Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Switch Plier 2.0

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG Switch Plier 2.0
Reply #210 on: February 18, 2016, 01:18:27 PM
Ok, i've got it since 4 months , and i'm quite disappointed.
The sping oppening mechanism is funny, the inner tools are quite ok, but:

The plier is weak, i mean really weak, sometimes i try to cut something and they just got stuck (and impossible to move the plier again) or didn't cut well, i already had to cut a wire with my style PS because my switchplier 2 wasn't wanting to cut it!!

The inner tool are a pain in the --- to deploy, you need to open the plier and the piano spring is useless.

So ok it funny but not really convenient as i never know if in can trust my plier.

a video to explain the problem, maybe i'm the only one to have it.

When the pliers stick closed my first thought is that there might be a bit of metal in the cutters folded over- that is usually why plier jaws won't open smoothly.

But then at the end it seems to pop open ok. 

I'll send Chris@SOG a message and see what he thinks.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #211 on: February 20, 2016, 03:43:17 PM
thx grant, nothing was stuck, sometimes it makes the same when i press hard during bolt screwing.
Very strange feeling, like if something inside just say: "no more, i'm f***ing done, i will come back later".

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #212 on: February 21, 2016, 12:09:04 PM

The plier is weak, i mean really weak, sometimes i try to cut something and they just got stuck (and impossible to move the plier again) or didn't cut well, i already had to cut a wire with my style PS because my switchplier 2 wasn't wanting to cut it!!

The inner tool are a pain in the --- to deploy, you need to open the plier and the piano spring is useless.

So ok it funny but not really convenient as i never know if in can trust my plier.

When the pliers stick closed my first thought is that there might be a bit of metal in the cutters folded over- that is usually why plier jaws won't open smoothly.

But then at the end it seems to pop open ok. 

I'll send Chris@SOG a message and see what he thinks.

Def

Ask him to send me a fresh one, had to ditch the pocket clip to get the pliers working again. I may have bent up the can opener screwdriver as well.   :whistle:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #213 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:44 AM
My scissors get hung up right before folding in. The handle hits the cross member for the safety locks. 
 If I pinch the tip of the scissors to close them and hurriedly push them in, it works, but there is a click.

Any idea how to fix this?
I should also note they don't fully close. They always want to stay open a little. Is this normal for a sog?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:28:44 AM by NKlamerus »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #214 on: February 26, 2016, 12:53:27 PM
My scissors get hung up right before folding in. The handle hits the cross member for the safety locks.
 If I pinch the tip of the scissors to close them and hurriedly push them in, it works, but there is a click.

Any idea how to fix this?
I should also note they don't fully close. They always want to stay open a little. Is this normal for a sog?

From looking at your photos it appears that the spring is hitting the end of the slot (closest to the tip of the scissors). Maybe if you file that end of the slot slightly (to increase the length of the slot) they would close properly ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #215 on: March 05, 2016, 06:52:26 PM
My scissors do that too.  They hang up on the divot in the piano lock.  I've just gotten used to tucking them in carefully.

hr Offline styx

Reply #216 on: March 05, 2016, 08:22:07 PM
well i found some rust spots on my SP2. just pitting but a bit disconcerting
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #217 on: March 05, 2016, 08:28:41 PM
Whereabouts?

hr Offline styx

Reply #218 on: March 05, 2016, 10:45:32 PM
base of can opener. pics shall come
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #219 on: March 05, 2016, 11:10:30 PM
Just get a replacement from SOG.

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #220 on: January 18, 2019, 01:09:40 PM

update from a long time, sorry for the digging.

I finally find a moment to analyze, dissec, and optimize my switchplier. The harder part was to find time, i did it with one of my newborn twins on the knee. no vids and i take sh**y pics only, not worth posting them.

The problem with my switchplier was the steel rod that action the plier: it was to short of 2mm. The handle inner length is 14 mm, so the stell rod must be 14 or a bit less. Mine was 12mm. So when i press the handle, the inner handle split away and the plier cannot close cpmpletly. And the plier was stuck as shown in my previous video.

I just make a new steel rod 13.8mm long, 3.1 mm diameter and my switchplier is now as good as i wanted it from factory.

Quite disapointed by this design or tolerance error, but if i can repair it, its ok for me.
Sorry if it has already said by another member, but i've been extremly overcharged this last 2-3 years (wedding, house, babies etc)

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #221 on: January 18, 2019, 02:49:16 PM

update from a long time, sorry for the digging.

I finally find a moment to analyze, dissec, and optimize my switchplier. The harder part was to find time, i did it with one of my newborn twins on the knee. no vids and i take sh**y pics only, not worth posting them.

The problem with my switchplier was the steel rod that action the plier: it was to short of 2mm. The handle inner length is 14 mm, so the stell rod must be 14 or a bit less. Mine was 12mm. So when i press the handle, the inner handle split away and the plier cannot close cpmpletly. And the plier was stuck as shown in my previous video.

I just make a new steel rod 13.8mm long, 3.1 mm diameter and my switchplier is now as good as i wanted it from factory.

Quite disapointed by this design or tolerance error, but if i can repair it, its ok for me.
Sorry if it has already said by another member, but i've been extremly overcharged this last 2-3 years (wedding, house, babies etc)

Maybe you could report the issue (and how you solved it) to SOG?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #222 on: January 18, 2019, 02:58:36 PM
Good work, Hellsing! :like:

The 2.0 is definitely an improvement on the OG SwitchPlier, but not without its' faults. Will definitely check the pin(and replace if necessary) in mine if I ever decide to carry it. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #223 on: January 18, 2019, 05:48:44 PM

Maybe you could report the issue (and how you solved it) to SOG?

yes, why not, but i tend to think this is more a manufacturing problem than a design error. there was 1 other forumer with the same problem as me, all other user seems to have a fully functional switchplier. at least on the switchplier 2.0 owner thread

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #224 on: June 09, 2020, 08:40:53 PM
I got a SOG Switchplier 2.0 today.

First thing of note, I thought this was a compound leverage plier, and I've read posts indicating such. It's not. The moveable plier jaw and handle are always at the same angle relative to one another, and the amount of force required to cut hard wire is akin to that of a regular plier multitool. (eg, it's FAR easier to cut with my PowerAccess). Okay, I can live with that....  but looking at the cutters themselves, there's less than 1mm of overlap. The cutters themselves are just over 1mm in height, and they overlap by only a hair. That is really, really unfortunate. This means as the pliers loosen up over time, the cutters will become completely useless. There's also no saving the cutters if you accidentally ding them, they're toast forever. Last issue is folding in the pliers. The jaws are rock solid when deployed, but when folding they can be cheated left and right by a significant amount. When putting the pliers away, the moveable jaw often sits on top of the can opener, instead of sliding in next to it. Not a huge deal. This gets in the way though. When I deploy the can opener without first deploying the pliers, I have to wiggle the jaws to make sure the lower jaw moves off of the can opener (with a SNAP). Then when putting the can opener away, I have to also cheat the pliers to the side so it will fold back in.  It'd be better if the tool kept itself aligned correctly even with the pliers in the stowed position.

Now, I went out and tested the cutters. The pliers to me are actually reverse leverage pliers. A regular set of small pliers can easily cut through 12ga romex. The switchplier required SIGNIFICANTLY more force than any other multitool I own. Even the little tiny keychain sized tools. And what's more, when I beared down to try and cut the entire sheath of romex, the pliers broke. I barely started putting any force on them, but they broke.

As I squeezed, the front of the tool spread apart and the pin popped out of the handle on the left side. This caused a galling of the slot in the handle, and now it pops out with even the slightest force.

Cutting romex should not break a multitool. It's one of the most used tasks for a good multitool. I had high hopes for this thing, I was going to put in the 1/4" bit driver and the wire stripper tools from SOG, but the pliers are so extremely light-duty that I do not think I'll be doing so. In fact, I think I will return this and not get a replacement.  The pin that goes through the plier head and engages the handle is too short, and the design means that the lightest-duty plier is more robust and can cut thicker wire. That's sad.

It's especially sad because I love the look of the tool and the feel of it in my hand. I love the fiddle factor. I love how it disappears when clipped in a pocket.  But if it breaks so easily, within the first 20 minutes of opening the package, then it's not suitable for actual use in any way shape or form :(

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD