Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Nay's Custom sheaths

us Offline Lurker!

• Graaar!
Review: Nay's Custom sheaths
on: March 18, 2015, 05:18:27 PM
So like any other sane multitool EDC'er, with a leatherman, I've NEVER been happy with the LM stock sheathes. I've carried a Wave for decades, and the more recent sheath I've used was a 'premium' leather. You know the one, with the thin leather, the sewing that gives out, the elastic sides for stuffing other junk into.

So while upgrading to a Surge, I decided a more solid sheath would be in order due to the increased weight. NOTHING through places like Amazon that would count as an improvement. No offense to Skinth, I'm sure they're great sheaths, but I wanted serious, solid, dressy leather. Where on the internet would you look for custom to semi-custom leather products made by people producing in quantities too small for places like Amazon or to spend much time on things like SEO so you'll find them in a google search? Oh, no. I have to go look at that girly ETSY site!   :P

So a few multitool sheaths come up, but this one:

...really sticks out. Oh, man! A paddle style sheath with a cant!

An order and a couple hopping weeks later, They post this

... On their facebook page. Black leather with black stitching, and canted for left side carry with a cutout hole in the bottom to allow for plier head down insertion during active use.

Now I've had it on my belt for a few days, and here's the impressions.
First, this guy is solid. The leather is something like 3/16" thick. It's hard almost like pre-medieval armor and fits the Surge like a tight glove, but flexible at the center of the flap. I have to say that the paddle design, for my tastes, is perfect. It really helps keep the sheath in one spot and never pivot. The canting is wonderfully comfortable in a seated position, and allows ergonomic access when standing.

The construction gets a 10/10 from a functional standpoint, and probably a 7.5/10 from an aesthetic standpoint. Stitching is spot on. Massive thread, even stitches. The leather is formed to the multitool ordered for and it fits cleanly without forcing. Again, super thick leather. I'm probably going to have to put this in my will, otherwise they really will fight over it when I'm dead (unlike another leather company's products I won't mention).

Aesthetically, it's amazing from about 6' away. Within 3' you start to see some areas that could have used some more work. For instance, the leather has loose fibers around the edges, especially the flap. The tooling around the belt slits isn't quite smooth. However, the finish is even and deep, the shaping is symmetrically laid out, and as a finishing touch, shape lines are stamped near the edges of several areas such as the flap and bottom hole.

Overall, this is exactly what you want in a premium leather sheath. A maker who's great to work with. Cost that's low enough that the wife won't freak out.  Comfort that will make you completely forget the price as soon as you put it on. Heavy duty leather and stitching. Classic leather appearance that will look great with a suit or busted in carpenter jeans.

Couple more pics for you all!

And because people will ask, here's the url
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Nayscustomleather?ref=l2-shop-header-avatar
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:21:53 PM by Lurker! »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Review: Nay's Custom sheaths
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 05:22:08 PM
So did you buy it off their FB page?

It looks AWESOME.

I like brown better but that black is super sleek.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:45:17 PM
Wow is that nice.

Great review of it also, well done.

Like my Nickey asked did you order it from ETSY or FB? Thinking about one of them open topped ones.

us Offline Lurker!

• Graaar!
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:09:57 PM
Ordered through the Etsy site. Those open topped ones look sweet. Not my style, but very nice.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:29:21 PM
 :drool: looks amazing  :salute: would love something like this for my SC  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:35:19 AM
Great review Lurker! :tu:  looks like a quality bit of kit.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 09:01:16 AM

Oh man what a great idea Z-Man.

Hmm I think it might be time for a email to Mr Nay.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 09:08:46 AM

Better add an OHT sheath on there for your BFAM.  :pok:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:19:00 AM

OHT? Yuk.

So big and boxy, how about a nice Surge or Wave sheath?

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25:43 AM

OHT? Yuk.

So big and boxy, how about a nice Surge or Wave sheath?
Sweet-bix.  :tu:

Sent from the land of the long white cloud.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:55:35 AM
:drool: That sheath is tempting, so very tempting... It looks like it's a quality product :drool:

Thank you for the review, Lurker. :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline FrankieBoy

• New User
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:24 AM
Unbelievably bad experience. I received my sheath and it had an ugly black mark on the sheath. That's not all. The belt loop was sewn on crooked and the flap was incorrectly sized so there was no way to secure my Leatherman. I contacted the owner and sent him pictures. He wanted me to pay for the shipping back to him. He also stated that he was "numb to these kind of things" and that he was going to resell this defective sheath to another unsuspecting customer. What a racket. Stay away from this guy. I'm keeping the sheath and throwing it in a drawer. I don't want this guy profiting any more from me or screwing someone else. Now I'm out the money and back at square-one shopping for a sheath. The next one will be from a brick-and-mortar business so the owner can't hide behind his online store.
EDC:
Victorinox CyberTool L on a TEC P-7 Keychain Suspension Clip
ZT 0909 w/Deep Carry Clip
PowerPractical Sparkr Mini Plasma Lighter
Keychain:
     TEC P-7 Suspension Clip
     TEC UFO Titanium Keyring
     Olight 120 Lumens i3E Copper AAA Flashlight
     Kingston DTSE9 G2 USB 3.0 128GB Data Traveler
Flipside 3X RFID Blocking Wallet
iPhone 7 64GB
     Klecker Knives iPhone 7 Case
   Magnesium Fire Starter tool
   Griffin Stowawy tool
   Pen
   Screwdriver
Hav-A-Hank Bandanna

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 03:53:19 AM
Unbelievably bad experience. I received my sheath and it had an ugly black mark on the sheath. That's not all. The belt loop was sewn on crooked and the flap was incorrectly sized so there was no way to secure my Leatherman. I contacted the owner and sent him pictures. He wanted me to pay for the shipping back to him. He also stated that he was "numb to these kind of things" and that he was going to resell this defective sheath to another unsuspecting customer. What a racket. Stay away from this guy. I'm keeping the sheath and throwing it in a drawer. I don't want this guy profiting any more from me or screwing someone else. Now I'm out the money and back at square-one shopping for a sheath. The next one will be from a brick-and-mortar business so the owner can't hide behind his online store.

Could you post some photos of these defects?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 03:04:02 PM

Could you post some photos of these defects?

Yeah, I'm interested to see some too please.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 01:01:20 PM
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mtn

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 03:43:48 PM
I'd treat that review with caution. The user registered here, made that post, then disappeared completely. Hasn't been active since that post, and that post is his only one.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 05:36:52 PM
I'd treat that review with caution. The user registered here, made that post, then disappeared completely. Hasn't been active since that post, and that post is his only one.

Yeah. Personally I don't put much stock in drive-by criticisms. I mean, every product and service, no matter how fantastic, always has at least one customer that is entirely dissatisfied and will tell you all about how terrible it is.

Just look up any SAK on Amazon and check the 1-star reviews for a laugh sometime.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%