Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody Carry a Hercules?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Anybody Carry a Hercules?
on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:54 PM

For some reason, I am really interested in the Hercules now. I think it has a good tool set in it and I've never had a 111 mm SAK before. Anybody carry a Hercules or one of the similar 111 mm models?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Re: Anybody Carry a Hercules?
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:47 PM
This may be considered heresy but with the introduction of the WorkChamp and the minimal price increase over the Hercules,the WorkChamp appears to be a better buy.

If you don't need the file or the pliers,then the Outrider will be your best bet.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:48:08 PM
This may be considered heresy but with the introduction of the WorkChamp and the minimal price increase over the Hercules,the WorkChamp appears to be a better buy.

If you don't need the file or the pliers,then the Outrider will be your best bet.

I'll agree with you on the WC.  I have also been looking at getting a 111mm and the WC looks like a better "deal".  Its not a small SAK from what videos I've seen but very cool. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:07:33 PM
I too am intrigued by the Hercules.  I'd like to get one to see how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:14:00 PM
The Hercs have great tool vs size ratio. I keep two in my emergency/weather/wildfire bags. A  handy all in one one SAK!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:22:25 PM
I've been wrestling with the idea of a Workchamp for almost a year  :o
couldn't find a 'preloved loved one' (even here) :(  so they must be worth keeping ?
think I've talked myself out of it now and I'm going to stick with my old faithful (champ) actually more function in a smaller frame, and legal in these here lands to EDC

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:35:41 PM
Another fan of the WorkChamp here. I had one years ago and I gave it away because:

a) It had the previous, softer, metal file I didn't like for this size. - They come with the newer one now :D

b) The :twak: the Phillips screwdrivers would give me every time I went to deploy or fold them back! - Vic seem to have dealt with this issue :tu:

c) I thought the can and the bottle opener seemed ridiculously small for the size of the SAK. - I still think the same, though I've come to realise they work well despite limitations imposed by the SAK's thickness and handle shape.

d) I thought it was too big to use comfortably, especially the Phillips SDs. I see now I was wrong. They work well, again with some limitations.

Seeing these improvements I got a new one. I love how the pliers provide tactile input on where to clench so as not to damage the knife blade. The WorkChamp has the same width as the Vic Handyman I EDC so I'm familiar with how it feels in the hand. Surprisingly comfortable, that's how it feels to me.

I haven't held a Hercules in my hand but I doubt it is much smaller or lighter than the WorkChamp. That said I like the Outrider on paper but I think I prefer combining a Rucksack with a Climber - and lose the Philips - instead of carrying one. I get the hook instead :D

I hope this helps.

:think: 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:37:27 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 11:39:20 PM
Sorry TD!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 11:49:59 PM
The only diff on the WC (besides the mini screwdriver) is one bay wider i.e. the metal saw.

A quick look on the bay and the WC's are about 20-25 bucks more so it's all very close...can't go wrong with either.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 12:51:49 AM
I have a Herc' but it usually rides in my bag. It's a bit much to pocket carry as an EDC item but I don't mind it when camping/hiking/hunting.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 01:04:45 AM
i often carry  111mm Hercules in the afternoons or on weekends.  I keep it in a pocket corded to a laynard

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 01:58:46 AM
At my favorite Vic dealer the price difference between the Herculese and the WorkChamp is $13.00,$63.00 versus $76.00 respectively.

I believe the OP needs to outline his needs,which will in turn dictate the knife required to meet those needs.

There are other choices as well with different tool load-outs.Vics such as the Rucksack,Atlas and Tradesman may also be viable candidates.

Good luck.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gr Offline firiki

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 03:20:37 AM
One thing I forgot to say earlier. These SAKs get heavy after four layers and also bulky enough to start feeling uncomfortable in the pocket, be it pants or jacket pocket, at least for me. This leads me to lean towards the Rucksack for pocket carry and the WorkChamp that most definitely is a tool to be carried in a bag or in a sheath, ideally placed on my backpack's shoulder strap, for maximum tool/weight/size ratio.

Decisions, decisions.

:ahhh :drink:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 05:05:09 PM

I am looking for an mt that isn't pliers based. I've tried plier based mt's and they just don't work for me. I don't find them comfortable. I have found that a non plier based mt and a separate set of pliers seems to be the ticket for me. Also, I have never had an 111mm SAK and thought it would be a nice time to try one. Looking at all the different models, the Hercules seems to have the best mix of tools (scissors, vic pliers, saw, drivers, etc.).
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:09:00 PM
I think I may have a slightly used one (the same Taxi Dad thought about buying, IIRC) - I´ll have a look if it is still with me or already traded. If it is, I´ll let it go at a friendly price so you can test it, if you want.
For me it is too much SAK to pocket carry but not enough pler to EDC it as a Tool.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 10:13:26 PM
Lowtech you have pm..

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:42 AM
Don't really want to start a new topic on this so might as well zombie up an old one.

Normally I'd be happy with a 111mm Outrider.  Unfortunately the current local market seems to have skipped that range in favor of either the very small or very big.  So between the Alpineer and Workchamp (unavailable in the nearby store), I opted for the Hercules.  Big locking blade, Scissors, eyeglass screwdrivers and that long, fine philips is just perfect on paper for my needs.

With that I'm gonna raise my hand to be part of the people who pocket carry one and take this tool for a spin.
IMG_1482.JPG
* IMG_1482.JPG (Filesize: 228.76 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69