Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Looseness???

Biru · 14 · 2795

Offline Biru

Swisstool Looseness???
on: July 26, 2008, 07:20:26 PM
I've seen several posts referring to looseness of some of the implements on various poster's Swisstools. I tried mine and it's quite tight with no significant play at all- either forward/back or side-to-side. My question is: Is the looseness apparent on tools when they are new, or are the "loose" tools becoming that way after use?

My Swisstool has never been on my belt since I bought it. It's so perfect that neurotic me hasn't been able to use it (however, when I get another chance to take a long pack, I intend to carry it as my main tool). But these posts had me wondering if perhaps the rivet system or spacers loosen up after a while.

Thanks, Bill.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Swisstool Looseness???
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:01:44 PM
I've had my X a long time, and my Regular for a couple of month's, and there both as tight as they we're when I got them :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:26:44 PM
The only looseness I have noticed people mentioning is isolated to the plier pivot of older models. I haven't hear of any problems with the individual tools.

The 1998 ST I was mentioning recently had a really loose pivot, but the tools were all tight and still snapped like new...

[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:29:33 PM
The only looseness I have noticed people mentioning is isolated to the plier pivot of older models. I haven't hear of any problems with the individual tools.

The 1998 ST I was mentioning recently had a really loose pivot, but the tools were all tight and still snapped like new...

There have been quite a few reports on tool play.
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 11:32:46 PM
Well there you go. Please ignore everything I said then... :oops:
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 11:34:42 PM
I even did this (quality  :D) video;

I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:50 AM
what I've read/heard is the looseness is in Swisstools tools "after" they are locked open, a slight play in them
(which mine has) but nothing serious and not compromising to their function. and it seems it is
in them since new, not a wearing/used issue.

note: the Spirit does not seem to suffer from this.

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:54:58 AM
I was wondering about the looseness in the tools. I know I've seen a couple of posters say their tools were loose, but I didn't ask whether the locking system was allowing up and down motion or whether the tool was sliding sideways. I'm toying with making the Swisstool my EDC and retiring my Wave after recently realizing the usefulness of an awl (which the Wave lacks). I can't get on with my Legend and my Swisstool and I have a real thing. Also, thanks to Micky's post regarding the Vic Toolfinder , I went there and developed a serious lust for the Champ and the Spirit!!! :drool:  :D

Warmest Regards to you all, Bill.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 03:14:04 AM
I have quite a few SwissTools and there is plier pivot play on most of them.. I really don't care, it doesn't effect anything.. But, the lock looseness kills me!
B

Offline Hoghead

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 03:25:22 AM
My Swisstool has never been on my belt since I bought it. It's so perfect that neurotic me hasn't been able to use it

Thanks, Bill.

When I'm hesatant to use a tool because I don't want to dammage it I just buy a second tool for a back up. That way I can justify (at least in my mind) not only a second tool but using the first tool as intended. Now that is a win-win situation.  :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 04:44:06 PM
My Swisstool has never been on my belt since I bought it. It's so perfect that neurotic me hasn't been able to use it

Thanks, Bill.

When I'm hesatant to use a tool because I don't want to dammage it I just buy a second tool for a back up. That way I can justify (at least in my mind) not only a second tool but using the first tool as intended. Now that is a win-win situation.  :D

I hear you brother I hear you . I try to do this as well when I can . Glad its not just me then .I have a nice minty Swisstool at home and a really used ( but still great condition ) one for EDC .
  With regards to loosness , I've seen a few with loose blades and one of mine even has too tight blades . They never get worse . The plier pivot loosness is common and also never gets worse .

Dunc
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:46:14 PM by dunc5 »

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 06:44:53 PM
I am guessing the plier pivot play might be at least partially behind the redesigns of the plier heads over the years. Just a shot in the dark though. Does anyone know if the problem is less evident or even completely gone with the newer plier heads?

I am starting to suspect that plier play in my '98 ST was much, much worse than what you guys are talking about. I know how persnickety you all are, and there is no way you lot would have taken pliers like that in stride.

For cryin' out loud, the jaws would even wiggle up and down slightly with very light pressure (vs open & closed). All the LM fanatics here would have pounced on Vic for that like a pack of hyenas on a baby rabbit... :P
[

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 07:03:37 PM
Tiny amount of play in my ST,  not enough to matter in actual use.  None in my Spirit.

R

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 08:09:43 PM
Where is the play in your SwissTool, Andy?
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD