Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unusual SAKs

jazzbass · 182 · 24152

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Unusual SAKs
Reply #150 on: November 24, 2015, 11:20:06 PM
Stepping out of my comfort zone of Officer's Knives for a minute, so please excuse any errors or misinformation. Hopefully ulli or jaydar will correct any mistakes I make here.

I debated where to put this knife - there are a couple of Accountant/Student Knife threads here and this knife is a natural fit for those. But I think this thread is a good place because by all accounts this one is pretty unusual. This is - I think - a Model 54/2 P from the mid 1950s. It's 75mm with MOP scales. Pretty unusual for these knives as far as I've seen, this model has a nail file instead of a pen blade, much like a modern Sportsman or Cadet. After I picked this one up I looked back through my auction data - this is the only accountant-style knife I could find with the short nail file.

Looking at account-style knives, Victorinox made them in 4 sizes:

As I understand it, the sizes are:

Model 600/610: 62mm
Model 4x: 68.5mm
Model 5x: 75mm
Model 7x: 84mm

If this is correct, this is a Model 54/2. The standard pen blade model would simply be a Model 54, and the "/2" refers to the presence of the short nail file. The letters after the model number refer to the scale material - "H" for horn, "P" for mother-of-pearl. Here you can see the regular and "/2" versions side by side:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:35:22 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #151 on: November 25, 2015, 03:35:29 AM
Nice find!   :tu:

Offline ulli

Reply #152 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:53 PM
Whow, really cool knife! Never seen this one before, only in the catalog. I think you`re right with the numbers.

I have just a Number 50/2 H. Also not really common. And another one with the nailfile, but 84 mm advertising alox. I don`t know the Name or number of it.
k-DSC00908.JPG
* k-DSC00908.JPG (Filesize: 237.77 KB)

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #153 on: November 25, 2015, 11:27:31 PM
JB

I really like the 54 H, that clip point blade carbon steel? Badass great patina

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #154 on: November 25, 2015, 11:40:42 PM
Now that I look at it, maybe its a spear point? The secondary blade

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: November 26, 2015, 12:51:54 AM
I really like the 54 H, that clip point blade carbon steel? Badass great patina

No, it's stainless. It does look like carbon in the picture, though. I think it caught a weird reflection from the lightbox.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #156 on: November 26, 2015, 02:52:11 AM
A trio of interesting 84mms. The horn one at the top may be a 75 a H (not sure if the 'a' refers to t&t). The stainless one may be a 74 x.
IMG_1760.JPG
* IMG_1760.JPG (Filesize: 192.2 KB)
IMG_3399.JPG
* IMG_3399.JPG (Filesize: 109.36 KB)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:54:36 AM by ColoSwiss »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:20 PM
I love the information that comes out in this thread.  Keep 'em coming chaps. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #158 on: December 11, 2015, 08:32:45 PM
Here's an interesting one I picked up a couple years ago from a forum member here. It's a Yeoman with a pen blade instead of a combo tool - I call it a Yeoman II is keeping with Victorinox naming traditions. Looking at the tools I'd estimate that this knife was made sometime in the early 90s, so let's say 1992 give or take a year or so.

I've never heard anyone talk about this variation before, and I've never seen another one anywhere - not on eBay, in another collection, etc.  In fact, when I got this knife I thought that there was a good chance that it was a mod so I pulled the sales to check out the rivets. Sure enough they are factory peened, so this came from Ibach like this. Why the pen blade instead of the combo tool? I have two hypotheses:

1. It's a mistake. Someone grabbed a pen blade instead of combo tool, stuck it in and assembled it. Imagine assembling Explorers all day, then switching to Yeomans - pretty easy mistake to make. And since the pen blade does technically belong in that location, it fit fine and worked correctly and so it passed through QC. It came in a box that was stamped with the standard (combo tool) Yeoman part number and name, so this is IMO the most likely scenario.

2. This is a prototype for the new Yeoman knife that accidentally (or not accidentally) got sold. Most Yeomans (> 90% or so) were made in the mid 1990s - say circa 1994 - and have riveted scissors. This knife has the earlier scissors with a screw, implying that it was made earlier. Maybe they were curious what it's be like vs the combo tool version. This scenario is less like IMO, but still possible.

Whatever the case, here it is - the Yeoman II. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:34:21 PM by jazzbass »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #159 on: December 11, 2015, 09:22:04 PM
That's an odd one, reminds me of the 84mm Gourmet with CS but no other openers or the 84mm Electrician with Phillips driver but no other drivers. Not too versatile, but very cool!  :)

I agree with assembly mistake, just too weird, good find JB!  :cheers:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #160 on: December 11, 2015, 11:46:26 PM
I love the information that comes out in this thread.  Keep 'em coming chaps. :cheers:
+1  ;)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #161 on: December 12, 2015, 01:27:43 AM
+1  ;)

+2
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

de Offline crackout

Reply #162 on: December 13, 2015, 10:41:19 AM
That truely is a unique knife.
I wonder what other hyrbids are floating around unseen. :think:
Say my name.

fi Offline temo

Reply #163 on: December 18, 2015, 07:02:16 PM

Keychain size, at least a bit different design (nail clippers).

us Offline twiliter

Reply #164 on: February 01, 2016, 08:45:42 PM
Early 111mm Outrider, no small phillips and screw joint scissors. What I think is unusual about this one is the green scales, all the other early 111's I have seen were either red or black except the Hunter, and that was with a deer imprint. Tang has vssr stamp with "patented" opposite.  :salute:
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 145.88 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 169.9 KB)

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: February 01, 2016, 09:10:58 PM
This may qualify as unusual.
DSCN1372-1.jpg
* DSCN1372-1.jpg (Filesize: 224.05 KB)
DSCN1373-1.jpg
* DSCN1373-1.jpg (Filesize: 210.42 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline twiliter

Reply #166 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:07 PM
This may qualify as unusual.

Nice! I have been wanting a Garant Nomad for a long time.  :cheers:

Those 111 plus scales are very cool. :)

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #167 on: February 01, 2016, 09:25:41 PM
Wowza... those are real great looking SAKs. Unusual indeed and highly collectible. But useful as well.

C'mon Vic... bring back that Yeoman. Be it with combo tool or without.... C'mon...  :pok: :pok:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

at Offline Daark

Reply #168 on: February 01, 2016, 09:36:32 PM
Early 111mm Outrider, no small phillips and screw joint scissors. What I think is unusual about this one is the green scales, all the other early 111's I have seen were either red or black except the Hunter, and that was with a deer imprint. Tang has vssr stamp with "patented" opposite.  :salute:

I have a green scaled Tradesman, my father has one of those outriders with green scales too.<

Tradesman on the far right.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #169 on: February 01, 2016, 10:04:49 PM
Not so unusual then!  :)

Probably more common in Europe, nice group shot Daark.  :cheers:

at Offline Daark

Reply #170 on: February 01, 2016, 10:38:55 PM
Well, they are not common at all (anymore). It just seems to me in a short period where they were available we just bought them and are now the lucky owners of those od scaled beauties ;)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: March 21, 2016, 04:59:30 AM
Because of some unusual behavior on one of my image hosting accounts, I decided to go nuclear and delete all of my publicly hosted images. It seems someone from a Chinese IP address was following links from my SAK images and then getting into (or trying to get into) my personal images (family, friends, etc). Not that there was much exciting to see, but the whole "breach of privacy" thing weirded me out.

Sorry about that. I hope to reupload to a SAK-only image account here sometime in the future when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:01:44 AM by jazzbass »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #172 on: March 21, 2016, 05:04:16 AM
Holler when you're ready and we'll fix up the dead links.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #173 on: March 21, 2016, 05:37:49 AM
Because of some unusual behavior on one of my image hosting accounts, I decided to go nuclear and delete all of my publicly hosted images. It seems someone from a Chinese IP address was following links from my SAK images and then getting into (or trying to get into) my personal images (family, friends, etc). Not that there was much exciting to see, but the whole "breach of privacy" thing weirded me out.

Sorry about that. I hope to reupload to a SAK-only image account here sometime in the future when I get a chance.

Sorry to hear that JB....glad I saved all those pages!!  :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: March 21, 2016, 05:46:25 AM

There's also the "AT" version, called the Swiss Clipper AT. Supposedly "airport and TSA friendly" it has a mini flat tip in place of the pen blade . . .

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #175 on: March 21, 2016, 08:46:03 AM
There's also the "AT" version, called the Swiss Clipper AT. Supposedly "airport and TSA friendly" it has a mini flat tip in place of the pen blade . . .

Hi Temo, Jalind
Sorry to be a Kiljoy / Grumpy Old Man  >:D  ;)
But in this thread typically regular, current, catalogue models, (well up until 2013 in this case), and/or models that are described in SAKWIKI - Such as the AT or 580 - are not posted.
It's normally used for the rather unusual models such as factory errors or non catalogue/SAKWIKI models or the very old models.

As I think you know at MTo there are no rules or thread police - and thread highjacks seem to be positively encouraged.
So I could be out of line here - And certainly no offense is intended!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #176 on: March 21, 2016, 10:43:39 AM
Oh, you're just being grumpy....   

But yes, this thread is "really" for the "unusual/uncommon/discontinued models" (quote from the OP)

So, here is one of my favorite "old and interesting" SAK's

84mm version of Accountant with LNF and scissors  is about the best description I have found.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #177 on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:17 PM

I have a green scaled Tradesman, my father has one of those outriders with green scales too.<

Tradesman on the far right.

(Image removed from quote.)

Don't forget the blue-handled 111mms.

IMG_4268.JPG
* IMG_4268.JPG (Filesize: 133.11 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #178 on: March 21, 2016, 12:07:26 PM

Sorry to hear that. The creeps never stop.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #179 on: March 21, 2016, 04:38:07 PM

Sorry to hear, JB...good catch though!   :ahhh
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%