Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Back pain!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Back pain!
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 11:20:07 PM
I got into a urgent care today. All they said was it might be my sciatic nerve. They gave me a anti inflammatory and a muscle relaxer. I was told I might want to get a MRI. I just hope I ca get some relief for now and go from their.

That's what I thought, too. I have first hand experience with that and my disk slipping. Try to walk a lot with comfy shoes on, try not to stess your mind. Abdominal exercise also helps but you need to consult a speSmurfpillst. A CT-scan should be useful.

I hope it's nothing serious!
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 11:45:49 PM
I have had episodes of back spasms lasting weeks, and which were so debilitating that I could not roll over in bed.  It was a complete nightmare that supplants every aspect of your life.  I really empathize with people who have serious back pain.  After doctors and chiropractors, I found Dr. John Sarno on the interweb, and his approach totally helped.  And just telling my wife and mother-in-law about his approach helped them to stop going to the chiropractor.  It sounds kooky.  But its free, harmless, and worth a shot for anyone with chronic back pain.  I'm a total apostle of Sarno now.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection/dp/0446557684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428529276&sr=8-1&keywords=healing+back+pain

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 11:46:20 PM
8 months ago I got a slipped disk which gas trapped a nerve in my spine I had horrendous back pain and pain in my right leg . I also found out that my left leg was shorter so went to a podiatrist who made me some insoles to even me up.i was absolutely crippled for nearly 6 months  then I made a full recovery 2 months ago ,I felt better than ever as I was told my leg had been shorter from birth so that's why it had taken so long th recover from my disc and nerve trouble.
All was goin well till yesterday when it went again at work, now I can hardly walk again,the pains so bad it could make a grown man cry.
Sounds familiar sadly mate. Your approach to work has to change completely I'm afraid. When my back went the first time I was off work for almost 3 months and could barely walk for the first month. It then got good enough to go back to work ( it wasn't but I was pressured into coming back) and it was OK for a month, then I moved a car tyre with my foot, just gently slid it about 4 inches and I was in flipping agony and off work again for a further 2 months. Best advice I can give you is leverage is your enemy. If you have to lift weights keep it close to your core ect. Sadly you've got a weakness there now and you kinda have to baby it :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 11:58:05 PM
Thanks for you advise buddy and your right.
I'm in an awfull position , I like my job but it's the worst job when you have a back problem as I'm a groundsman on an arborist team so it's all heavy lifting and dragging etc.
I've got 4 days annual leave now so I'm hoping it will sort itself out.
But sadly I know it's not going to be a quick fix
Weasel

Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 12:34:15 AM
I was a care taker so I know what you mean :D

I felt bad but the lads I worked with were brilliant and although it made me feel like sh!te, they helped me loads with carrying ect.

In the end I got made redundant as I just couldn't do the job effectively.

Another bit of advice and it looks bloody daft is when your picking things up, stick your bum out as that keep your back straight ::)

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:33 AM

I felt bad but the lads I worked with were brilliant and although it made me feel like sh!te, they helped me loads with carrying ect.

Another bit of advice and it looks bloody daft is when your picking things up, stick your bum out as that keep your back straight ::)

I'm sorry you got made redundant , that's somthing that worries me but hopefully as I work for the local council if I was unable to do my current job, they might find me somthing easier.
Weasel

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 11:49:17 AM
This book could be worth a try: Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Back-Robin-McKenzie/dp/0959774661

Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 01:13:56 PM

I'm sorry you got made redundant , that's somthing that worries me but hopefully as I work for the local council if I was unable to do my current job, they might find me somthing easier.
Are you in the UK? If your in a Union its worth having a chat with them as an employer has a duty of care to you, but you will probably have to fight to ensure that. Also if you back went at work there could be a claim there :)

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 01:18:27 PM
Yes buddy I'm in uk and I'm in a union and yes it might be worth having a talk with them.
It's happened both times at work now  but don't now if I'd try to claim
Weasel

Reply #39 on: April 09, 2015, 02:58:29 PM
Well I didn't as I figured it was better to have a job than risk getting kicked out sooner for ruffling feathers as I doubt the money would amount to much. But there are other things the union can offer and I know UNISON helped me out, and actually liaised with management on my behalf as told my employer exactly how they should treat me :D

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 08:20:06 PM
Thanks I'll see how I am over weekend , I'm still hoping I'm going to get over it quickly  and not need much time off work , but yeah I think a talk with my Union rep will help
Weasel

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:45 PM
I slipped 2 discs when i was 17 and have suffered ever since,sadly its got worsecwith age  :-\ i find the heat patches give me some relief combinedcwith strong pain meds,good luck with your back  :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:41 PM
OMG, am I feeling it now, anyone else only have to be hunched over the kitchen sink for like only 30sec and it's worse then five hours over the workbench?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:22 PM
Yeah it can be like that :D

I remember it going getting a bag of veg out of the freezer! The bag barely weight half a kilo at best ::)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 11:37:10 PM
All I did was wash my water bottle, Grant it, it might weigh a pound full of water, but still it's that being hunched over, I just don't get why over the sink is so much worse then over the workbench?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Reply #45 on: April 09, 2015, 11:59:57 PM
I think if your bent over for a while your back kinda settles. Straightening up however...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD