Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How Do You Choose Your EDC Every Day? :D

N_N_R · 46 · 3172

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
How Do You Choose Your EDC Every Day? :D
on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:59 PM
Hi, guys,

Often having trouble making decisions or being impulsive at times... I usually have a huuuuge problem when deciding WHAT to carry on me :D I just love all my toys and sometimes it's hard to choose this or that wallet, this or that light, this or that MT/knife....  :poh:

So how do YOU decide what to put in your pockets/bag every day?  :pok:

:popcorn:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: How Do You Choose Your EDC Every Day? :D
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:03 PM
My backpack never changes,in my back pocket i always carry a pouch with my solitaire, swisstech micro max, mini pry bar,what changes is just the sak or pocket knife,makes life more simple  :D

daily edc
pouch +solitair+mini prybar+swisstech micro max /choose between 91mm vic or traditional slipjoint.

backpack, maxpedition organizer +cooltool,spirit,plasters,notebook,pen,zipties,#4 opinel

keys,gerber dime,pill capsule with plasters and safety pin ,small button type torch,

my only choice is what pocket knife i carry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:17:32 PM by Zed »

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:53:38 PM
I'm a minimalist.  I recently added a MiniChamp to my long time carry of a one layer, 84mm Electrician.  Recently switching it up with a Cadet Alox.  I hope to be testing the waters soon by trying a 91mm two layer Compact.

I've never been very fond of a 91mm EDC, but maybe because my only 91mm I have for EDC is a Champion.
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 02:56:56 PM
Always have phone, glasses, wedding ring and house keys so that's easy.

Then watch (pick one from two); light (one from three); wallet, tissues and lip balm (if I think I'll need them).

As for the tools, as long as I cover some essentials (blade, scissors, poky thing, pry tool/flat driver) I pick it on a whim.  Could be as light as an Alox Bantam with a Classic on my keys, or as hefty as a SwissChamp XLT + SwissTool. A Super Tinker or Explorer would be more than enough most of the time, but I'll take a multi to work or when I'm out on my bike - it really depends on how I feel, where I'm going to be and what I'm planning on doing.

And sometimes I'll just bung a pile of stuff in my bag so I can change my mind during the day. :D

us Offline getahl

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
My daily carry doesn't change much.  Wallet,  keys, bandanna,  phone, of course,  in rear left,  front right, rear right and front left pockets,  respectively. Chapstick, my E01 flashlight, my Gshock, and SAK Classic don't change. Most days,  the only thing that changes is the knife, which should be small,  thin,  and light for work.  Most days, that's a Case Blackhorn with a  tan,  plastic handle. Think it cost $13 at Lowes.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:22:47 PM
@hiratehus,  you put your wallet in the category "if I need them" ?! How come? :D

So, the conclusion I arrive at from your posts, guys, is that...... one should keep it as simple as possible, lol

Just.. I always have a phone (one), a wallet (one out of 4), a knife or two (out of .... many), two or three when I can't decide which one to take............. two or three flashlights (when I cant decide which one to take...) ....... omG. I made it complicated again. sigh.

I simply can't stick to just ONE of each either... for some reason. I always think.. what IF I lose it. what IF it stops working. And that's a bad bad thing, I think.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 03:32:59 PM
For me its a case that ive tried most stuff and im happy where iam now edc wise,as for phones,wallets and watches, these hardly change for me,yes some times i change my watch if say going out so need a more dressy watch,but daily edc is pretty much my G5600E and switched to my DW5600E for work,i dont carry much money as usually skint so wallets not a edc issue for me  :D

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:30 PM
Phone, wallet, keys- with vic midnite manager

work: name pouch with swipe in card, SAK in pocket

home/weekends or now (spring break) I will carry larger tool(111mm SAK or Gerber Pinchy) and sometimes other folding single blade. 

Today it is a Vic SwissChamp

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 03:43:34 PM
@hiratehus,  you put your wallet in the category "if I need them" ?! How come? :D

Well, firstly there's never any money in it. :D  If I'm just bumming around the house, or in the garden, or off to the park with my son then I don't bother.  If I'm going to work or the shops, then I'll carry it.  There's no requirement for us to carry ID in this country.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
@Zed, lol, I see, that's a valid argument, indeed  :tu: Us, the noobs, that are still experimenting and don't what we want..... we're in trouble :D

@hiraethus, lol, I see :D Maybe I freak out way too often, but since I experienced my first strong earthquake here a few years ago, I have always carried my wallet with me - so, whenever SHTF, I'll always have funds available... unless the S that HTF is so huge, there's no electricity whatsoever :X

Same goes for at least one knife and light - if something happens, I hope to at least have one of each to help me out if needed.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 04:14:07 PM
It really depends on what I think I will encounter that day.
If I am in the office I usually carry something pretty and unassuming.

I always have a decent knife, MT and flashlight.
Sometimes that ends up being just a SAK and a light though. (Office EDC)
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 04:21:18 PM
Early on it is really fun to experiment with what to carry.  I try to balance taking what I think I'll need ( based off experience ) and some fun stuff or stuff I want to try. 

MT/Light/SAK/PFAK  this is my standard for everyday.  I'll decide what MT given what I expect for the work day.  I'll choose a full size or mid, Surge. ST300, Swisstool, or Wave.  Days off I either go with a smaller MT like the Kick or just my Wave and no accessories ( bit card ). 

I tend to decide on the fly if I'll carry a dedicated folder. 

I'll carry 2 lights at night normally 2 of the same type cell. 

Keys have a Minichamp and button light always. 

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 04:21:55 PM
I have one watch (citizen Eco-Drive) and one torch (AAA LED Mini-Mag) so they're easy, then mostly my Monwoody as it has everything I usually need on it, unless it's Wenger Wednesday or Beat up April, then I'll carry something else.

BUT....It really doesn't matter that much because essentially I work from home and have access to my Monspirit, MonSI, Monsplorer, Moncruit etc if I 'need' them.

I don't like too much choice, just enough......
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 04:45:58 PM
This is what I've found to be most functional for me and (hard to) choose from :D

Oh, and the E01 and Micra always on my keys :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 04:48:30 PM
Ok how about
Light........ bring 2
Wallet.........  Pocket carry then smaller, purse carry then larger.
Knife...... Bring SAK and a folder. 
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 04:52:22 PM
So, some people, like Aloha, also THINK in advance about what they'll need... for work, for example.

However, I, like @magentus, am lucky (for me) to work from home... and therefore have everything available and then a whole day to wonder what to carry and what to choose... lol

And my biggest... problem currently, what actually inspired this thread, is if to carry the buck or the Spyderco both of which I got not long ago :D I've been carrying both for the past few days, but that's way too much metal... lol.

@Aloha, thank, yeah, I usually do that with the lights and the wallets... just again, the "problem" is WHICH one, lol :facepalm:

As for the SAK and folder, that's also kinda.. too much metal, like the example I mentioned above :D Or... I could combine my PS4 with a folder...or a SAK... to make it a bit lighter and smaller. omG. SIGH.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 04:54:50 PM
Easy.  LD12, brown wallet on right, Pioneer (but not that gold plated thing :P ).

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:16 PM
Easy.  LD12, brown wallet on right, Pioneer (but not that gold plated thing :P ).

That gold-plated thing is my only Pioneer  :twak:   :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 05:14:08 PM
This is what I've found to be most functional for me and (hard to) choose from :D

Oh, and the E01 and Micra always on my keys :D

you will think this all is best ,but you will try much more before that is true  :facepalm: ive even re-purchased mt's and sak's and knives  :D it can be never ending,but you will get there in the end  :salute:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 05:22:35 PM
@ Zed

LOL, I believe you! :D This is what works for me now, simply because I've tried very little of allllll the delicious things out there :drool: Just with the price of the dollar rising, everything cool gets more and more expensive these days :/

As for re-purchasing.. I'm not sure if you mean you now have the same items twice or what I've also done - I've sold some of my gear, then regretted doing it and purchased the same pieces again :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 05:31:24 PM
@ Zed

LOL, I believe you! :D This is what works for me now, simply because I've tried very little of allllll the delicious things out there :drool: Just with the price of the dollar rising, everything cool gets more and more expensive these days :/

As for re-purchasing.. I'm not sure if you mean you now have the same items twice or what I've also done - I've sold some of my gear, then regretted doing it and purchased the same pieces again :D

Yeah ive traded a tool/knife for another,realised that it was a better tool/knife so got it again,probably the best c example of this is my og wave,sent my original one i got in 98 to lm for a repair, they said they would have to replace it for a new one,eventually i decided on a replacement, sadly i didnt like the newcwave as much so sold it,well you guessed it i missed my og wave so Dunc hooked me up,my waves going know where now,others include the vic huntsman, explorer,farmer,ive also had at least 4 og supertools go through my hands but dont miss them as much,dont get me started on slipjoints  :ahhh  :facepalm:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 05:34:18 PM
Lool, good to know I'm not alone :D

I'm still a beginner here, so ... What you're saying's happened only to my LM PS4, a Fenix E01 and Olight i3/s (three times :facepalm:)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
Ok how about
Light........ bring 2
Wallet.........  Pocket carry then smaller, purse carry then larger.
Knife...... Bring SAK and a folder.

:imws:

Don't overthink it. Carry the same stuff for a couple o'days. When/if you begin to think "I wish I had my uodeva today...", next day take the uodeva instead of the other you've been carrying. Again, couple o'days with that setup. Repeat.

You'll end up having a more solid feeling about what you like/need to carry.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 05:43:47 PM
Lool, good to know I'm not alone :D

I'm still a beginner here, so ... What you're saying's happened only to my LM PS4, a Fenix E01 and Olight i3/s (three times :facepalm:)

it want end there  :ahhh  :ahhh but eventually you will know what works for you  :salute:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 05:48:50 PM
LOL, Nice the idea @pfrsantos :D Just... the moment I decide to have sth on me and leave the other thing aside, I wanna swap them! :ahhh

@Zed, you sit back and enjoy the show while I follow into your steps...  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 05:55:45 PM
LOL, Nice the idea @pfrsantos :D Just... the moment I decide to have sth on me and leave the other thing aside, I wanna swap them! :ahhh

@Zed, you sit back and enjoy the show while I follow into your steps...  :D

:popcorn:  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 05:56:15 PM

You would. Just think that if you had taken the other stuff first, you'd wanna swap, too. So just leave home with the first choice. If at the end of the day you feel you should have swapped, prepare your next day EDC and next morning take it, don't think about it. Say to yourself you already did all the thinking the night before.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 06:07:59 PM
Umm :think: let's see I pretty much just put on whatever watch I feel is good, pick which sak would be the best for the day, then just grab my pouch and walk out the door..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 04:34:05 PM
@NNR Working from home does present the challenge of beig with in reach of your tools however the idea is to get familiar with your gear thats on you and where it is on you. 

When you start your day "dress" as if you are going out, I like Pfsantos idea which is great.  Make sure to use your tools often even if for trivial things.  The more you use your tools and reach for them where they are on your body then should you NEED them you will instinctively reach for that area. 

Have fun with the process as I tend to carry my Swisschamp and my Ribbed Alox Cadet 2 at the same time.  I also had my 4 sevens Preon P0 on a neck chain and 2 lights in my pocket when on vacation recently  :D.

It's fun to mix and match and sometimes go minimal then go big.   

Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 04:39:30 PM
@Aloha, yyyeah, I do reach for my Lumintop Tool that's usually clipped to my ... neckline all the time. So this must be something I couldn't do without.

Again, yeah, because everything's within reach.. I don't have the will-power NOT to touch something for a long time, lol.

But since guys with a lot more gear than me have found a solution, I must, too :ahhh :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%