Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mystery SAK

us Offline SwissMan

• New User
Mystery SAK
on: July 07, 2015, 06:48:44 AM
I have come across this SAK knife and am not sure what model it actually is

Based on the tools (reamer without sewing eye, fully serrated blade and a pruning blade), it appears to be an Outdoorsman 'Original' http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Outdoorsman_Original
but the scales have the shield logo used for the Elinox knives.  This scale is not hot stamped as with many Elinox knives, but rather the embedded metal type logo.

Is anyone familiar with this particular knife or have any knowledge of it?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: Mystery SAK
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:46 AM
Yeah, I know a little something about it. I happen to have this exact same knife in my collection.

You're correct, it's an Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsman was made from the early/mid 1960s until the early 1980s, and the tools in it evolved over that time period along with all other Victorinox knives.

The model you have here is from the mid 1970s, I estimate circa 1975 (give or take a year or so). This is one of the first models made with the new, thinner 2.4mm "Officer Suisse" blades vs. the older "Elinox" and "Victoria" blades. The 4 turn corkscrew also indicates it's post 1974 heritage.

The most interesting thing about this piece is the inlaid Elinox style shield. Because I have this same knife, I know that on this model the shield is a stainless steel inlay. Now inlaid Elinox shields on older knives are not unusual (from 1957-1974 they were pretty much all inlaid), but they are always nickel-silver. Later, post 1975 Elinox shields are hot-stamped, not inlaid. However - this particular model (Outdoorsman from c 1975) is the only one I've ever seen with a stainless inlaid Elinox shield.

It's a great knife and it looks to be in very good shape. It's one of the more unusual Outdoorsman variants, so a good member of a collection.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:50:06 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline SwissMan

• New User
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 03:10:55 AM
Thanks for the information.  I really like this knife and it is in great condition.  It is the only one like it that I have come across.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:25:51 AM
Please forgive the necromancy...I have one of these too. And didn't want to start a new thread on it.

I'd put it at c. '76 since it has both the small scissor screw and a 'gray' scissor spring. I can refine that to later '76/very early '77 because of the awl. And somewhat from other construction detail. I suspect the OP's knife is the same, but I'd need to see the top side to confirm.

My personal feeling is that it's a shame these weren't made with the 'CAMPING' logo. And I'm daring to hope that there's a Hoffritz version out there...
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 03:29:47 AM
My personal feeling is that it's a shame these weren't made with the 'CAMPING' logo. And I'm daring to hope that there's a Hoffritz version out there...
That would be great too, but as yours is,  :like:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:15 AM

:cheers: Thanks FB! I just had to have it...otherwise my Outdoorsman collection would never be complete!  :ahhh

Crazy thing is ones from just a couple years later are essentially the same, but with the new shield and they aren't worth much unless MIB.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 07:43:00 AM
 :iagree:. That's a beautiful knife!
It has that look that only older SAKs have :tu:
Barry

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:48:04 AM
Blimey, that's a nice set of tools. Sad the pruner blade appears on so few modern SAKs!

00 Offline jnoxyd

Mystery SAK
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 10:15:53 AM
Thanks Kamakiri for bumping this threat. Two of my Outdoorsmans have nickel silver inlays and one stainless steel .
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:20:56 AM by jnoxyd »

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 04:05:52 PM
Two of my Outdoorsmans have nickel silver inlays and one stainless steel .
(Image removed from quote.)
:drool: :dd: :drool:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 04:22:41 PM
Please forgive the necromancy...I have one of these too. And didn't want to start a new thread on it.

Nice SAK kamakiri! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 04:23:15 PM
Thanks Kamakiri for bumping this threat. Two of my Outdoorsmans have nickel silver inlays and one stainless steel .

Very nice trio jnoxyd ! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:31 PM

Excellent! And thanks for adding to it jnoxyd!  I'd certainly appreciate more pictures/description/details of the Hoffritz and SS ones!  I only have one each Outdoorsman and Picnicker in the Nickel Silver/New Shield and both are not Hoffritz and have VSSR/VO tangs.  I suspect the date range on these is tight, but I suspect with that tang stamp, yours could be as late as '75/'76 I have 3 earlier Hoff Outdoorsman/Picnickers and all are HSS/VO and I'm guessing yours is H/VSSR (would make it close to mine in the c. '73/'74 range) but could be SSR which would make it later.

Bottom one is my user. Unpolished blades and a +PAT. Incorrect tweezers.

And I suspect your Stainless one is also '70s. Topside and bottom shots should allow me to provide a date, but spring type will certainly help. I suspect it is not a black spring based on your earlier comments in the other thread. And my guess is that it would fall in a range that should have aluminum tweezers.

So glad to see more examples!  :woohoo: Thanks again!  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 05:17:42 PM
Nice SAK kamakiri! :like: :tu: :tu:
:cheers: Thanks VICMAN!

Blimey, that's a nice set of tools. Sad the pruner blade appears on so few modern SAKs!
:iagree: I would upgrade half my users to the pruner+serrated if it was easy or cheap. Stay tuned for upcoming mods... ;)

:iagree:. That's a beautiful knife!
It has that look that only older SAKs have :tu:
:iagree: :cheers: Thanks and agreed Barry! It would have been nice if this shield were used for longer.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 05:25:26 PM
The c. '73 nickel silver / new shield Picnicker and Outdoorsman:

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 08:34:47 PM
Hi Kamakiri, here are pictures.
1. VSSR/OC SS shield

2. H/VSSR NS shield

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 09:02:06 PM
Jikes.... those are lovely guys  :drool:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 10:01:32 PM
Hi Kamakiri, here are pictures.
1. VSSR/OC SS shield
2. H/VSSR NS shield

Excellent!  The top one is late '76/'77. Double thin liners and the large scissor screw put it right in that range. I think it should have alum tweezers.

The Hoffirtz is early!  Black spring puts it in the '73-'75 range and the scissor and awl machining say on the earlier side of that. So c. '73 just like my non-Hoffiitz. And it should also get the aluminum tweezers that fit the longer slot/pocket.

Thanks for all the great pictures! It really does reinforce my thinking that stainless inlays were pretty broadly used c. '76.

Jikes.... those are lovely guys  :drool:

Thanks Matt!  :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 04:48:04 PM
Realized I saved the OP's pics from photobucket hell!  :rofl: Reposting via upload.
Front Open_zpszlal7fkj-4.jpg
* Front Open_zpszlal7fkj-4.jpg (Filesize: 60.67 KB)
Back- Blades open_zpsth7hufvh-2.jpg
* Back- Blades open_zpsth7hufvh-2.jpg (Filesize: 56.61 KB)
Tang Detail back_zpsuqwmrn3m-2.jpg
* Tang Detail back_zpsuqwmrn3m-2.jpg (Filesize: 62.85 KB)
tang Detail front_zpsbagqqogy-2.jpg
* tang Detail front_zpsbagqqogy-2.jpg (Filesize: 30.38 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 04:49:15 PM
Last two:
Back of Pruner_zpsg7a1csag-2.jpg
* Back of Pruner_zpsg7a1csag-2.jpg (Filesize: 25.47 KB)
Pruner_zps7jwfujnl-2.jpg
* Pruner_zps7jwfujnl-2.jpg (Filesize: 27.08 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%