Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would Rambo have carried a multi-tool?

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Would Rambo have carried a multi-tool?
on: January 04, 2007, 11:20:08 PM
Hey guys, I've been reading posts on here as well as on other forums, and I wonder if our grandfathers would have carried a multitool. I mean, they were working men who for the most part carried non-locking slipjoints. These were not collectors items in their hands, they were hard working tools, many times inexpensive, no frills, no nonsense knives used for one thing. Work. Hard work. Our grandfathers had them, and many of our fathers had them, and now we not only use them, but collect them as relics from a time long gone. However, if multi-tools as we know them today had been around in the days of our grandfathers, would THEY have been the EDC of choice? Again, remember, many of these old schoolers were hard working men. Would they be carrying a Leatherman, or Gerber, or Swisstool? Would the Rambo movies and the like have featured a Surge, Swisstool, or Powerlock lets say, rather then a big bulky "Survival" knife? Back then a man needed to be prepared for anything. It was the old scout mentality. What do you think our past would have been had their been multis available back then?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Would Rambo have carried a multi-tool?
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:30:17 PM
Interesting idea... I can't wait to read other people's thoughts on this!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:40:21 PM
I believe that if multi tools been available back then our forefathers most definately would have carried them.  Both of my grandfathers to this day still carry folding knives with their everyday essential gear.  Both were "millrights" at one time in their lives and I remember them telling me that a sharp folding knife was essential.  My father carried an electricians knife with a flat head screwdriver and a blade.  He used it for everything from stripping wires to cleaning his fingernails.  Essential tool kits carried in the car always consisted of pliers, screwdrivers, a hammer and a blade of some sort.  All this can be eliminated with a multitool that is easily carried on a belt.  So, yes if multis were available then as they are now there is no doubt that almost every "working man" would have carried one because of its practicality. 

Offline plowboy

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 10:07:23 PM
I think they would have.  While I suspect everyone agrees that multi-tools have limits, they are nonetheless very handy and useful tools.  There are just so many jobs they do work for and they are right there with you exactly when you need them the most.    I think men are men regardless of when they lived and we all like tools, gadgets and being prepared to do what is needed of us.

Yes...they would have carried them because multitools would have made them better prepared...just like they do us.
 :)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:28:56 PM
If he had the sence to pour Pee out of a boot - you betcha !

Chris

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:14 PM
Given our multitool definition debate, one could actually consider something silly like adding in the old hollow handled survival knives as multitools.  Even not counting all the goodies in the handle, many had sawbacks, bottle/can opener cutouts in the blade, compasses in the buttcap etc.  I don't know if he would have only carried a multitool, but I can pretty much guarantee that he would at least have had one in a support role to the bigger fixed blade.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%