Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small, cheap yet decent multitool.

Levi · 17 · 1985

Offline Levi

• What just happened?
Small, cheap yet decent multitool.
on: January 20, 2008, 01:41:31 AM
Really I'm looking for the best mix of small/light, quality and price. Something about the same size/price/quality as a SAK but with a dedicated pair of pliers (not one of those SAKs with pliers though; I don't get on with those).

What say the experts?
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Small, cheap yet decent multitool.
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:48:40 AM
I'd suggest a Juice model from Leatherman:

XE6

C2 and S2

Kf4

These are about the smallest tools you'll find with a decent array of features and full sized dedicated pliers.  I would also suggest the SOG CrossGrip because it has really nice pliers, but the rest of the options are a little lacking.

The Victorinox Spirit is also a great balance of size, weight, function and price.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:49:48 AM
If I were you I would pick up a LM Blast. It is around 50 USD and it is a superb multitool... It has everything you would ever need and even long screwdrivers.. I would look into the LM Blast.. If you find that 50 is more than you would like to spend may I reccomend the LM Juice S2.. It has a good amount of features and it is nice and compact.. Or, you could shoot for a Vic Spirit... You can find it online for abot $50 and it has everything would need as well as a real quality feeling.. Like really smooth pliers, click factor: when you open or close a blade it clicks, and just great build quality.. If you want to go even smaller and cheaper than you should get a LM Squirt. You can get them with scissors or pliers... They run about $30 bucks and they have some decent features.. I think one of these should be what you are looking for!
B

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:50:30 AM
Haha Def! I posted mine a minute before you and I said basically the same thing! Great minds think alike!!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 02:05:09 AM
I would suggest a Juice as well.  The KF4 IMO has the best tool selection.
I'm back!!

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:43:15 AM
I'll agree with the KF4 as well. :)
I'm not a Gerber expert, but if you're looking for a smaller price tag, they seem to make a good tool for the money. But I think they're a bit bigger than a SAK.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Offline Levi

• What just happened?
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:42:25 AM
I feel the Juice models are a little too expensive (unless someone knows of a place selling them cheap in the UK). To put things in perspective, I'm getting a Swisstool X for about £40. Fantastic, but I think it's a bit too big for EDC. I can get the Spirit for slightly more than that, but what's the size difference like (is it worth getting both, or are they more or less the same size)? The CrossGrip and Blast look OK and seem to have fair price tags, but does anyone know what the size difference is? The Blast would cost about £20 more than the SOG, but if it's the same size(ish) I wouldn't mind shelling out the extra for the better tool selection.
I

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 03:44:13 AM
The Blast has an amzing tool selection! Great long shanked screwdrivers, huge knife, and even a nice saw! Check it on on www.multitool.org then scroll to LM and click the blast and read the review!
B

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 01:38:40 AM

XE6

C2 and S2

Kf4

These are about the smallest tools you'll find with a decent array of features and full sized dedicated pliers.  I would also suggest the SOG CrossGrip because it has really nice pliers, but the rest of the options are a little lacking.

The Victorinox Spirit is also a great balance of size, weight, function and price.

Def

as i had this new-like s2 i just crawled thru web to get info about it,and came across prices and holy cow once again the multi is here about 80 euros,and seems like its about 50 usd...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 01:48:47 AM
I feel the Juice models are a little too expensive (unless someone knows of a place selling them cheap in the UK). To put things in perspective, I'm getting a Swisstool X for about £40. Fantastic, but I think it's a bit too big for EDC. I can get the Spirit for slightly more than that, but what's the size difference like (is it worth getting both, or are they more or less the same size)? The CrossGrip and Blast look OK and seem to have fair price tags, but does anyone know what the size difference is? The Blast would cost about £20 more than the SOG, but if it's the same size(ish) I wouldn't mind shelling out the extra for the better tool selection.

Don't buy anything in the UK! You'll pay twice as much.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 01:55:58 AM
oh really? so the good ol´u s of a is the way to go with leatherman deals;)?

ive already bought some knife from uk though,the Magnum Chopper.sweet little whittling knife with micarta,ivory,engravings,show case quality polishing,suede sheath etc :D

Offline RiverRider

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 03:28:26 AM
I'll agree with the KF4 as well. :)
I'm not a Gerber expert, but if you're looking for a smaller price tag, they seem to make a good tool for the money. But I think they're a bit bigger than a SAK.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

i would stay clear from gerber, they like to look fancy, but from actual use and reviews, they mind as well be made from tin.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 03:31:26 AM
I would buy a multitool made of tin. Just to say I had one. :multi:
Got those frog legs.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:12 AM
Try raiding flea markets and 2nd hand shop, I found lots of good quality, branded, slightly used multitool that way  :D I agree that what you need is the juice series they can be a bit expensive but so far haven't seen any big complains.
And Welcome to the forum! and get ready to be addicted  :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:13:03 AM

XE6

C2 and S2

Kf4

I know the OP said Juices were expensive in the UK, but the Juice CS4 and SC2 are also very good.  You can find lots of new and used on eBay for reasonable amounts - shipping is a different issue.  If it's a high priority to have a multitool the size of a SAK, then the Juices are too tough to beat to consider something else.

"

Offline joebw

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 12:55:03 AM
Hi,

The Leatherman Blast has been one of my three EDC's for the past three or four months.  I like the tool very much and think the weight is fantastic.  Is it the most rugged tool - no, but it gets the job done.  Now, if I could only find a decent top-loop leather sheath with a pin/slot flap that would fit it.  Ideas?

Thanks - Joe

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 01:07:31 AM
Around these parts, the best priced multis seem to be from the Kick/fuse/blast range.

then Spirits & Juices,
Then man-Sized multis.
The only reason I don't carry a Fuse is my irrational fear of plastic - I would wholeheartedly recommend them to you.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%