Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are the popular models by layer size?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
What are the popular models by layer size?
on: April 03, 2015, 11:59:55 PM
I know the most sold SAK ever is the classic, but I got to thinking about the 91mm size and what models are most popular. 

Is there any data anywhere saying what is the most popular 3 layer for example?  Climber probably?  For a 4 layer its gotta be between a huntsman or explorer.   :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: What are the popular models by layer size?
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:45:55 AM
I recently had a discussion with the owner of a local knife shop about this. He said that worldwide the Spartan and Climber are the best sellers, but in the US the Tinker and Super Tinker out sell them. In four layers it's the Fieldmaster and Explorer. Greater than four layers doesn't really sell that well except for the SwissChamp. He said he does single digits per year on Rangers, Craftsmen and Handymen. The thinking was that once someone goes bigger than four layers, they want the whole "give me everything" experience.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:47:35 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:58:52 AM
Interesting info. Thanks.  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:40 AM
Good info Jazz.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 09:55:56 AM
I find the huntsman and explorer a  good size +functions, but still usually end up with the handyman  :facepalm:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 10:28:49 AM
Sounds plausible,  thanks for the info jazzbass!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 01:57:46 PM
I recently had a discussion with the owner of a local knife shop about this. He said that worldwide the Spartan and Climber are the best sellers, but in the US the Tinker and Super Tinker out sell them. In four layers it's the Fieldmaster and Explorer. Greater than four layers doesn't really sell that well except for the SwissChamp. He said he does single digits per year on Rangers, Craftsmen and Handymen. The thinking was that once someone goes bigger than four layers, they want the whole "give me everything" experience.

Yup, that makes sense. Also a tendency we see here among out membership. The US crowd tends to gravitate towards the backlayered phillips and European and most of other folks towards the corkscrew.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 03:30:23 PM

Interesting, that does parallel with my experience about backside phillips vs corkscrew though.  Maybe worldwide the corkscrew wins, but north america phillips wins.  The one dealer I talked to said he sells a tinker to spartan at a 9:1 ratio but he didnt mention the thicker models data.

Above 4 layer data makes sense as if you go to 5+ you might as well just get a swiss champ.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 04:23:09 PM
Interesting information Jazzbass.It seems I align more with the worldwide buyers than the American buyers.

I don't know what other members like but I like the Spartan,Hunstman,Handyman and the SwissChamp.You can't help but notice that my favorites are two,four,six and eight layer SAK's.

I've bought most of the current models just for the purpose of collecting but I carry the four mentioned above and believe these to be the most useful.

Just my opinion and mileage may vary.LOL.

PS: I did go on a bender and buy seven Spartans and plan to add six more with different scale colors.Just one of the quirks of collectors I guess.LOL
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:10:33 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 06:42:30 PM
I gravitate towards the philips over the corkscrew, but it's admittedly not that handy on the back layer. Can't beat a swisschamp though, best of both worlds.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 06:42:54 PM
Forgot to add one that surprised me - the Fisherman. I said "I bet you don't move many of those" and he said that he actually sells a surprising amount of them. Being in suburban DC there's not much of a hunting culture here (because its all suburbs and there's nowhere to really hunt) but fishing is popular. There's a significant Latino population here and many are really into fishing.

Given the love of the backside Phillips in the US, I'm surprised the Grand Prix and the Master Craftsman aren't still in production here. Part of the reason that he didn't think he moved many Rangers is because of the corkscrew, and part was the "might as well buy a SwissChamp" thing.

IIRC, top sellers over all were (in roughly this order, working form memory here): Classic, Tinkers, Cadets, Super Tinker, Explorers, Fisherman
Good-but-not-great sellers were the Fieldmaster/Huntsman (said they were about equal), Spartan, Climber, Compact, SwissChamp.
Worst sellers were Mountaineers, Anglers, Rangers, Craftsmen, and Handmen. I don't think he even stocked the Handyman.

I did ask "what knife do you think you could sell a lot of if they made?" Here on MTO we like to think Scientists and Yeomen would sell like hotcakes if they were reintroduced. He disagreed - they're niche items. Guys that are super in to knives love them, but the average buyer just passes on them. The Scientist because it doesn't have scissors and the Yeoman because they are typically priced higher than an Explorer and most people see that as getting less knife for more money.

Anyway - the answer? A Cadet with scissors. People love the Cadet - apparently its by far the best selling alox knife and one of the best selling overall. And people love scissors in SAKs. Other than the Tinker, no one wants a SAK without scissors. A Cadet with scissors would be huge.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:44:11 PM by jazzbass »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 07:13:37 PM
Being in suburban DC there's not much of a hunting culture here (because its all suburbs and there's nowhere to really hunt) but fishing is popular.

What knife shop would that be?  I used to know most of the dealers in the Maryland area.When we would visit my wife's parents,I would visit some dealers including "The Knife Center" in College Park,Md.Unfortunately they've moved from that location to somewhere in Virginia.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 09:21:12 PM
Here in Germany it seems that the Huntsman is the most popular pattern per se. Many people own it, at least they have this in any of their drawers "just in case..."  ::)
I prefer the Climber / Super Tinker in the 3-layer version. The Explorer is a version I didn´t like that much in past, but now it is actually growing onto me more and more. In the 2-layer range I prefer the plain old Tinker.

About a year ago I talked to a shop owner who is selling SAKs and he told me Swisschamp is still rather popular.

Interessting read this thread...
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 09:50:17 PM
What knife shop would that be?  I used to know most of the dealers in the Maryland area.When we would visit my wife's parents,I would visit some dealers including "The Knife Center" in College Park,Md.Unfortunately they've moved from that location to somewhere in Virginia.

Edgeworks in Frederick, MD (no affiliation). It's the type of store where you imagine someone who is a serious knife enthusiast and give them the money to open a retail store. Frederick has one of the few thriving old school downtown cultures and they're big on supporting local businesses, so hopefully they'll be there a while.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 11:18:21 PM
I can see the Super Tinker or Climber being the more popular ones.  They are a great bang for the buck SAK.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 11:47:16 PM
Edgeworks in Frederick, MD (no affiliation). It's the type of store where you imagine someone who is a serious knife enthusiast and give them the money to open a retail store. Frederick has one of the few thriving old school downtown cultures and they're big on supporting local businesses, so hopefully they'll be there a while.

That's good information to know.

Next time we pass though that area I'll be sure to stop by Edgeworks.

I just referenced them on the internet.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 12:33:33 AM
Generally stopped in at Edgework whenever I hit the big gunshow at the Frederick fairgrounds. Nice shop; bought several items from them.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 12:58:26 AM
I can see the Super Tinker or Climber being the more popular ones.  They are a great bang for the buck SAK.

+1 :)

de Offline crackout

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 01:02:23 PM
I was an inline philips fanatic until I realized that I can get at almost any screw with the can opener.
Ever since, it's the Climber that gets my vote.
Say my name.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 06:36:30 PM
I love the two layer for everyday carry. The tinker if I go cellidor, or the pioneer?Wenger SI if alox. I much prefer the back mounted phillips over the corkscrew for many reasons. I am NOT a wine drinker, and most Bourbon bottles have twist off tops. Also, when riding the metro to go "downtown" Washington D.C., the back mounted phillips opened makes a great puncher. Have it stick out between the index and middle finger and it gives a bad guy a lot to think about when used right.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 06:57:31 PM
I was an inline philips fanatic until I realized that I can get at almost any screw with the can opener.
Ever since, it's the Climber that gets my vote.

Very true yes!  Also it can actually turn smaller phllips screws then the large full one.  If you mod it into a technician it even has good reach.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85