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 06:29:06 PM
A few years ago I purchased a package of 5 little multitools and bottle openers for 5 bucks at walmart. 1 dollar a multitool is a great price, but this SAK clone is just the worst. Keep in mind that I have never pocket carried this SAK, and it has never had to deal with anything other than occasional desk use. Anyway, let's get onto the photos (sorry for the quality).

(...)
SCISSORS
(Image removed from quote.)

The only part of this tool that I thought I could use! Utter fail! The scissor spring was useless and broke off almost immediately. These scissors are about a quarter of the thickness of victorinox scissors and will not cut paper. As you can see from the picture, this scissors can flip 180 degrees. Spinning blades of death!

(...)

For a dollar, it's great! For a tool, it's the worst thing I've ever come across. Luckily I just bought a Victorinox Huntsman II to be my desk tool. I hope that some other MTOers have found some entertainment in this review.

Nice paperweight you got there!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When I saw the scissors pic I thought: "yes, they even managed to mount the scissors wrong!" but unfortunately it's just a free-twirling blade...
 :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 06:57:24 PM
Yup, the scissors weren't even angled to make contact with each other. :facepalm:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:07:52 PM
Sometimes i amuse myself by destroying these cheapos by my bare hands. Then practice modding with their parts.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 07:13:17 PM
nice review but no conclusion !
we're not quite sure if you like it or not ?  :whistle:

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:00 PM
nice review but no conclusion !
we're not quite sure if you like it or not ?  :whistle:

Sorry, I should have written a better conclusion. I did write "For a dollar, it's great! For a tool, it's the worst thing I've ever come across. Luckily I just bought a Victorinox Huntsman II to be my desk tool." at the end.

It's the kind of tool that actually makes your life harder. I really can't recommend that anyone (apart from enthusiasts like us) buy a low quality tool like this. Even first time buyers should steer clear because the average consumer would never believe in multitools after owning something like this. I mean, real SAKs aren't that expensive anyway.

And yes, you can easily destroy these things with your bare hands.

Cheers!  :cheers:

Offline FoXHounDXD

• New User
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:59:12 PM
Well a real SAK isn't any better...  Save the money and buy another Leatherman.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:27:36 PM

All talk and no pics.  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 10:39:34 PM

:viking:

il Offline dan.mandiel

• i need a surge :cry:
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 11:31:26 PM
Lol in israel we got so much of this.. We even got this in alox.
- Ok sir, we've found this good multitool without scissors-

-scissors.

- but sir, we figured it might not have scissors but it does have almost everything you need for a good price! -

- scissors.

- but sir..-

- sci. ssors.

Offline hillyrider

• New User
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 05:51:37 AM
The clone multi tool is useless and of no use AT ALL. I bought it thinking it would be a good bargain but in the end the knife blades you'll have to sharpen yourself, etc. Now I'm going for the Leatherman Surge. Although it's expensive, it comes with 25 year warranty and the customer service is appluadable.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!

Offline FoXHounDXD

• New User
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 08:35:47 PM
The clone multi tool is useless and of no use AT ALL. I bought it thinking it would be a good bargain but in the end the knife blades you'll have to sharpen yourself, etc. Now I'm going for the Leatherman Surge. Although it's expensive, it comes with 25 year warranty and the customer service is appluadable.
I have the black oxide version and its great . worth every penny. To some it might be heavy but my EDC is my surge with bits and bit extender, a sub EDC knife( LM crater C33L or Kershaw skyline Damascus) , EDC knife ( Spyderco Tenacious or benchmade styker ) and a neck knife (bear ops constant) so I'm used to the heavy weight. And I believe its well worth the extra weight.

Offline FoXHounDXD

• New User

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 10:55:00 PM

:rant:

I wish people would just leave junk like this on the shelves.

They'll keep on making them if we keep on buying em.

If we all quit buy crap and always demanded a quality product they would eventually start making them in there place.

Rant concluded.   :tu:
Defend the Hive!!!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 10:20:44 AM

:rant:

I wish people would just leave junk like this on the shelves.

They'll keep on making them if we keep on buying em.

If we all quit buy crap and always demanded a quality product they would eventually start making them in there place.

Rant concluded.   :tu:

+1  :salute: That's the best and quickest way to get rid of poor quality stuff. Don't put up with crap and don't buy it. Vote with your feet.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 05:16:04 PM
I had the same "knife", my blade snapped at the base too, after some very light use.
Antonio

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD