Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Building a desktop system

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Building a desktop system
Reply #60 on: August 17, 2019, 11:08:19 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

:popcorn:        :popcorn:        :popcorn:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #61 on: August 18, 2019, 04:10:32 AM
Bought a few parts for my computer the past couple weeks and got the parts as reasonably as I could :cheers: I installed a new power supply, a used graphics card Geforce GT 530 and a new 500gb ssd :like:

I installed the parts this morning then reinstalled Windows on the new ssd and and so far so good :cheers: More on it later as I am leaving the house now :salute:
:woohoo:

Good work, Poncho! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #62 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45:49 AM
Thanks guys :hatsoff: I am still looking for a i7 2600 processor to go in it at a reasonable price (for me :D ) and after that, this system will have been upgraded pretty much to it's limits :ahhh I may also get a Pcie card with 2 or 3 USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports :think: and that should help the speed of some of my data transfers as well :cheers: Have to get a few more settings and some more programs downloaded and installed and will have this system to where I want it and still have access to all of my data :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 02:52:59 PM
I have most everything the way I want now and the computer is way more responsive now :dd: :like: the graphics card is something I haven't had in a computer in a long while and will have to see what all it can do :salute: I play older games mostly and they have ran fine on this machine but I am excited to see how much better the graphics look on certain games :popcorn: the ssd has for sure been the best part of the upgrade as it has improved the responsiveness the most I believe :cheers: so far so good :like:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 06:39:13 PM
 :woohoo::like:

Glad it is working out like you hoped for, Poncho!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 10:14:25 PM
Well done Poncho!

Now... what games are you playing?  :pok:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #66 on: August 21, 2019, 02:24:51 AM
Not had much time for games yet :oops: :facepalm: I have Doom Legacy going but not really got to play it yet with work and not really felt like doing much since the heat has seemed to have turned up this week so far :ahhh I may play some old school Warcraft 2 and 3 and may even revisit Quake 2 :dd: Yes, I didn't need to upgrade to play any of these but the graphics will look better now :whistle: :D

Oh and Hexen 2 :ahhh :D

I mostly just wanted a faster system and this was the most economical solution  :cheers:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #67 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:25 PM
I don't really have much useful to add, apart from saying I REALLY miss my desktop. My laptop is great, but even the QHD+ screen doesn't make up for the poor onboard graphics card and lower ram, and also the horsepower of the i5 here vs the i7 on my desktop.

Have to admit I'm spoiled by the 24 inch full HD screens at work... I might have to look into a dual setup when I get back home...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: August 27, 2019, 03:56:39 AM
I use a 32 inch Sceptre brand flat screen that I got very reasonable from Walmart.com years ago that I was using with the vga port but since I put the GPU in I am using it with HDMI and I do love the tiny bit more crispness :cheers: I am thinking of adding another monitor as well and using the DVI port in conjunction with the HDMI and see how it turns out :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #69 on: September 08, 2019, 12:27:08 AM
I have an Intel i5 2500 incoming that is second hand that I got cheap on the bay :cheers: The ssd has made the most impact so far in speed but I wanted some type of quad processor and this one was much cheaper than the i7 :whistle: :cheers: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:15 AM
Not sure but pretty sure that my ssd is already dead :facepalm: I had to order another :ahhh hopefully I can get Win 10 on it and go but I used my RasPi 3 with Rasbian on it as a backup :salute: It sufficed but was a bit laggy :ahhh I also ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb of ram :cheers: the ssd and the RasPi 4 came the same day and I put the Pi together and installed Rasbian and it is working very well :tu:  :like: so far the ssd is sitting on the desk waiting to be installed :whistle: :facepalm: :D

If not for a few minor things I like on Windows, I would probably just use the Pi 4 and never look back :o 8) :like:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 06:27:36 AM
Was thinking of trying the 2016 Doom with the new setup that I am going for :cheers: hope I can play it half way decent after this but who knows :ahhh

Thinking it probably won't now though :facepalm: :oops: :ahhh
I'm enjoying it... can't kill that damn Cyberdemon though :duel: :bnghd: so I'm going back and exploring to find all the secrets I missed.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: January 14, 2020, 12:36:06 PM
Great to hear you are still playin it :cheers: Getting your monies worth out of it for sure :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 03:22:49 PM
Got a new Crucial 500gb ssd the other day and put Win 10 back on it and all is well again  :D I was very pleased with that RasPi though and need to get it hooked up and running somewhere else :tu: Need to put my desktop completely back together (hook the hdd back up and cover back on)  and put it back in it's spot :salute:

Oh and the ssd that died was an HP :whistle: :facepalm:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 07:04:50 PM
in the older PCs we have at work they all have 180gb Intel SSDs, I've had one die on me so far...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: January 24, 2020, 11:48:22 AM
Mine sure is older.... :D but an ssd makes it feel like a new one :dd: I try not to keep a lot on them that I care about losing (I have external hdds and another internal hdd that I keep backups of backups)  :salute: I haven't looked at the Intel ones but I had heard good things of the Crucial ones :cheers: Hopefully it lasts way longer :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #76 on: February 04, 2020, 07:46:37 PM
I just downloaded and installed Core Temp to keep an eye on the temperature.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #77 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:46 PM
Mine sure is older.... :D but an ssd makes it feel like a new one :dd: I try not to keep a lot on them that I care about losing (I have external hdds and another internal hdd that I keep backups of backups)  :salute: I haven't looked at the Intel ones but I had heard good things of the Crucial ones :cheers: Hopefully it lasts way longer :D
Good to have backups in any case, but aren't SSDs more reliable than HDDs? ???
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #78 on: February 07, 2020, 08:47:05 PM
Not in my case ::) :rofl:  I think they are more for speed and to some capacity storage but hdds even with their problems can have a more long term storage (reading and writing) capacity than an ssd. Once an ssd has been written on and overwritten on so many times they start to die (different sectors of them) essentually :ahhh Of course my HP ssd was likely faulty and cheap made :D I try to have several backups of things that are of importance :salute: :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #79 on: February 09, 2020, 02:02:51 PM
So you're comparing a cheap old SSD to a good HDD. :think: :D
Not disagreeing about the backups. :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: February 09, 2020, 07:31:56 PM
It depends on how you look at it, normal HDs can fail gradually, and usually you notice some decline before everything is beyond the point of no return.

SSDs when they fail is catastrophic and completely.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: February 12, 2020, 04:11:30 PM
 :iagree: with Whoey :tu: and that is what I was meaning. I usually have an idea when an HDD is gonna crash but with SSDs it is all at once and they do decline as you read and write many many time over whereas a HDD is usually a mechanical failure :cheers: Unless of course you have a big magnet nearby :ahhh :D I have had bad sectors in them as well but usually the whole drive doesn't go at once :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: February 12, 2020, 04:12:28 PM
Also as time goes the technology will get better :D They have made leaps and bounds with the ssds in the last couple years that is just amazing :o :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #83 on: February 28, 2020, 12:34:57 PM
Tell me about it. When I decided to build a new system recently, I had never heard of M.2 NVME drives. Now having installed Windows 10 on one, what a difference! The drive I chose wasn't even the fastest out there. After doing my research, I found out that the real world results wouldn't even be noticeable to the end user from the fastest to the slightly slower drives, and I got to save some money,. Win win in my books.  :hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24